LFG Tool Suggestion

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I didn't see a suggestions forum. Since a LFG tool would be used mostly with Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions I figured this would be a good spot.

Anyway,

I would like to suggest a "Looking For Group" tool for the game. No, not an auto-grouping feature like WoW's "Dungeon Finder", but rather a tool to expidite the formation of groups for group content.

The first aspect of the tool would be the ability to flag yourself as "looking for group". In the process of flagging yourself you would be able to designate what role (tank, heals, dps) you want to fill (which would be enabled/disabled based on your class + AC) as well as which Flashpoints, Operations, and/or Heroic Missions you are interested in running. The list of available Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroics would be limited by your level, elegibility, and possibly gear level.

The second aspect of the tool would be a search function for group leaders to quickly identify who is available to run a given mission. They would be presented with a search UI that allowed them to filter by Flashpoint, Operation, or Heroic Mission and the role they are trying to fill. Once a list of matches is found the group leader can use the tool to send a tell to ask people if they'd like to join and/or send an invite direclty from the tool.

People recieving an invite from the tool would see a message such as "You are being invited by <group leader's name> to join a group for <Flashpoint/Operation/Heroic Missing name>. Would you like to join?" That way it's not just a blind invite out of the blue.

This tool would not span cross realm or automatically form the group. It would be handy if the group leader had a 'launch' button that became enabled once the group was full that teleported everyone to the instance, but that's not neccessary.

I think the benefits of this tool would be:

1) Simplify the process of both finding a group and finding members for an existing group

2) Clean up the general channel from LFG spam

3) Encourage players to try advanced content

4) Promote grouping and social play

That's it.

Thanks for reading.

I think theres already a LFG function in game at lest in Beta testing the question forms ask did "you complete quest in a group of X size" and "how did you get the group?" and answers where general chat and LFG tool and something else.

Oh got ninjaed and that interesting ^^. Why is it in the Who section shouldn't it be a separate window/tab? Every other MMO calls it LFG not Who.

Edited by Kotli

I really like OPs idea considering the invite letting you know exactly what you're being invited for as well as the rest of his idea.

As the overall feature the OP is requesting is there, I also think this would be a nice thing to do when inviting through the LFG window.

The LFG system in WoW made the game and world soo much smaller. With people all day queing up in major cities such as Stormwind and Orgrimmar. From that moment, pvp around summoning stones and instance entrance became unknown to today's New wow players. I can see the LFG system working, but if that happens, the LFG system needs to make the group travel to the instance on their own, not by the LFG teleport. Plus it has to be on your own server only.. not other servers included. Edited by Daemagor

LFG in WoW (or Dungeon Finder, or whatever version you are talking about) evolved as the game evolved. The Dungeon Finder as it exists on WoW today only exists because WoW IS how WoW is today.

While a dungeon finder, as it exists in wow, is insanely convenient, or even meeting stones from before, in a game just launching for everyone they do exactly as what was already said in here (and by devs).. it makes the game world smaller, less populated, and causes a lot of content to be missed. Now sure that's optional and should be a player's option.. but we're playing the game the devs want us to play, and right now they want everyone to experience the content.. want everyone to be playing amongst everyone else, and want to socialize to a degree to LFG.. so that's what they want, that's what we do.

in the future, I see no need to reinvent the wheel. WoW's dungeon finder is near flawless... and classifying AC's by role should be overall trivial. make the dungeon difficulty selectable by the leader once the dungeon loads and you are good to go.

with that being said, I Can see why it's not in now, and can understand their point. so once I get in I'll just LFG like everyone else (or more frequently go in a guild group) and move on with it.

remember, when comparing to WoW or other MMORPGs, you can't just compare to how those systems exist now... it's a weird amalgamation of the things that were introduced in those games because as far as gameplay systems go devs just know better now, and what was introduced in those games because as the games matured, the priorities and goals of the general playerbase matured as well.

in the future, I see no need to reinvent the wheel. WoW's dungeon finder is near flawless...
Its definitely nowhere near flawless. It solved a few problems and introduced a whole raft of much worse ones - At the heart of it, the dungeon finder is completely indiscriminate and it removed players' options to control who gets to join their group.

When they replaced the LFG tool with the Dungeon finder, they removed the ability for people to have a say in who they were grouped with when using the tool, and at the same time removed the mechanism which allowed people to avoid all the well-known idiots or give preference to people who they had previously enjoyed playing with instead (Who would you rather play with? Someone who was fun to play with before? or someone who you met in a previous run who was rude and abusive?).

