Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rolling need for companions

Suzina
12.17.2011 , 08:24 AM | #11
"Need" has always referred to items you can wear that will help you in PVP or raiding. Never has it referred to companions or alts or selling to the vendor. It's best to clarify this with your group at the beginning, even if so many people feel that they "should" already know this.

For many people, this will be their first MMO. No other game has prepared them for the "yes I truely NEED it for my character" debate.
Member of Bane Fleet

Umbral
12.17.2011 , 08:39 AM | #12
As I suggested in another thread, limit companions to only vendor/auction/crafted gear. End of controversy, and stimulate economy.

Darinford
12.17.2011 , 08:45 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LastDarkness View Post
Well since the vast majority of the game is solo missions with your companions, rolling need on them is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

Ive discussed this with many Flashpoint groups and no one has had any problems with it so far. Especialy since I see Jedi/Trooper rolling on each others gear even though it dosnt have their preferred stats or people who roll on gear to rip the mods out of it.
Bottom line, if you roll need on my gear, find another healer.

Diabolic
Website - Forums - Apply
Hardcore Endgame PvE - PvP Dominance - US West PvP Server

Barleyarley
12.17.2011 , 08:46 AM | #14
The best practice if there is something you want for your companion is to see if anyone else needs first maybe, if everyone greeds then you can ask to take it for your companion. It's amazing how a little communication can solve problems like this.

Asante
12.17.2011 , 08:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kheldras View Post
Problem is: Then you dont need a Greed Button, cause with a full Companion Party, the only thing i cant legally have Need for, as a non-Forceuser, is Lightsabers & Force User Armour, cause i never get a Force-using as Companion.

So you REALLY want to have everyone need on Stuff, thats an upgrade for you, cause someones companion could need? For Example: A Sithwarrior`s 5-6 companions can use everything...

Ideal would be a "need for Companion" - Button that ranges inbetween.

Need > Companion-Need > Greed
Personally I'd change the order to "Need > Companion > Reverse Engineer > Greed"
But yes, I think a new option for companions would solve those problems... because your claim for them is not strong enough to need, but stronger than greed and taking apart... at least that's my opinion...

snooggums
12.17.2011 , 10:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darinford View Post
Bottom line, if you roll need on my gear, find another healer.
It isn't YOUR gear until you win the roll. Feel free imitating a five year old child.

Darinford
12.17.2011 , 10:56 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by snooggums View Post
It isn't YOUR gear until you win the roll. Feel free imitating a five year old child.
My companion isn't in the instance, your companion isn't in the instance. If I don't get gear I cannot perform to spec. Next time it happens I'm going to let the guys run into the final boss then run the other way and laugh like a maniac

eta: wish I could record that, happening. That's a vid that needs to get made.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asante View Post
Personally I'd change the order to "Need > Companion > Reverse Engineer > Greed"
But yes, I think a new option for companions would solve those problems... because your claim for them is not strong enough to need, but stronger than greed and taking apart... at least that's my opinion...
Need > Companion > Mod/Engineer > Greed.

Lets say the Helmet drops twice in Athiss. Well I can yank the mods out and slap them in another piece of gear and get a very significant upgrade.

Diabolic
Website - Forums - Apply

snooggums
12.17.2011 , 11:06 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Darinford View Post
My companion isn't in the instance, your companion isn't in the instance. If I don't get gear I cannot perform to spec. Next time it happens I'm going to let the guys run into the final boss then run the other way and laugh like a maniac
I see you are going to act like a 5 year old to the group AFTER the one you had an issue in.

Darinford
12.17.2011 , 11:10 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by snooggums View Post
I see you are going to act like a 5 year old to the group AFTER the one you had an issue in.
Exactly, I want it well known that I will be an impeccable jerk to people who roll on my loots. That way I can get kicked before the issues occur, and I'll have a lot of fun earning the reputation

Diabolic
Website - Forums - Apply

Dark_Richter
12.17.2011 , 11:15 AM | #20
Rolling need for companions is like rolling need for an off set in other MMOs. Just ask your group if thats ok.

With this being said, I don't think a companion should get an item a player views as an upgrade.

It was said earlier in the thread, Need then Companion Need then Greed. A button for this would be supremely helpful.
What is democrazy? It is a government in which the ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
--Nom Anor