Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR.exe Running Twice in Task Manager

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
SWTOR.exe Running Twice in Task Manager
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

D6-R8
12.17.2011 , 01:43 PM | #21 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by MaskedDriver View Post
Unused memory is wasted memory. As long as they're not using 100% of your CPU and 100% of your memory, you shouldn't see too much of a system hit from it.

There are actually several games that I've played that have two executables. It could possibly be some sort of load-balancing feature or something. Try force closing either one of them. The entire client goes down. There is a purpose for them both.

Hi all,

This is to confirm to you that the two processes you see running when launching the game are working as intended by the designers and developers of Star Wars: The Old Republic. There is no reason to be concerned about them taking up too much system resources.

Thank you for your enthusiasm for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

D6-R8 | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Maverickroll
12.19.2011 , 11:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by D6-R8 View Post

Hi all,

This is to confirm to you that the two processes you see running when launching the game are working as intended by the designers and developers of Star Wars: The Old Republic. There is no reason to be concerned about them taking up too much system resources.

Is there any way to make it NOT use two swtor.exe's? I mean sure if its by design ok it has a function but both of these combined are using over 2GB of memory and taxing cpu to almost 100% spread between them. My system is not the greatest of pc's but it meets minimum requirements it shouldn't be using that much Single digit frame rates are killing game play.
Red Shirt Army Podcast
Your weekly SWTOR podcast for news, community happenings and no pants.

Maverickroll
12.19.2011 , 11:51 PM | #23
*edit* sorry double post, my bad
Red Shirt Army Podcast
Your weekly SWTOR podcast for news, community happenings and no pants.

kookyabird
12.19.2011 , 11:58 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Maverickroll View Post
Is there any way to make it NOT use two swtor.exe's? I mean sure if its by design ok it has a function but both of these combined are using over 2GB of memory and taxing cpu to almost 100% spread between them. My system is not the greatest of pc's but it meets minimum requirements it shouldn't be using that much Single digit frame rates are killing game play.

The fact that there are two processes int he task manager has nothing to do with how your game is performing or affecting your computer. If there was only one the same amount of resources would be taken up.

Also, I enjoy the irony of someone double posting in this threat.

Kanashibary
12.20.2011 , 06:50 AM | #25

Hi all,

But they are using up allmost all of the 4 gigs ram I have installed after a while.
With the game becoming more and more jerky, jittery or however you want too call it over time.
Until the point where I have to restart the game to clear the RAM.
Think one or both of the executabels need some re- rammusagewriting in the code...
POWERTECH

Exithole
12.20.2011 , 07:04 AM | #26
Many people are having this problem. The combined total use of both SWTOR.exe is taxing many computers past the minimum requirements for play.

My roommate played the Beta problem free and now can barely move on the lowest of settings. Tabbing out is almost impossible and I believe the account is going to have to be cancelled because it can't be played.

It doesn't matter if this is running as intended if many computers can't play it even if they meet the requirements.

And before all you naysayers are like "are you sure its the double copies" every setting has been attempted on every resolution available and the game has been uninstalled and reinstalled.

mufutiz
12.20.2011 , 07:12 AM | #27

Hi all,

thank you so much for replying!!

I have been wondering about this.

While it is good to hear that the two processes are normal, I secretly hoped they weren't and this would be the reason why my game becomes unplayable in warzones...

Quote: Originally Posted by Exithole View Post

My roommate played the Beta problem free and now can barely move on the lowest of settings. Tabbing out is almost impossible and I believe the account is going to have to be cancelled because it can't be played.
there were 2 processes in beta already so if something changed it must be another thing.

Warzone performance was horrible already in beta for me, so nothing really changed for me

Saxtus
12.20.2011 , 07:22 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kanashibary View Post
But they are using up allmost all of the 4 gigs ram I have installed after a while.
If the game needs more than 2GB to work properly, then using two processes is a way to do it, so it will be compatible with 32-bit environments, where a process can't utilize more than 2GB at a time.

More info here: http://superuser.com/q/253633/19382

netrider
12.20.2011 , 02:35 PM | #29
i fixed this issue by turning "Tesselation" to off instead amd optimized under AMD catalyst
now i have above 70fps before i had 20-30 and the game crashed after a while

Boodicca
12.20.2011 , 05:57 PM | #30
And where is this "tesselation?"