Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

Abaia
04.26.2012 , 11:05 AM | #221
To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. When I think of "in-game events" I think of things that impact your normal gameplay in a significant fashion. As far as I can tell, this "event" was just a series of quests on a single planet. It could be active all the time and it wouldn't change the game significantly. The biggest impact this event had was on the forums where it spawned epic threads decrying infection griefing on the fleets and something about pvp being ruined or whatever.

As an example of a truly impressive in-game event, take Amarthiel's invasion of the North in LoTRO. With their first expansion on the horizon, Turbine decided to wrap-up the storyline of their initial release in epic fashion. The main antagonist Amarthiel made random appearances across the land smiting the PCs directly or spawning enemies to attack them. And it wasn't just some random mob. Amarthiel was a GM-controlled avatar that would interact with the players. You could taunt her, challenge her to a duel, bow down before her, send her love letters, beg her for mercy, etc.

My fondest memory from LoTRO was while waiting at the Ranger camp in Angmar for a Rift raid to form up. I decided to ride down to the Rift ahead of the raid so I could /afk at the entrance while the straglers arrived. As soon as a I began the descent, I saw a solitary figure striding confidently up the path towards the Ranger camp. It was Amarthiel. Now, bear in mind, I have a huge crush on Amarthiel so I immediately raced forward to lay myself at her feet--and with a flick of her wrist she struck me down! She walked right past me and summoned hordes of trolls and uruk-hai to swarm the camp. I was defeated from the start and missed the whole battle, but it was a blast watching the fight unfold as my kinmates struggled to push Amarthiel back.

A less staff-intensive example of a good world event comes from EQ2. As a lead-in to the Kingdom of Sky expansion, ruined portals to the "realms above" were discovered across the land and a project to rebuild them commenced. Players gathered resources, crafted materials, and otherwise contributed to the reconstruction of the portals. When one was finally completed, a dragon descended to destroy the portal and prevent the uppity humanoids from ascending. The dragon was a raid boss and it wreaked havoc on the people rebuilding the portal as well as the ones who had just gathered to witness the finished construction. But the word got out and raids formed up to deal with the dragon. Once people knew to expect a dragon, raid guilds would form up at nearly-complete portals to try to get first crack at the dragon (and the title you got for defeating it). It was quite the show, hundreds of people standing around a portal, some waiting to pull the dragon, others just waiting to watch the action.

I guess my point is, if you're going to have a special in-game event, you might as well go all out on it. This plague thing was just small-scale and easily ignored.
8 characters, 7 classes, 3 servers . . . staying decisive!

LizardSF
04.26.2012 , 11:11 AM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Rezag View Post
Complete and total inofrmation disaster if you make event make sure player know about it. Especially with this short events. (Rest of useless rant deleted)
Y'know, when I was eight, I went out trick or treating, and one house was giving out Hostess fruit pies. A lot better than the crap most people were handing out. But by the time I'd heard about this from one of my friends, it was too late, and they were out.

This was very upsetting to me. BECAUSE I WAS EIGHT.

Anyone who is older than eight, and STILL gets upset that someone else got something and they didn't -- when they didn't actually LOSE anything, just failed to GAIN something -- has emotional maturity issues.

As I said in another post.... if I'm walking along and find a five dollar bill, and take it, you are not five dollars POORER just because I'm five dollars RICHER. I had way too many work and other life issues, such as my wife needing to go the ER, to play the event more than a handful of days. I enjoyed the time I could spend on it, got the rewards I most wanted, and hope to have more time for the next event. If I had missed the event entirely, would it have made my character WORSE? Would I have lost skills, equipment, quest completions, etc? No. I'd be exactly as I was before. No change in status.

Thus, BY DEFINITION, the event as held could ONLY give you things -- give you a new item, give you a new codex entry, whatever. If you could only do part of the event, you got a few things. If you did more of the event, you got more things. Thus:
Doing none of the event did not harm you.
Doing ANY part of the event gave you SOMETHING, and something is better than nothing -- and you were not "entitled" to anything.

So, to everyone complaining they couldn't do EVERYTHING, and that's UNFAIR -- shut up, and grow up. Ideally, in that order.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

LizardSF
04.26.2012 , 11:13 AM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Abaia View Post
I guess my point is, if you're going to have a special in-game event, you might as well go all out on it. This plague thing was just small-scale and easily ignored.
So, what is your response to the people in this thread who are complaining that they couldn't ignore the event?
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Varina
04.26.2012 , 11:19 AM | #224
I loved it. I liked that you could get useful, cool things from it ((the green/black crystal)) that kind of thing is usually absent from other MMO events. I also loved the sense that the plague was spreading everywhere. To different planets, off of tattooine, onto the fleet, and all while there were people trying to contain it. It was a lot of fun, keep it up!

DoctorComics
04.26.2012 , 11:24 AM | #225
I enjoyed the event.

