Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please explain to me how Civil War will be 'balanced' in rated games.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Please explain to me how Civil War will be 'balanced' in rated games.

fungihoujo
04.27.2012 , 09:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TirjacShiki View Post
Although your scenario can be beaten by the better team, I agree civil war is the worst designed warzone in the game.

It's obvious Bioware agrees, Nocare Coast is almost exactly the same but 500 times better, it's what they originally wanted for civil war but screwed up too badly so they had to remake it.

It needs some changes or I would be ok with it being completely removed from the game.
If Alderaan had the same capture point mechanic, I think it'd be a pretty good match.

Astarica
04.27.2012 , 10:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
If Alderaan had the same capture point mechanic, I think it'd be a pretty good match.
Well in NC, it basically means the team that won the deathmatch at a node can always cap it, which makes too much sense, so it's not used in Alderaan.

limibeans
04.27.2012 , 10:16 PM | #23
Alderran is all about the the first 30 seconds. Two evenly matched teams will both get one node at the start and will indefinitely battle for the 3rd for the rest of the match. It's actually happened before, where neither team could get the 3rd node which ends up staying neutral for the whole match and the team with the quicker "first cap" wins the game by 1 or 2 "ticks".

There is no magical opening strategy that guarantees you will get 2 (or 3 nodes) against an evenly matched team. There ARE strategies to help make sure you get the first "tick" which may end up determining whether or not you will win or lose. Popping a "sprint ability" to help you get to a node first is one example. Sending AoE CC/Slows to intercept attackers and slow them down is another.

Novair Coast's scoring system was the solution to Alderrans "first to cap wins" problem, the "less than/more than twice" problem, and 1 vs. 100 problem.

Alderran really is poorly designed and has loads of problems and I feel like its going to get a huge makeover or it will be removed all together. It's also the only WZ that doesnt support same faction queuing.
Quote: Originally Posted by a Conspiracy Theorist
"If you pause 17 frames before he unlatches his blaster, you can see a small shadow by his right hand. Based on the angle of the blast, that shadow could have only been one thing: a Jawa paid by the Govt. to shoot Greedo in order to frame Han."
─Confirmed

ForsakenToyz
04.27.2012 , 10:54 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BlindingShadow View Post
Of the 3 original ws's, always found Alderaan to be the most balanced. And Huttball to be the most imbalanced. Know why? Cuz I play Smuggler. Anyone with stealth has a natural advantage in Alderaan (I E me), anyone with jumps/ pulls has a natural advantage in Huttball (I E not me). NC is where BW found a good balance. Personally, a good team will overcome any obstacle in most games. There is no "perfect defense".

A simple way to counter yours would be a smuggle 5 player over the fence from east/ west to mid (depending on which you control) and send 1 tank with a pull and healer to hold the rest off. Stuns, knock backs, good healing, etc. can hold that entire force you conveniently placed off mid for easily enough time for 5 people to overwhelm 1-2 people or do a well coordinated stunlock to cap. Only 2 people die, giving not time for the opposition to re spawn and help.
I'm not quite understand, how mirrored map can be unbalanced? It's only skill depended. You are bad? Yeah, let's go to forum, whine some tears.
Toyz, the Fatman. (Oh yeah, Toyz is the legacy and Fatman is the realm.)

Astarica
04.27.2012 , 11:36 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by limibeans View Post
Alderran is all about the the first 30 seconds. Two evenly matched teams will both get one node at the start and will indefinitely battle for the 3rd for the rest of the match. It's actually happened before, where neither team could get the 3rd node which ends up staying neutral for the whole match and the team with the quicker "first cap" wins the game by 1 or 2 "ticks".

There is no magical opening strategy that guarantees you will get 2 (or 3 nodes) against an evenly matched team. There ARE strategies to help make sure you get the first "tick" which may end up determining whether or not you will win or lose. Popping a "sprint ability" to help you get to a node first is one example. Sending AoE CC/Slows to intercept attackers and slow them down is another.

Novair Coast's scoring system was the solution to Alderrans "first to cap wins" problem, the "less than/more than twice" problem, and 1 vs. 100 problem.

Alderran really is poorly designed and has loads of problems and I feel like its going to get a huge makeover or it will be removed all together. It's also the only WZ that doesnt support same faction queuing.
I had a game like this and when it got down to 250-245 (we are the 245) with middle still uncapped. We had to attack their side at that point since it looked like a perpetual stalemate and then they easily repel the side attack and capped middle since we pulled guys off the middle brawl, and really I knew we weren't going to take their side cannon or defeat their middle force and it's really lame to fight 15 minutes in middle when the game is over in the first 30 seconds.