Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Firebrand & Stormcaller Threat issues?

demoncookie
05.03.2012 , 03:29 AM | #1
I was doing EC HM 8 man last night. I started on stormcaller every time and I would lose aggro at least twice (meaning I had no taunt up to change to firebrand or DPS would die on stormcaller side due to taking DD and getting one shotted by the cleave).

We gave up and went to go to EC SM just for easy black hole commendations and one shotted Stormcaller and firebrand with no aggro issues whatsoever on EC NM.

guardian tank (played by me)
commando healer & DPS
and sentinel DPS

the classes above where what we had on stormcaller

Wondered if anyone else had had aggro problems? or if I was just failing badly them few tries?
-Kiakri-
Lorem Ipsum
Nightmare Lands

Dargtraln
05.03.2012 , 03:47 AM | #2
I'm ( jedi guardian aswell) are also losing aggro on stormcaller. But thats mainly becuase our dps are putting out to much damage at the start of the pull.

What bothers me most is that when tanking stormcaller i get no stacks of fully talented "Courage" and not a single Riposte proc when fighting hem. Its been this way at every try we made on this boss

demoncookie
05.03.2012 , 03:50 AM | #3
Normally I'm okay with the group we are running worked fine with toth and zorn didn't lose aggro once unless i ****ed my taunts up at the beginning

doesn't really explain how we could go into SM and have no problem at all (though we did change the people play) changed a GS for commando and swap the sentinels around.

Other guardian tank said he has no problem which i find extremely weird :/
-Kiakri-
Lorem Ipsum
Nightmare Lands

Maestrodomus
05.03.2012 , 09:44 AM | #4
He's finicky, but you have to know what you're doing. You have time to put out a taunt after the first 4.5-6.0 seconds following a couple +hate abilities and you should have him locked with a taunt up for the incinerate switch..
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]

Semitote
05.03.2012 , 09:49 AM | #5
Not ashamed to admit it, but I had to switch to Firebrand and let our Assassin tank Stormcaller at the beginning. That pretty much alleviated all threat issues. I did start popping a power adrenal at the beginning of the fight as well even on the Firebrand side to ensure I held aggro.
Semee - Legacy 39 - Valor 83 - Social VIII - Juggernaut
The Fatman Nerf Dialogue World #1 8M Empire
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."

Talorra
05.03.2012 , 09:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dargtraln View Post
I'm ( jedi guardian aswell) are also losing aggro on stormcaller. But thats mainly becuase our dps are putting out to much damage at the start of the pull.

What bothers me most is that when tanking stormcaller i get no stacks of fully talented "Courage" and not a single Riposte proc when fighting hem. Its been this way at every try we made on this boss
I'm not a tank, but as a Sentinel I do have Riposte. Take a look at the damage type that Stormcaller does and the types that have to be defended for Riposte to proc. Courage may be affected just the same.
M'arik <Intrepid> 16-player Progression The Harbinger
IntrepidOps.com | Live Stream | Recruitment Thread | @Twitter

Enderet
05.03.2012 , 12:37 PM | #7
If you are having threat issues, pop a power adrenal when you first jump in, and start off the fight using a STR stim. Make sure your rotation has hilt strike, guardian slash, and Master strike early. Order the dps on your side to use their aggro dumps.

If taunts and the extra damage from the power adrenal an str stim arent enough, then you might want to double check your itemization, spec, and rotation.

I tank SC on HM at the beginning of the fight as a guardian and have no issues.

paowee
07.30.2012 , 11:17 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Enderet View Post
If you are having threat issues, pop a power adrenal when you first jump in, and start off the fight using a STR stim. Make sure your rotation has hilt strike, guardian slash, and Master strike early. Order the dps on your side to use their aggro dumps.

If taunts and the extra damage from the power adrenal an str stim arent enough, then you might want to double check your itemization, spec, and rotation.

I tank SC on HM at the beginning of the fight as a guardian and have no issues.
when do you use your single taunt? also do you follow it up with the aoe taunt ?
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Mavery
07.30.2012 , 11:28 AM | #9
If you're having threat issues I recommend the following:

1) DPS stim
2) DPS adrenal
3) Use your single-target taunt at the 4-6 second mark, then your AOE once the first taunt falls off

If you're still having issues, you'll need to defer to your other tank. Guardian threat gen is the lowest of the three tanks. That might be the issue as well.

edit: I'm also assuming you're 31 points up the Guardian tree and not hybrid. Hybrid has no chance to hold threat on SC.
Elidibs Draconis, Kinetic Shadow
Yup, I'm back. Miss me?

dipstik
07.30.2012 , 11:29 AM | #10
you want to use your single taunt after you do 2-3 damage abilities, because taunts magnify your existing threat.