Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Community Relations

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Gaje
04.27.2012 , 02:44 PM | #1
Before i start i will add i enjoy the game and despite some annoyances i think is a pretty well rounded MMO with a great platform to be taken forward (after all it is only 5 months old)

One of the key things of any MMO is the community and that is fostered here on the forums by the community relations team and the communication that is passed out

So why do i never see a post encouraging this, i dont expect the devs to come on here every day and respond to posts their job is to develop the game, but i do expect to see the community relations team take some issues to the Dev team rather then letting threads get to 1000+ responses before someone takes a nosey in

There is very little info about whats coming up in game other then vague oh XYZ feature may be 1.3 1.4 or 1.million that's in 2014

I'm not asking to have everything explained but i would like to see more communication and more interaction with the players on the forums. instead we are stuck to weekly Q&A session that rarely yields no more info then is already out in the public domain

My point is Bioware, get on the boards/twitter/facebook wherever you decide and start interacting with your player base, if it doesn't fix anything it shows your interested in what players views are, communicate where the game is going, after all its something we are all invested in.
Formerly of Terentatek
Now playing on P5

JovethGonzalez
04.27.2012 , 03:18 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
...but i do expect to see the community relations team take some issues to the Dev team...
This is what we do on a daily basis here in the office. Our community representatives give us daily reports on top issues and we investigate them and bring them up to our development team. When we have a solution or some information to post, we make sure to update any major forum threads related to the issue.

There is very little info about whats coming up in game other then vague oh XYZ feature may be 1.3 1.4 or 1.million that's in 2014
I suggest checking out our patch notes, community blog, news site, weekly Q&As, Weekly Dev Track Summary Blogs, Weekly Patch Notes Updates, and of course, here in General Discussion, to name a few places.

Of course, our general policy is to not talk in detail about specific features until we are 100% sure that it is on its way. You can imagine what would happen if we gave a specific date, months in advance, only to come up against an unforeseen obstacle that causes us to delay a particular feature. This is why you'll see many replies by us and our developers that simply say "soon".

My point is Bioware, get on the boards/twitter/facebook wherever you decide and start interacting with your player base, if it doesn't fix anything it shows your interested in what players views are, communicate where the game is going, after all its something we are all invested in.
We have a dedicated social media team monitoring our official Facebook fan page and answering comments, questions, and concerns over on our official Twitter account.

You can also find the SWTOR community team members on Twitter by checking out this list.

Finally, we've been fairly active over in the SWTOR subreddit on Reddit.

I hope that I've helped in addressing your concerns, but please let us know if you still have any issues.

Gaje
04.27.2012 , 03:42 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
This is what we do on a daily basis here in the office. Our community representatives give us daily reports on top issues and we investigate them and bring them up to our development team. When we have a solution or some information to post, we make sure to update any major forum threads related to the issue.

I suggest checking out our patch notes, community blog, news site, weekly Q&As, Weekly Dev Track Summary Blogs, Weekly Patch Notes Updates, and of course, here in General Discussion, to name a few places.

Of course, our general policy is to not talk in detail about specific features until we are 100% sure that it is on its way. You can imagine what would happen if we gave a specific date, months in advance, only to come up against an unforeseen obstacle that causes us to delay a particular feature. This is why you'll see many replies by us and our developers that simply say "soon".

We have a dedicated social media team monitoring our official Facebook fan page and answering comments, questions, and concerns over on our official Twitter account.

You can also find the SWTOR community team members on Twitter by checking out this list.

I hope that I've helped in addressing your concerns, but please let us know if you still have any issues.

So first, thanks for taking the time to post a response, i guess im a little surprised,

False hope is never a good thing and i agree that posting something that may not happen is going to create a knee jerk reaction, but as far as i can see there is very little about 1.3 and what we can expect, meanwhile in game people are leaving the game or drastically downgrading their play times because the features that they had hope to see are either not in game or there is very little info to keep people having a little hope (rated WZ are an issue presently, last word we go was sometime before 1.3 - how longs a piece of string comes to mind here)

The Dev tracker has 4 or 5 posts a day that i can see, hardly a noteworthy place to look for info, a weekly blog that has on average 8 questions, again with info that for mostly is already out there, your twitter account despite being active tends not to have info, occasionally i will see a flag up of some message as does Facebook though these both only tend to replicate key messages.

You may feel that your communication is sufficient but i feel that it could be dramatically stepped up, i think somewhere along the line the word 'Fun' got dropped it feels clinical, basic and boring, yes getting 30 days free is great and i thank bio ware for that, but i like many wish to hear whats happening and i dont feel i do
Formerly of Terentatek
Now playing on P5

Bozse
04.27.2012 , 03:55 PM | #4
While I can understand this when it comes to most features I can simply not accept this when it comes to transfers, you should have expected the need for that feature months ago and had it done by now, lacking that we should get detailed information on how the feature will work, cost or no cost, any server or restrictions, full legacy move or not (characters) and so on to be able to make informed decisions about how to proceed.