The fact that cross-server communication is impossible in WoW is another flaw with the cross-server part of it (although that could be solved in theory by having ways in which communities can form across multiple servers). There's nothing at all in WoW which lets players have the opportunity to filter out idiots from other servers, or even to know who those idiots are

The only way a Dungeon Finder can work is if there are ways in which players can keep control and override the automation (The old WoW LFG tool had an "auto accept invite" checkbox, but most people actually preferred not to use it). A minority of people are always going to act like chumps; the community needs a way to make those people known, and players need a way to avoid them; When something like that exists, then people who are rude, obnoxious and foul-mouthed will all either find themselves excluded from groups, or they'll learn the hard way how to be polite and respectful to other players - 5 years of the old WoW LFG tool before the dungeon finder shows that community self regulation can work very well :)

• 4 weeks later...
The LFG system in WoW made the game and world soo much smaller. With people all day queing up in major cities such as Stormwind and Orgrimmar. From that moment, pvp around summoning stones and instance entrance became unknown to today's New wow players. I can see the LFG system working, but if that happens, the LFG system needs to make the group travel to the instance on their own, not by the LFG teleport. Plus it has to be on your own server only.. not other servers included.

Some people actually dislike traveling across a large planet/galaxy to get to the desired dungeon because it just takes so long. Even if YOU go fast, there is always someone who is NOT going fast. They guy completing quests along the way, the dude who is gathering nodes along the way, the fella who lagged behind and got ganked....etc In fact, a lot of people dislike spending the time to go there at all. I never understand why folks think that just because they dislike an possible optional feature, NO ONE should be able to use it.

Also the notion that we need to "experience the content" so no auto shuttle is pretty lame imo. I experience the content while questing. I run around exploring when im looking for gathering nodes or trying to do world PVP. Forcing me to run through all that "content" repeatedly does not make the game "bigger"- just tedious.

Edited by KoranHorn

Some people actually dislike traveling across a large planet/galaxy to get to the desired dungeon because it just takes so long. Even if YOU go fast, there is always someone who is NOT going fast. They guy completing quests along the way, the dude who is gathering nodes along the way, the fella who lagged behind and got ganked....etc In fact, a lot of people dislike spending the time to go there at all. I never understand why folks think that just because they dislike an possible optional feature, NO ONE should be able to use it.

Also the notion that we need to "experience the content" so no auto shuttle is pretty lame imo. I experience the content while questing. I run around exploring when im looking for gathering nodes or trying to do world PVP. Forcing me to run through all that "content" repeatedly does not make the game "bigger"- just tedious.

What sets MMO's apart from other games is the immersion, the persistence, the scale of the game. In real life, when you want to go somewhere, you have to go there. You don't just get teleported there. MMO's are like a virtual life, they require a vastly larger time commitment than other games, that's how it is. Wanting auto ques or teleportation is an attempt to push out what makes an MMO an MMO. It wants to push out the time commitment. Usually, the only people who support things like this are lazy or casual players. It's not about it being optional, it's like wanting to lose weight but loving food too much. I don't want an instant que teleport flashpoint finder, but if they put it in, I'd use it for the convenience.

What was REALLY wrong with WoW's dungeon finder was that it gave special benefits and rewards to encourage people to use it, then the argument is not "if you don't want to use it don't use it", that would be making a conscious choice to obtain less, to opt out of rewards that will give other players advantages. It makes no sense.

Edited by Craxim

Stop trying to make TOR in to wow2. WOW is currently declining at around 800k+ people per quarter because the majority of people don't like it any more. The last thing BW should do is copy wow.

If you want wow, go back to wow and stop trying to screw up TOR for everyone else.

Get some brains and make a custom channel if you want a global LFG, like people did on my server.

Edited by NasherUK

Well we don't need automated lfd tool but rather improve lfg tool. Now it would be nice actually see players on entire server who is looking and what so you can actually find somebody. There needs to be more information. Now we can see few lfg words on WHO.

Automated LFD just solves problem to get things fast running since id does work for you. I have bad experiences from MMOs that allways force you to build group your own. Let me explain. When game goes on and most players get their gear up so evetually less and less people do normal flashpoints. Thats ok as far server is healthy size. But without any help you end up asking people to come for flahspoints. Like in WoW it was hours looking for people becaus they were lazy to wait, allways one guy was left to look for more and as class desing was bad there was allways lack for spesific roles. I don't want that happen so it's only reason somekind tool would be apriciated.