Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Will useless stats be removed in 1.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Will useless stats be removed in 1.2

dizzyMongoose's Avatar


dizzyMongoose
03.09.2012 , 08:21 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by downface View Post
Yes. Vanguards do use shields, but I was not aware that they actually perform a tanking role outside of soloing. The ranged tank thing is weird.

Corso Riggs is also technically a ranged tank but I seriously doubt many folks use him with Bowdaar available, who uses Strength btw.

Also, the only people who ever buy my purple +Aim tanking gear are sages. Just sayin'.
Actually, no, more Smugglers seem to use Corso, and he is indeed a (companion) tank. You get him first, so by the time you get Bowdaar, Corso is better geared. Plus Bowdaar isn't as effective with his AoEs turned off, so Corso is a better tank for Scoundrels who use a lot of CC.

In fact, I thought all the classes got a ranged tank companion, so not sure why you think it's so odd.

downface's Avatar


downface
03.09.2012 , 09:02 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by dizzyMongoose View Post
Actually, no, more Smugglers seem to use Corso, and he is indeed a (companion) tank. You get him first, so by the time you get Bowdaar, Corso is better geared. Plus Bowdaar isn't as effective with his AoEs turned off, so Corso is a better tank for Scoundrels who use a lot of CC.

In fact, I thought all the classes got a ranged tank companion, so not sure why you think it's so odd.
It is the idea of a ranged tank that I find odd. I am aware of their existence across the board as companions. Tank is hard enough to accept as there is no real-life comparison, but at least a dude who is in your face refusing to allow you do anything other than fight him can make logical sense. A guy standing at range is going to have a harder time keeping your attention when you want to kill something else. It's just a problem I have with the concept, that is all.

downface's Avatar


downface
03.09.2012 , 09:04 PM | #33
Actually, it is not so much the concept, as the title that bothers me. "Ranged" does not work with "Tank". You never tank at range, they only have the title due to the type of weapon that they use. So its a bit confusing.

Baelish's Avatar


Baelish
03.10.2012 , 04:14 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by downface View Post
Well you are wrong on at least one count there: The Knight companion, Doc, uses a scattergun (shotgun) and uses cunning as his primary stat. As stated by others above, there are stat combinations that companions use that are not used by players.
Sorry, but you just shot your own argument in the foot, there. Every player character (and companion who I've investigated, including Doc, just to check you didn't mistype) who uses a scattergun has Cunning as their main stat. Cunning is what scatterguns should have. It's scatterguns with Aim that need eliminating.

Yes there are a couple of combinations that PCs don't use on one side or another. Can anyone give any examples of the ones I mentioned? There are still combinations found out in the loot tables which no entity that a player can add equipment to uses, and the developers can easily access that information.

Tatumsa's Avatar


Tatumsa
03.10.2012 , 04:46 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by downface View Post
Yes. Vanguards do use shields, but I was not aware that they actually perform a tanking role outside of soloing. The ranged tank thing is weird.

Corso Riggs is also technically a ranged tank but I seriously doubt many folks use him with Bowdaar available, who uses Strength btw.

Also, the only people who ever buy my purple +Aim tanking gear are sages. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I pretty much only used Corso up until I got Guss on my 'slinger. I've got a leadership rifle on him at the moment, but trying for a veracity like I got with the techblade. I'm not wholey sure about using oranges on comps. I have most crafts at 400, so not aversed to try to get purples with the right stats.

Tatumsa's Avatar


Tatumsa
03.10.2012 , 04:50 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
Yes there are a couple of combinations that PCs don't use on one side or another. Can anyone give any examples of the ones I mentioned? There are still combinations found out in the loot tables which no entity that a player can add equipment to uses, and the developers can easily access that information.
There is my assault cannon with cunning and shield/defence.

downface's Avatar


downface
03.10.2012 , 02:41 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
Sorry, but you just shot your own argument in the foot, there. Every player character (and companion who I've investigated, including Doc, just to check you didn't mistype) who uses a scattergun has Cunning as their main stat. Cunning is what scatterguns should have. It's scatterguns with Aim that need eliminating.

Yes there are a couple of combinations that PCs don't use on one side or another. Can anyone give any examples of the ones I mentioned? There are still combinations found out in the loot tables which no entity that a player can add equipment to uses, and the developers can easily access that information.
Thanks for pointing that out, but... you are the one who is mistaken, friend. If you bothered to read the post that I was responding to, and quoted in my post, you would realize that I was correcting another person who had said that cunning scatterguns were useless. When you say every player character, you mean scoundrels. One class that is hardly represented in the player base. But that is beside the point.

TrevNYC's Avatar


TrevNYC
03.10.2012 , 07:38 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
I'd assume the "no shotgun or vibriknife needs aim or cunning" was a mistype.
I think it was awkward phrasing. I believe "no shotgun or vibroknife needs aim or cunning, respectively" was closer to the meaning.

As another point, I'm not sure why some posts lump defense into the set of useless stats. Obviously some classes/companions get more use out of it than others, but everyone can at least use it in the sense that every class has a defense stat.

Hardin_Steele's Avatar


Hardin_Steele
03.10.2012 , 08:19 PM | #39
Regarding the silly stat combos being removed, I have seen this discussed, but I cannot remember where I saw it. There have been similar issues is almost every other game crafting structure, and eventually it does get cleaned up. UO had this issue, WoW had/has it (still has some goofy stuff there, like the ranged items with tank stats, or shields with ranged stats). It is a common problem, and you certainly don't want to spend time REing these things for an even fancier piece of useless junk or unsellable/unusable schematic. Just don't know when it will get fixed, because these issues do not seem to be gamebreakers.

XViper's Avatar


XViper
05.03.2012 , 10:28 PM | #40
Is there a more recent version of this thread, or is it worth this one being revisited?
These issues are still a problem, even moreso with new items and augments.