Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

prediction: this game is too 'closed' to be a long-term successful MMO

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
prediction: this game is too 'closed' to be a long-term successful MMO

WLpride
12.17.2011 , 12:57 PM | #1
From what I see so far, it's a great game indeed but much of the system is apparently not designed to scale well with large population, for the lack of a better word 'closed' is all I can come up with.

Sorry I'm not going into specifics because I don't feel like beta testing this game for BW, but it's just the general feel I'm getting.

- no addons allowed (sure they will come but will it be too late by then?)
- not enough scenarios and no choice of queue
- no server transfers announced yet (probably will also come eventually)

So basically I feel that BW want's the players to 'play' within their bubble of creation and to experience the game as they imagined, which to me, that concept belies the nature of a MMO.

More freedom!!!

Wibwob
12.17.2011 , 12:58 PM | #2
The level of stupidity in this post is over 9000.
Blood, sweat and more beers.

bigoldbear
12.17.2011 , 12:58 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by WLpride View Post
From what I see so far, it's a great game indeed but much of the system is apparently not designed to scale well with large population, for the lack of a better word 'closed' is all I can come up with.

Sorry I'm not going into specifics because I don't feel like beta testing this game for BW, but it's just the general feel I'm getting.

- no addons allowed (sure they will come but will it be too late by then?)
- not enough scenarios and no choice of queue
- no server transfers announced yet (probably will also come eventually)

So basically I feel that BW want's the players to 'play' within their bubble of creation and to experience the game as they imagined, which to me, that concept belies the nature of a MMO.

More freedom!!!

No specifics, no value.

Qoojo
12.17.2011 , 01:00 PM | #4
So treat it like a SP game. 8 different stories, at least 40-50 hours each (BW claims 200, but I do not believe that). That seems like a lot more than the typical MMO. Plus, you can still do the grinding/farming thing if you wish.

This post is Wookie approved and
IEEE 9000 Ewok tested

WLpride
12.17.2011 , 01:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Qoojo View Post
So treat it like a SP game. 8 different stories, at least 40-50 hours each (BW claims 200, but I do not believe that). That seems like a lot more than the typical MMO. Plus, you can still do the grinding/farming thing if you wish.
yes, I agree with this sentiment. I will enjoy the SP aspect very much.

Rafkin
12.17.2011 , 01:08 PM | #6
Those are probably the 3 worst reasons I've ever seen. Plus those are three things that lots of MMOs don't have at release.

HillbillySith
12.17.2011 , 01:09 PM | #7
Oh dang, the OP has enlightened me, I'll run right out and cancel both my sub's.......
Dont run little jedi, you will only die tired and sweaty....Bwahahahaha
If your not a part of the solution...your a part of the body count

Loxion
12.17.2011 , 01:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Those are probably the 3 worst reasons I've ever seen. Plus those are three things that lots of MMOs don't have at release.
Those are 3 things that some MMOs don't have long after release
Anything above is purely the opinion of the poster, unless otherwise stated

The Knights Who Say Ni - Republic Guild

jollycynic
12.17.2011 , 01:14 PM | #9
I think I can somewhat see the legitimacy of the UI addons gripe. The fact is, if you're an MMO veteran you're used to having a lot more tweaking and polish to your UI. The littlest things can suddenly become more difficult and therefore frustrating to manage. For example, group UI frames don't display numerical health totals, let alone give me the option to display health deficits rather than totals. Suddenly to heal I have to manually click on a player and then do some quick math in my head just to decide if a player needs a heal and if so, which one to employ.

This is a small example, but I think it conveys the point. UI issues may seem small, but can make a big impact on comfort and smoothness of the playing experience. While I think that UI addons are a needed option, the bigger issue IMO is that the baseline UI should have had more polish and customizability.

I know it seems like a whiny thing, but my instinct here tells me that more players than you think eventually quit an MMO because weaknesses in the UI harm the feel and flow of playing.
fidelity to reality is intrinsic to the highest of self-respect

mandrillagon
12.17.2011 , 01:17 PM | #10
We don't need negative predictions here. We are a positive community that loves the game.