Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

amnie
05.02.2012 , 05:03 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasgallant View Post
i would have killed quinn in a heart beat.. who cares if i cant send out a 5th companion and keep a guy out with me.. maybe they will let us kill them when more companions become avaliable.
heh, maybe. I wouldn't mind kicking him off my ship, either

Nukenin
05.02.2012 , 05:05 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
Actually you only need 1 of them. They did a huge mistake and giving you the player 5 companions.[]
Crew skills.

dazednconfuzed
05.02.2012 , 05:54 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
Actually you only need 1 of them. They did a huge mistake and giving you the player 5 companions.'
Everyone should have no more then 3. 1 tank 1 healer 1 dps.
Of course sadly the companions role is nothing else in swtor something that will have to die first so the players
can maybe kill that mob group without maybe dying himself.

Companions is a sad joke in swtor. The tanking companions cant tank what so ever.They can
take agroo but that about it. The healing companions are a complete joke, and at low midd lvl they have no function what so ever. Same with the "DPS" companions.Their dps is well a joke to be honest.

Sad fact is unless you are +4 to any mob in this game you will feel un heroic and like a joke
Why will you feel like a joke ? because without companions in swtor you will die do any mob group
like 2 strong mobs and 3 weak mobs in no time.Companions have 1 purpose, to be killed within a time
that you can manage to kill most of the enemies if you are lucky.You know like other games the "hero" is you.
Not in swtor, your just someone to follow a line while getting companions you need to grind gear for in the hope they actually have a good story to them.

My advice is, grind mobs you own lvl alway until the mobs are -5 your lvl then do the mission, atleast that way you will feel alittle heroic and can sometimes solo the stronger mobs groups.Now a skilled player have np taking on mobs his own lvl i'm talking about new players to the mmo genra etc and players who is not so good as some of the others more veteran players.

But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.
I'm level 47, and have used Khem as my tank since I got him. A day or two ago, I traded him in for Xalek, and last night, we finished my class story arc. Most of the way through my levelling, I have been questing at one or two levels above my level, and have not had a single problem with either of my tank companions.

Both Khem Val and Xalek make for excellent tanks (even with Xalek's shield being bugged).
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

bright_ephemera
05.02.2012 , 07:27 AM | #24
All companions are brought on board as part of your primary class line. If you do your class quests, it is impossible to miss them.

No matter how much you might want to.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Guildrum
05.02.2012 , 08:28 AM | #25
I hope that in Chapter IV (Post-50 content when it comes around) we get optional companions. Just think.

By 50, you have...

Your two tanks
Your healer
Your Melee DPS
Your ranged DPS

So why not have the option to say "forget you" to any new companions coming around? Lazy bum of a Bith trying to hitch a ride on your BH's ship? Heck no! Or maybe that potential Geonosian Companion insulted you one time too many? Go be eaten by a Rancor.

Sure, people might get upset, but at least people won't be losing their only healing companion.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Guildrum
05.02.2012 , 08:32 AM | #26
Quote:
But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.
Are you keeping them geared? And are you turning on every ability they have? Those are important aspects, healing companions suck unless you turn on all their abilities as you level.

When I got Guss Tuno, the Smuggler's healer companion, I was massively impressed by his healing and wondered why Dorne never healed so well. Well duh, Guss had more healing abilities turned on for him to use than Dorne. Same goes for all types of companions, hence late-game companions being seemingly better at what they do.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

KorinHyvek
05.02.2012 , 08:46 AM | #27
I've seen both Healing and DPS companions work spectacularly for me (haven't hit the endgame yet with a DPS or healer, so I haven't tested tanks out yet). The problem is there are some people who would be better off if they had no control over their companion whatsoever. Companions really can't do much if you haven't tweaked their abilities appropriately (Healing companions should only have access to their CC in a couple of very specific fights), and if you don't keep your companion in decent gear, you really shouldn't be suprised when they die so quickly.

Once you hit the end game and start giving your companions leftovers from HM flashpoints, you quickly realize just how competent your companions could be if you actually gave them good (Blue grade) gear. Healing companions can survive on green items, but DPS and Tanks? Not so much.
The Ferrin Legacy, Ebon Hawk
Major Volner Ferrin // Darth Hessar

Captain_Zone
05.02.2012 , 02:10 PM | #28
It's probably already been said, but some companions SHOULD be Optional. They should give the option to kill or recruit them. *cough*Skadge*cough*
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.