Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

Chindi
05.02.2012 , 03:46 AM | #11
Sith warrior story point spoiler inc...
I was really disappointed
Spoiler
Not very Sithy tbh.
Spoiler

Darth_Moonshadow
05.02.2012 , 03:53 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
If SWTOR companions could choose to not become a part of your team, the forum would catch on fire. Threads after threads of complaints and demands... "This is stupid! My companion doesn't want to be a part of team!!!"... "We do a rollback now or I leave the game!!!".... "Wow! Great idea! Now I'm stuck with only 2 companions at lvl 50!!!".

I think it's a good thing Bioware is protecting us from losing potential companions. Let's just say the world isn't ready for a Mass Effect mmo.
When in Mass Effect could you lose potential companions? Outside of Samara, who gets replaced by her identical twin daughter and no one realizes it save for Kelly and Kasumi, you never have a companion leave you over your choices.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

LilSaihah
05.02.2012 , 04:07 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
When in Mass Effect could you lose potential companions? Outside of Samara, who gets replaced by her identical twin daughter and no one realizes it save for Kelly and Kasumi, you never have a companion leave you over your choices.
ME1: Kill Wrex, kill Kaidan or Ashley, you had the potential to never recruit Wrex or Garrus.
ME2: Morinth/Samara, Zaeed can die during his loyalty mission, Legion can be sold to Cerberus, Grunt can remain casked.
ME3: Tali swandive, kill remaining ME1 squadmember. Lost companions depending on deaths in ME2.
The Ebon Hawk
Clerise - 55 Sniper | Nazani - 54 Sorceror
Erinya - 55 Sentinel

Naphariel
05.02.2012 , 04:08 AM | #14
In Mass Effect, you could completely skip recruiting Garrus & Wrex. Not sure about the others.
You can kill Wrex on Virmire, and you HAVE TO choose one squad member to be left behind.
In Mass Effect 2, you could kill off your entire crew during the suicide mission (even though you had to save at least one of them so they could pull Shepard back to the ship in the end).
In Mass Effect 3, you get the option to kill the Virmire survivor during the council hostage situation.
And I'm sure there were plenty other options I don't really remember (killing Zaeed during his recruitment mission comes to mind now).

And yeah, I agree that humanity isn't ready for an MMO like that. These forums would turn into one giant whine-fest. Bigger than now, I mean.

EDIT: one minute too late. Meh.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Naphariel - Assassin | Syuveil - Guardian | Keilam - Juggernaut

Darth_Moonshadow
05.02.2012 , 04:13 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
ME1: Kill Wrex, kill Kaidan or Ashley, you had the potential to never recruit Wrex or Garrus.
ME2: Morinth/Samara, Zaeed can die during his loyalty mission, Legion can be sold to Cerberus, Grunt can remain casked.
ME3: Tali swandive, kill remaining ME1 squadmember. Lost companions depending on deaths in ME2.
Wait, I thought it was impossible to see Fisk without seeing Garrus first or asking Wrex about it.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

LilSaihah
05.02.2012 , 04:15 AM | #16
Wait, I thought it was impossible to see Fisk without seeing Garrus first or asking Wrex about it.
Hence the "or". :3
The Ebon Hawk
Clerise - 55 Sniper | Nazani - 54 Sorceror
Erinya - 55 Sentinel

Darka
05.02.2012 , 04:22 AM | #17
That was the idea originally, and taken to one of the early versions in beta
You can see how well that idea went down.
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

Lord_Karsk
05.02.2012 , 04:49 AM | #18
You kind of need those companions. They make up your entire crew. Without them, you're just a guy in a robe talking to yourself.

That's pretty crazy.
Actually you only need 1 of them. They did a huge mistake and giving you the player 5 companions.'
Everyone should have no more then 3. 1 tank 1 healer 1 dps.
Of course sadly the companions role is nothing else in swtor something that will have to die first so the players
can maybe kill that mob group without maybe dying himself.

Companions is a sad joke in swtor. The tanking companions cant tank what so ever.They can
take agroo but that about it. The healing companions are a complete joke, and at low midd lvl they have no function what so ever. Same with the "DPS" companions.Their dps is well a joke to be honest.

Sad fact is unless you are +4 to any mob in this game you will feel un heroic and like a joke
Why will you feel like a joke ? because without companions in swtor you will die do any mob group
like 2 strong mobs and 3 weak mobs in no time.Companions have 1 purpose, to be killed within a time
that you can manage to kill most of the enemies if you are lucky.You know like other games the "hero" is you.
Not in swtor, your just someone to follow a line while getting companions you need to grind gear for in the hope they actually have a good story to them.

My advice is, grind mobs you own lvl alway until the mobs are -5 your lvl then do the mission, atleast that way you will feel alittle heroic and can sometimes solo the stronger mobs groups.Now a skilled player have np taking on mobs his own lvl i'm talking about new players to the mmo genra etc and players who is not so good as some of the others more veteran players.

But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.

amnie
05.02.2012 , 05:00 AM | #19
well obviously the companions aren't supposed to be a replacement for an actual player
and I disagree, too. Corso tanks way better than certain players I've seen, and on my juggernaut (tank specced) I was always quite survivable with quinn's heals.

I also switch between companions depending on what I'm doing (dps for normal questing, tank/heals for bossfights)

thomasgallant
05.02.2012 , 05:01 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
I know you used to be able to actually kill certain companions back in beta but they took that out. wouldn't surprised me if at one point in game you could actually opt out of taking them on board to begin with but then players said 'uh-uh mistake!'
i would have killed quinn in a heart beat.. who cares if i cant send out a 5th companion and keep a guy out with me.. maybe they will let us kill them when more companions become avaliable.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi