Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Purple Lightsaber crystals?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Purple Lightsaber crystals?

Ellvaan
04.29.2012 , 11:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GXSEVEN View Post
Ain't purple lightsaber crystals for the Sith Empire only?
Greetings GXSEVEN!

We just wanted to hopefully assist you with this question with the following information from our Developer Tracker by Principal Lead Combat Designer, Georg Zoeller:

Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
Quote: Originally Posted by Talorra View Post
Hi Georg,

First off, thank you for the clarification on this. Much appreciated. Two questions for you on the crystals:

1.) Are the black/orange and black/purple crystals tied to a faction for drops? As in, black/orange (which I have from PTS testing as a Republic player) for Republic, and black/purple for Imperial?

2.) Will artifice be able to reverse engineer these (and other +41s, like cyan, purple, blue/black, etc) to learn the schematic and then craft them? I looked for an RE "tooltip" on PTS and did not see it for the crystals, but was unsure if this was missing on the UI or working as intended.

I sure would like to have a set of the black/purple crystals for my sabers. And on number two, I understand completely if the new tier of crystal colors is not RE-able, to keep some "prestige" to them for running Operations. Would be nice to RE and craft the Rakata/Columi colors though.
1. No. We have done away with the faction restriction that existed for example on the purple crystal and we don't intend to reintroduce them. As such, both colors are available to both factions.

2. We are introducing PvP crafting in 1.2 with a limited set of expertise crystals (blue/yellow crystals) that are exclusive to crafters. Their schematics are obtained via Warzone commendations, as are the materials needed to craft them.

We will likely expand this system in the future, but did not feel like the RNG drive RE mechanic is the right way to go about this for 1.2. A future RE system update that lessens the RNG dependency might open the door to something like what you are describing.
Additionally, you can find the following patch note in 1.2 Game Update Patch Notes on the Official Website:

Quote:
Vendor

The PvP items vendor now sells Baradium Flux, a grade 7 PvP crafting material used in the construction of Blue, Cyan, Purple, and Yellow Expertise color crystals.
We hope this helps!

smexymage
04.30.2012 , 04:32 AM | #12
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please advise if there are Purple PvE crystals available? I know there is a Magenta colour but I would prefer purple for PvE.

Thanks
. Never Forget

Erevan_Kindelar
04.30.2012 , 05:05 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by smexymage View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please advise if there are Purple PvE crystals available? I know there is a Magenta colour but I would prefer purple for PvE.

Thanks
There are purple PvE crystals (Advanced Purple Eviscerating Crystal, for example), although the purple crystal crafting schematics are pretty rare.
The geologist vendor on the fleet was selling purple crystals pre-1.2, but I do not recall seeing him since 1.2 came out although I have not exactly been looking.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

Karkais
04.30.2012 , 05:16 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by smexymage View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks
I have a +41 power purple crystal on me (bought from that cheater geologist pre-1.2), so Im inclined to say yes, although the big problem is that the recipes for them are apparently really rare and only drop from endgame bosses. I dont even know which ones.

In other words, the PVE purple crystals are supposed to be rarity reserved for the few. Ill start making them on my server once I get my hands on a recipe.
"Welcome to Dromund Kaas, where freedom goes to die and legends are forced on the galaxy."
- Vette

smexymage
04.30.2012 , 05:41 AM | #15
Cool thanks Guys.
. Never Forget