First off, it came at a good time. My main was at level 45 and I was getting ready to go back and do the Alderaan bonus series -- which was green to me -- just so I could go back to Voss and not be under level. The Tattoine quests were closely packed, easy to acquire, and fast. I did the series for six days to get the costume set, traded in my samples, and was done and level 46 1/2. Never had to go to Alderaan. The event got me through a dry patch in terms of quests.

I liked the way it was revealed. Players were talking about the event before any official announcement was made. It was more organic and exploratory, and for us roleplayers that made it more interesting story-wise.

I liked the rewards. I don't need a new crystal, but I could pick up a PvP crystal as an alternate against the day that I dabble in Huttball or something. I got the red Rakling pet from the scavenger hunt quest and it's perfect. I only had enough samples for the crystal and one companion box, but I got a great one: Quinn. Since my main uses Quinn in battle almost all the time, and I really dislike the fact that he betrayed me, I decided to give him the Rakghoul virus as punishment. I feel much better about him now.

I know many have complained that the event was forced on people, but I cannot agree. Vaccines were long lasting and easy to acquire.

Dolcia
04.26.2012 , 11:28 AM | #226
I loved it and I hope there will be more events to come. This event got people playing, talking, grouping, PVPing. It was good for my server, good for the community. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I thought the fact that a new quest opened up every day was a good incentive to keep pushing. I never felt like the dailies were too grindy so, yeah, it was fun. I liked.
Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual.

ChronoSynclast
04.26.2012 , 11:30 AM | #227
I loved the event, especially the surprise nature of it; it was great logging in to find something unexpected, new and interesting to take part in.

I think the length of the event was perfect, and honestly I think it would have gotten tedious and stale if it last much longer.

I liked the staging idea, (as someone who is able to play most days), however I do think that the way they staged the dailies such that late comers couldn't possibly get them all could have been handled better (perhaps having them all unlock on the last couple days for any late comers).

(Oh and the random companion boxes... 26 boxes before I got the Customization I wanted! Though with how easy it was to get DNA it shouldn't be too easy to get everything. Maybe allowing a turn in of any 4 customizations to the one you want).

All in all I loved it and Im looking forward to more.

Spectus
04.26.2012 , 11:32 AM | #228
The main benefit of the Rakghoul Plague event was that it was a good, fun, short-term set of daily quests that provided a break from the Ilum/Belsavis dailies. It also was a fun way to get Republic and Empire players mixing it up in open-world PvP. And since it was a limited-duration event, it didn't last long enough to become monotonous.

One world event I would still like to see sometime is one that features a fight with a krayt dragon. I was hoping one would pop up during this event -- possibly in the form of one weakened by an infection of the rakghoul plague. If I were a MMO publisher, I'd even set this up as a perk for my staff. Have a drawing or essay contest, or better yet, a contest to see who can come up with the best idea for an in-game quest arc, and let the winner(s) control a krayt dragon in the live in-game environment. And have the krayt dragon(s) attempt to storm Anchorhead or the Imperial home base on Tatooine.

I'm also thinking the game needs some sort of Mystical Journey into a really creepy cave complex. This would be a place that fairly oozes with the Dark Side of the Force, sort of an oversized version of the cave on Dagobah from The Empire Strikes Back. Imperial players could be drawn there in search of enlightenment; Republic players, to destroy the source of the dark energies. I would populate the place with some really nightmarish denizens -- horrible, unworldly life-forms that were once some of the ancient Sith alchemists' most horrific experiments in genetic manipulation, all further mutated over centuries of abandonment and close proximity to the Dark Side energies of the cave. And I would equip the site with its own set of sound effects -- sort of muffled or distorted, to heighten the physical sensation the player experiences of the place being an utterly unearthly, alien environment. And somewhere in the midst of it all would be a disturbingly calm NPC whose stated goal is to study the site. But just what IS this being? Is he human? Or is he an android? Or perhaps a holoprojection somehow imbued with physical substance? Or is he a phantasm implanted in the characters' minds by the Dark Side energies of the place? And what is he really after? Or maybe he's not really after anything at all....
=================================
CANCELLED
=================================

Jenemi
04.26.2012 , 11:35 AM | #229
I really liked the event. I loved the codexes and story. Main complaints would be randomness, the forced PVP (unless you got lucky and nobody was there), and if you missed too much of something, you kind of missed out. Oh, and the vaccine wearing off if you die.

Everything else was a lot of fun and I loved seeing people work together. And it was done really well. I think maybe some hints would be nice for future events (whether through the game, interviews, or forum); I mean I know I found out through mentioning an interview in the Tauntaun thread...was waiting there 4 hours before it began.
Vanity Pets Guide - I will ALWAYS respond to my PMs as long as I notice.
ịịмąяїℓεαịị♥ऄ██████████████████)

Freeborne
04.26.2012 , 11:35 AM | #230
I loved the organic nature of the Rakghoul event. Particularly how it was quietly initiated, and players were left to discover everything.

The only thing I'd like to see in future events is better/different rewards. Color cyrstals are cool, but if you're not a lightsaber wielding class your color crystal only matters when you fire...it becomes less of a status symbol or "show off" item. Some unique orange weapon skins would be very cool.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!