Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

jedi forbids love and marriage?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
jedi forbids love and marriage?

dprijadi
04.29.2012 , 08:24 PM | #1
correct me if im wrong but is the jedi code forbids love between man and woman ? also forbid formal marriage?

is jedi a lifetime rank? i mean if a jedi quits then he become just another civilian and can marry? or jedi is bound to the code as long as he lives?

Sinaed
04.29.2012 , 08:25 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by dprijadi View Post
correct me if im wrong but is the jedi code forbids love between man and woman ? also forbid formal marriage?

is jedi a lifetime rank? i mean if a jedi quits then he become just another civilian and can marry? or jedi is bound to the code as long as he lives?
Im just going to say Anakin Skywalker
"We chew and spit you out
We laugh, you scream and shout
All flee, with fear you run
You'll know just where we come from"

Darth_Moonshadow
04.29.2012 , 09:42 PM | #3
Jedi can retire and have families, but most Jedi stay in the order their entire lives. By the time they leave, they will be too old to raise a family. But it's not unheard of for Jedi ti marry while in active duty. You have to receive blessing from the Jedi Council, but it's a tough sell. Only Jedi who have proven they can handle the feelings and burdens love brings are able to marry. It's a very strict process.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

dprijadi
04.29.2012 , 10:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Jedi can retire and have families, but most Jedi stay in the order their entire lives. By the time they leave, they will be too old to raise a family. But it's not unheard of for Jedi ti marry while in active duty. You have to receive blessing from the Jedi Council, but it's a tough sell. Only Jedi who have proven they can handle the feelings and burdens love brings are able to marry. It's a very strict process.
any example of jeddi marriage besides anakon? in the comics , satele shan have an affair with someone and bore achild, but because she is afraid of the jedi , she abandon the son.

do the lore also state that a jedi can quit jedi order , but still retain his lightsaber and his force powers even in civilian life?

Koronii
04.29.2012 , 10:08 PM | #5
The Jedi only sever a person's connection to the Force if they were being really really evil. As for examples of Jedi retiring, I think Count Dooku was such an ex-jedi.

DeutschGamer
04.29.2012 , 10:13 PM | #6
Jolee Bindo retired from the order (self exile) and kept his lightsaber, but never progressed past padawan. He married Nayama, without having the Council's wishes, because although it was frowned upon it was not outright banned.

However, he did not enter exile with her as she died during the war with Exar Kun, having turned to the dark side.

Satele wasn't afraid of the other Jedi and she willingly gave the child up as the Order dictated. If anything she can be described as the embodiment of a true Jedi, a little too detached for my tastes.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Wolfninjajedi
04.29.2012 , 10:18 PM | #7
They don't really forbid those two things. They just don't want their fellow jedi, going into darkside rage mode because their wife/husband was killed or their son/daughter was killed or what have you. So they fear the consequences of those things, making them have to forbid it.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Andronicos
04.29.2012 , 11:21 PM | #8
Count Dooku was a Jedi but he left the order, once that happens you can do as you like, is not like there is a Jedi police that goes around making sure ex members do not marry or something. The thing you can not expect to do is stay a member of the Jedi Order while violating their principles one of them being that you can't marry.
Darth Securos - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galen Sunlighter - Just a simple man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

Captain_Zone
04.29.2012 , 11:53 PM | #9
From the Jedi Knight story line and Kira romance arc, it was not something I would put up with. But then again, I am soooo sick of the Jedi Council MISINTERPRETING the Code that it isn't even funny. The original Jedi Code was one of the very few things George Lucas actually nixed in the Expanded Universe. It wasn't restrictively worded enough for him, so he had them change the "yet" into "There Is No". If taken in the most literal sense, as the Jedi Councils ALWAYS seem to do, it basically turns a person into a droning robot. It's unnatural and, IMO, immoral.

In fact, there was a line in Green Lantern about the Guardians of the Universe that mirrors almost exactly a line about the Jedi Council. "They pride themselves on having no fear, yet they act out of fear." I am paraphrasing since I don't have the issue handy, but I believe it was Sinestro who said it. The same can be said of those self-righteous hypocrites on the Jedi Council. They ban everything because they fear it. Yet, there is no fear, since fear is an emotion. It's in the Jedi code.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Rhadamanthine
04.30.2012 , 12:16 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
From the Jedi Knight story line and Kira romance arc, it was not something I would put up with. But then again, I am soooo sick of the Jedi Council MISINTERPRETING the Code that it isn't even funny. The original Jedi Code was one of the very few things George Lucas actually nixed in the Expanded Universe. It wasn't restrictively worded enough for him, so he had them change the "yet" into "There Is No". If taken in the most literal sense, as the Jedi Councils ALWAYS seem to do, it basically turns a person into a droning robot. It's unnatural and, IMO, immoral.

In fact, there was a line in Green Lantern about the Guardians of the Universe that mirrors almost exactly a line about the Jedi Council. "They pride themselves on having no fear, yet they act out of fear." I am paraphrasing since I don't have the issue handy, but I believe it was Sinestro who said it. The same can be said of those self-righteous hypocrites on the Jedi Council. They ban everything because they fear it. Yet, there is no fear, since fear is an emotion. It's in the Jedi code.
Totally Odan-Urr's fault. >.>

The original code also flowed better.