Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why not ask for feedback In-Game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why not ask for feedback In-Game?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mattgyver
04.27.2012 , 12:50 PM | #1
The forums are full of trolls and malcontents, thus goes the cry. There may be some truth to this, so why not use in-game polls and feedback to get a feel for what the players who are actually in the game want? I'm not saying to do anything to the forums, but gather some data from active users as well. If there was a kiosk in game that had a short poll on it, I would take it. Anyone else?

Seems like it might be a better way to accurately see what the "silent majority" think.

AllisonBerryman
04.27.2012 , 12:56 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Posts on the forums are not the only method we use to get feedback. They're definitely a place we look at and ask for player feedback, but we have extensive metrics and telemetry and other resources we use to guide decisions about the game. All the pieces are important, but we don't just use one source to gather information. I don't know if adding in-game surveys is something we would do, but do rest assured that we get lots of information and feedback through multiple channels!

mattgyver
04.27.2012 , 12:57 PM | #3
Thank you for this response
It helps to know this.

Bigbozo
04.27.2012 , 01:01 PM | #4
Personally, if I'm in game, I want to play the game, not take a poll about the game. And as many who come here and QQ about things that break their immersion, I doubt it would go over well.

Liquidacid
04.27.2012 , 01:05 PM | #5
in beta they had ingame surveys with comment sections for feedback... they came up constantly and were actually rather annoying... they had a bad habit of having surveys asking "what are you doing right now" come up when I was in the middle of combat a lot of mine just read "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWASDW312311"
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

WookieePower
04.27.2012 , 01:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bigbozo View Post
Personally, if I'm in game, I want to play the game, not take a poll about the game. And as many who come here and QQ about things that break their immersion, I doubt it would go over well.
Yep, the "What are you currently doing?" pop-ups from BETA come to mind.

Uh, my *** is currently dying because I can't see to fight at the moment.

Although I did fill out most of them, it was only the last 20 or so of the 200+ that day I replied to with the above. lol
"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bulls***."
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
- General George Patton Jr

WookieePower
04.27.2012 , 01:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
in beta they had ingame surveys with comment sections for feedback... they came up constantly and were actually rather annoying... they had a bad habit of having surveys asking "what are you doing right now" come up when I was in the middle of combat a lot of mine just read "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWASDW312311"
Yep, then added "dying" thank you, after the w's,1's, etc...
"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bulls***."
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
- General George Patton Jr

Liquidacid
04.27.2012 , 01:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by WookieePower View Post
Yep, then added "dying" thank you, after the w's,1's, etc...
I actually wiped a few raids and OPs in beta as a tank because that survey popped up and I lost agro... people screaming and yelling at me over vent as they all die and I'm trying to close the survey...
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Malukye
04.27.2012 , 01:26 PM | #9
Typically, when somone (anyone) uses data gathered from places that require specific interest to participate, they are only looking for confirmation of what they already want to do. It is not emperical nor ethical where polling is concerned.

By that I mean the best way to gather real data is by a double-blind selection. Having some random way to pull users and ask them to fill out the responce. The number of participants is determined by established normas taking into account a percentage of people who will not participate. THAT is how scientific polls are done.

Asking people who visit Twitter or Facebook or the Forums is not accurate by any stretch of the imagination and is not polling real data. It reminds me of the FOX News polls they ask their viewers to participate in on their "news" commentary broadcasts. Then later that day "Breaking news 99% of people hate SO-AND-SO". Shocking, that the specific people who watch a specific broadcast that caters to a specific political belief, participate in a poll that only they knew about and that relates directly to their belief structure. Shocking, indeed.

I doubt that a significant number of player visit these forums, or bother to participate in the Twitter or Facebook type polls. I have no emperical evidence to back that up, it is only my opinion. It takes an emotional investment or interest to visit websites and i would imagine more people just want to play the game. NOT having an ingame or email poll that randomly selects a pre-determined number of players would be just gathering data they already know is going to "prove" or "substantiate" the opinion they already possess.

That is why you get the random emails about customer service or game features and whatnot. Forum polls are nice but not statistically significant. Fun and interesting but I doubt they are basing their game mechanics/design off them.
Or GOD I HOPE NOT!.

LoneStranger
04.27.2012 , 01:41 PM | #10
Where metrics tell you how people are playing, polls usually end up with people responding on how they think they are playing. I think it would be interesting to contrast the responses.
£one§tranger