Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Way to make Cred in Crafting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Best Way to make Cred in Crafting?

Ternesyav
05.02.2012 , 11:48 AM | #1
Here is the whole question: How can I make SOME credits from BASIC crafting (leveling) WITHOUT selling ingredients, spamming missions or wasting a lot of time running around 'farming' ingredients?

I have seven characters, and I am leveling up my crafting as I go. The aspect I enjoy most about crafting is creating gear for my toons as they need it. Currently, I have a lvl 50 Artifice/Arch/TH, a lvl 50 Armortech/SLIC/UT, a lvl 42 Cyber/Salv/UT, a lvl 30 Bio/Bio/Diplo, and the rest are all low level. I have one point of duplication - that being Armstech (or *mech - can't remember).

I use my Slicer to grind missions for everyone - they help to get artifact ingredients. I do sell some missions, but I'm not clear on the best ways of making money.

Now - everybody knows, the game is dynamic, and what made creds yesterday won't (necessarily) work today, and so-forth tomorrow. I'm just looking for some general ideas, because I'm SICK TO DEATH of running dailies for creds for crafting!

As with EVERY OTHER MMO, SWTOR punishes crafters. I don't wish to waste huge gobs of resources testing different approaches, nor do I want to spend ALL MY TIME grinding missions and crafting. I enjoy LEVELING most in the game (end-game sucks straw - nearly as bad as PvP *shudders*).

I thank you in advance for your CONSTRUCTIVE feedback ... and apologize for my whiny *****y attitude.
~'*'~ +..{}..+~'*'~ +..{}..+../^\&/^\..+..{}..+~'*'~ +..{}..+~'*'~
DISCLAIMER: By reading this post, the READER hereby acknowledges that all information contained herewith is, by definition, polite and fully within the rules set down within THIS forum and in no way warrants actions against this poster.

IconicNStarwarsy
05.02.2012 , 12:10 PM | #2
I don't craft a whole lot for sale, but orange items do net a bit of credits, and a bit more if they are augmented. Apart from that I sell Companion Gifts to make up for mission costs.
- PvPimp

Bethmora
05.02.2012 , 01:07 PM | #3
It was easy to make credits before 1.2 the GTN is so messed up right now nothing sells. Before 1.2 you could find 10-20 pages of mats for UT now 2-4 if we are lucky on our server. Its a mess, wish BW would fix it, dont know why they have not.

Swijr
05.02.2012 , 01:33 PM | #4
Find a niche market. There are many of them. Follow the forums and the players on your server. I'm a techblade crafter myself and even with the introduction of modable blades, I still sell QUITE a few of them and make plenty of money to fund my toons.

Swijr
.: System :. | Jedi Covenant | Republic PVP Guild | Chat Info

LuckyKnight
05.02.2012 , 01:41 PM | #5
It really depends on which crafting skill your talking about. Different skills have different things that sell well/don't sell well and you need to research what that might be for any particular crew skill. As an example, my main has synthweaving and I always get a chuckle out of people who say synthweaving is worthless. It not only kept me better geared than just relying on drops/rewards would have but, starting in the 30's allowed me to make money selling purple items. I now make about 100k per day selling purple armor from lvl 9-39. I assume that Armortech would have a similar potential.
Deltus
Level 50 Shadow Tank
Deadweight - The Harbinger

Dabrixmgp
05.02.2012 , 02:21 PM | #6
I make 100-120k a day just from having all 3 gathering skills and I dont even farm. I just keep 3 companions running missions, which ever of the 3 has rich/bountiful available nothing less, while I also pick up whatever I come across while questing. Id rather put something on the GTN that has a 100% chance of selling like mats than a purple or orange that might not sell. Break up my mats in stacks of 20 and what ever the highest price is I sell for half. So if some guy is selling for 800-1000 per item I sell it for 400 per. I wake up with 30-40 mails of sold items every morning. Only 32 and have over 1 million credits and I think my character is only like a week old so not bad. Was a reroll so I figured Archy, Bioanalysis, and Scavenging would be my best bet and it hasnt let me down. Been finding Grade 3 and 4 mats fly off the GTN sometimes before I even leave fleet.

I tried crafting on my mains. Couldnt make anything off cybertech. Biochem I made a little off level 21 and 25 epic implants but not as much as just selling the mats. Also had Synthweaving and while selling an Aug slot orange was nice credits I only sold a few a week.

GnatB
05.02.2012 , 03:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ternesyav View Post
Here is the whole question: How can I make SOME credits from BASIC crafting (leveling) WITHOUT selling ingredients, spamming missions or wasting a lot of time running around 'farming' ingredients?
For the most part you can't. For reasons I don't really understand, the prices of most mats on the GTN are so absurdly high that it is virtually impossible to sell anything you would make using them for a profit. (Every once in a while you will find something reasonable priced if you search often enough though... at least on my server, anyways) But other than those occasional reasonable finds, the only way to profit by selling crafting items is if you are obtaining the mats to make them yourself. Either by running around gathering the mats yourself, or by sending your companions off on harvesting missions for the mats.

(and then, assuming people are actually stupid enough to pay those prices on the GTN, you'd probably make more money selling the mats than the finished items)

Saeria
05.02.2012 , 04:12 PM | #8
Sell the raw materials. Don't sell finished products.

This makes a lot of sense. Because the raw materials are time-consuming to gather, the finished products are often overlooked by a lot of people because either they can make it or have alts who can make it or friends and guildies. Essentially, they don't value the time spent either learning the recipe or the opportunity cost of crafting it.

Part of this of course is because recipes are not rare and virtually anyone has access to the recipes sans cutting-edge raid drops.

In short, recipes aren't rare, as such end products don't sell well. Sell the materials.

Dabrixmgp
05.02.2012 , 07:58 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Saeria View Post
Sell the raw materials. Don't sell finished products.

This makes a lot of sense. Because the raw materials are time-consuming to gather,

In short, recipes aren't rare, as such end products don't sell well. Sell the materials.
I dont see how getting mats is time consuming at all in this game unless you have every class at 50 and thus arent rolling alts. I just rerolled and just from running around questing I pick up loads of stuff having all 3 gathering skills. I never go out of my way to get something and if theres mobs guarding it I just keep moving. While Im questing I send my companions out on gathering missions. At the end of the day I spent ZERO time farming as everything I obtained was during the natural course of leveling. Just like people use to say in WoW the best way to get gold is to roll an alt and gather as you level and that income along with quest rewards will be a ton of currency. Same seems to be true here.

But in the end I guess it depends on your server. Im on a High population server with both sides almost 1:1 or pretty damn close to it. So my mats sell every single night while I sleep and nothing is mailed back to me. On the other hand theres like 6-7 crafters selling augs and orange gear so you would have to play undercut wars with them. 90% of the time when I post my mats its just me. I could set whatever price I want but Im not a douche so I price my stuff at 8000 for stacks of 20 level 3 and 4 mats and its enough for me and cheap enough for everyone else.