Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Droids As A Playable Race

HeavensAgent
05.04.2012 , 10:03 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Vorgrumm View Post
But that doesn't mean that every droid that became truly independent/self-aware would follow the same logic. Or that their individual personalities wouldn't cause them to sometimes override logic. After all, R2-D2 was an independent droid as well, and it's hard to imagine him (it?) killing dozens or hundreds of people.
If they don't all behave in the same manner, it demonstrates that they are not basing their decisions in logic. Logic does not vary. It demonstrates that a droid is just as likely to kill you as the mentioned psychopathic Mandalorian.

That's irrelevant, though. Droids are seen as property, not people. This is true even of self-aware droids. Droids dop not have rights, and they certainly don't have respect. You indicate that only a small percentage of the galaxy views droids as objects, but it's the opposite that is true: Both the Republic and the Empire view droids as nothing more than property. As a result, droids as characters simply is not viable.

Vorgrumm
05.04.2012 , 10:16 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
It is STILL the underlying fear of Sentient Droids. While some do form friendships with their droids, the universe in it's entirety is not enlightened enough to accept Droids as anything but tools and weapons, that in the wrong hands and with the wrong programming, can ultimately be their demise.
The threat of the cliche "cold unfeeling machine that wants to kill all organics" is a legitimate fear in this universe. You are suggesting a LOT of hand waving to make this idea work.

An overarching theme of the storyline could be in dealing with that fear. The character either proves it unjustified, if only for a few characters, or goes off the deep end proving it true. Or shows that a sentient droid acts and reacts the same way that any other sentient would.

It's a kind of storyline that admittedly doesn't really fit this type of game, as it stands now. Probably never will. However, it's not (technically) against the lore, at it would be doable.
"There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles." -Frank Herbert, 'Dune'

Vorgrumm
05.04.2012 , 10:40 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
If they don't all behave in the same manner, it demonstrates that they are not basing their decisions in logic. Logic does not vary. It demonstrates that a droid is just as likely to kill you as the mentioned psychopathic Mandalorian.

That's irrelevant, though. Droids are seen as property, not people. This is true even of self-aware droids. Droids dop not have rights, and they certainly don't have respect. You indicate that only a small percentage of the galaxy views droids as objects, but it's the opposite that is true: Both the Republic and the Empire view droids as nothing more than property. As a result, droids as characters simply is not viable.

Logic isn't that streamlined. Someone tries to kill you, it is logical to fight back with the intent of killing them, thereby removing a threat to your life. It is also logical to fight back with the intent of subduing them and tying them up for the proper authorities, thereby both removing a threat to your life. Personality determines which you choose.

I never implied that only a select few viewed droids as property. I was pointing out that not everyone would react the same way to one.

And there are workarounds that would make them a viable class, which have already been mentioned.

Imagine:

Droid: Greeting, I am C4-X1. My master has learned that you are in need of assistance and has instructed me to render whatever aid that may be within my capabilities.

Quest-Giver: What? Why didn't he come himself?

Droid: He regrets that he is unable to speak with you in person, as he is attending to other matters. If you would prefer to speak with him, it may be some time before he is available. However, if there is something you need, I'm sure I can assist you in the meantime.

Quest-Giver: Bah, it's not like this can wait. Look, we've been having trouble with the blasted sand-people raiding our vaporators. Think you can handle that?

Droid: My master has seen fit to equip me with the latest in combat programming. I am fluent in six thousand forms of eradication.

Quest-Giver: That's nice. Just deal with them, and I'll see to it that your owner gets the reward.

Droid: You will not be displeased with the results. I will return to you shortly.

It's not like you don't accept dozens of quests from droids in the game with no obvious oversight or owner present.
"There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles." -Frank Herbert, 'Dune'

Rautamaha
05.04.2012 , 10:51 AM | #34
You forgot the return. "Oh, I don't pay droids."
-Hate is my Commandment-
-Hate is my Covenant-
-Hate is my Creed-

Vorgrumm
05.04.2012 , 11:04 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Rautamaha View Post
You forgot the return. "Oh, I don't pay droids."
"In that case my master has authorized me to obtain compensation by whatever means necessary" *blaster-fire*

Rautamaha
05.04.2012 , 11:35 AM | #36
Hello, scrapheap.
-Hate is my Commandment-
-Hate is my Covenant-
-Hate is my Creed-

SethPraeco
06.04.2012 , 08:28 AM | #37
Well, a Droid with a kind of neuronal CPU that has for some reason developed consciousness is, to my mind, not less vivid than a natural grown neuronal system and could be a playable race indeed.
But as Droids are considered to be slaves of frightened meatbags, BioWare would have to develope a new and independent framework for a Droids questing in order to not violate the lore. I do not think that would be worth the economic efford.

BTW: What about proposition infinity?