Just so you can see where I'm coming from, currently at 23:50 I'm sitting with 17 in fleet and 28 in WZ, 50 and 10-49 bracket combined, going by last weeks number I'll have no WZ and less than 20 in fleet within 2 hours. With this low activity our US players that play with us have very little to do and as we have literally no information on how transfers will work we can't make any decisions to roll an alt on a future destination, level an alt to transfer once it's done or worst case scenario where you are planing on charging for transfers and we have to find a new game to play.

Zhedahara
04.27.2012 , 04:18 PM | #5
The Dev tracker has 4 or 5 posts a day that i can see, hardly a noteworthy place to look for info, a weekly blog that has on average 8 questions, again with info that for mostly is already out there, your twitter account despite being active tends not to have info, occasionally i will see a flag up of some message as does Facebook though these both only tend to replicate key messages.

You may feel that your communication is sufficient but i feel that it could be dramatically stepped up, i think somewhere along the line the word 'Fun' got dropped it feels clinical, basic and boring, yes getting 30 days free is great and i thank bio ware for that, but i like many wish to hear whats happening and i dont feel i do
The Developers are rather busy people and just keep in mind that they're taking their time actually answering questions and informing the players of what's going on rather than spending those minutes developing something for the game. I'm not quite sure what kind of information you're looking for but I found that what they give us is sufficient enough.
They can't give us information if they feel it's not 100% ready to be given out. As far as 1.3 is concerned they're not ready to give full details-or even half of the details since some of those could be scrapped.

What's happening is that they're working on giving us constant game updates, new content, developing ideas, etc. And truthfully I'd rather them spend their time doing just that than to answer questions that have already been answered.

And chances are that if you're not getting the information you want, they probably don't even know exactly what kind of information you want because they really just don't know yet. And, they can't tell you what they don't know, can they?

Gaje
04.27.2012 , 05:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedahara View Post
The Developers are rather busy people and just keep in mind that they're taking their time actually answering questions and informing the players of what's going on rather than spending those minutes developing something for the game. I'm not quite sure what kind of information you're looking for but I found that what they give us is sufficient enough.
They can't give us information if they feel it's not 100% ready to be given out. As far as 1.3 is concerned they're not ready to give full details-or even half of the details since some of those could be scrapped.

What's happening is that they're working on giving us constant game updates, new content, developing ideas, etc. And truthfully I'd rather them spend their time doing just that than to answer questions that have already been answered.

And chances are that if you're not getting the information you want, they probably don't even know exactly what kind of information you want because they really just don't know yet. And, they can't tell you what they don't know, can they?
I didnt ask the dev team to stop coding and come ask my questions, I asked the community relations team who's Job it is to engage more with the community

Issues such as server transfers are integral to people like me who were shoehorned with a guild to certain servers that are now dead yet little info exists, is my fee each month not as good as yours or others yet I get a poorer gaming experience due to low numbers ?
Formerly of Terentatek
Now playing on P5

Roechacca
04.27.2012 , 05:13 PM | #7
Great reply by the moderator. Appreciate the insight.
Only worst of the worst may join MOB.

Bott_LeBeer
04.27.2012 , 06:38 PM | #8

While the effort to keep facebook/twitter/reddit and whatever else updated is appreciated, most people do not look to those outside sources for information about a game that has official forums. Those outside sources are typically used as an added bonus, not the main avenue of communications.

The lack of visibility of the moderation/community team on your own official forums is quite lacking. The dev tracker can go for days with nothing new showing up.
I believe this is what the OP was referring to... visibility on your official forums.

Myself and quite a few of the people I know do not use or even care to use facebook/twitter, as for this reddit thing, never heard of it.

RickRedOne
04.27.2012 , 06:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bott_LeBeer View Post
While the effort to keep facebook/twitter/reddit and whatever else updated is appreciated, most people do not look to those outside sources for information about a game that has official forums. Those outside sources are typically used as an added bonus, not the main avenue of communications.

The lack of visibility of the moderation/community team on your own official forums is quite lacking. The dev tracker can go for days with nothing new showing up.
I believe this is what the OP was referring to... visibility on your official forums.

Myself and quite a few of the people I know do not use or even care to use facebook/twitter, as for this reddit thing, never heard of it.
There are also people who never come to these forums. And those who come once (and when they see what goes on here) never come back.
The Details, it is all about the Details
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise

Andryah
04.27.2012 , 06:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Roechacca View Post
Great reply by the moderator. Appreciate the insight.
I agree.

Of course it did not stop the OP from continuing to complain.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.