Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

XLJedi
04.26.2012 , 07:28 AM | #21
I tend to love any one of them that crits on a mission...
Reelo (Jedi Guardian)
Server: Jedi Covenant (East Coast Time)
Guild: Starlords
Always willing to lend a hand to those who stop by my server and say hello!

Greyhamea
04.26.2012 , 07:30 AM | #22
Jedi Knight: Rusk. It's not that I think he's a bad characters, I just have no desire to get to know him better, and I'm not sure what role he fills.

Bounty Hunter: Skage. Seriously, my Bounty Hunter would have killed him rather than let him on the ship if the game let me. He doesn't mesh at all with the rest of my companions as far as I can see, and just seems to be there to be overly bloodthirsty.

Raeln
04.26.2012 , 07:32 AM | #23
Story aside, from what I've found is companions that can't heal, or to some lesser degree, tank - are completely useless.

Since we cannot use our companions in full group Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones - there is no real reason for a DPS companion. Tank companions are usually far too squishy (heard they were nerfed in late beta). Healing companions are likely overpowered.

As a Sage, I found myself running with Theran for solo questing and only occasionally with Qyzen. As a gunnery Commando (my main), I run exclusively with Elara, my healer. I've found that using her reduces my downtime to nearly zero - even while fighting elites.

From a perspective of "how useful are the individual companions" - then only healers and tanks are useful. DPS are just... pointless. What we need is a mechanism to rekit our companions to do a role that we need. I'd like to use a companion other than Elara while doing dailies but unfortunately, Tanno Vik or Yuun cannot be made to heal. After all, I suppose clicking a diagnostic scanner, shooting kolto bullets and throwing kolto bombs requires a college education.

So for me, only Elara is useful to me in practicality - the rest are nothing more than crew mission bots - only slightly more useful than C2N2.

psandak
04.26.2012 , 07:48 AM | #24
Gotta say Rusk for JK. He's a paper tank and a DPS with too much threat. Heck Kira, a pure DPS, can take more damage than Rusk

Angel_of_Cain
04.26.2012 , 07:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post

Trooper-none of the companions interest me, so I doubt I'll even play it, unless I'm uber bored and finished everything else.
Actually, M1-4X has some awesome dialogue, and is a pretty good tank (I do love my sociopath droid)
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidJustice View Post
The community itself ended any chance at open world pvp by rolling imperial in mass.

BenjaminminU
04.26.2012 , 07:54 AM | #26
I have to say that sergeant Rusk for the Knight is most pointless, i've said it before and i'll say it again, i don't actually need him in my crew, hes a big tough republic soldier who stands around all day on my ship. i would actually prefer to be able to let him leave during a class quest, perhaps he could have his own heroic moment at the start of act IV which would allow you to ask republic command to make him an officer, or you could keep him as a companion saying that you need him.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

Karkais
04.26.2012 , 08:13 AM | #27
This thread is a living testimony that you cant please everyone.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

KorinHyvek
04.26.2012 , 08:25 AM | #28
In general, companions seem to serve as foils to potential player archetypes, although the last guy tends to suffer a lot from lack of screen time. Here's my opinions on the classes I've gotten far enough along on.

The Sith warrior is pretty good for the most part, with your first four companions each being fairly different (although Jaesa, irregardless of alignment, needs more personality, though). Except for Broonmark; You could remove him from the Sith Warrior story, and you seriously wouldn't notice he was gone. He's completely pointless in that regard, he has no real story arc unlike every other SW companion, and his personality is essentially a less interesting version of Lt. Pierce.

The trooper doesn't actually have any pointless companions, mainly because all 5 have a clear role to play in the squad (unless you're superseding Elara or 4X via class), although I get the feeling Yuun isn't going to be as fleshed out as I would like him to be. Tanno Vik annoys me to no end, but he also has a very good reason to be there from a narrative perspective, both as a foil to me, and as the only companion who gets along with the psycho players.

The Agent: Everyone of the first four companions seems to serve an improtant narrative role, here; Kaliyo serves as a foil to loyalist agents, Vector serves as the idealist, Lokin is the veteran spook, while Temple is a foil to more self-serving, axe-crazy agents. SCORPIO I haven't met yet, so I can't say.

As far as the bounty hunter goes, Blizz represents an optimistic ray of sunshine in a relatively cynical world, Mako is the principled BH, Torion is the warrior-focused BH, and Gault is the heavily Mercenary BH. Skadge I suspect is there to represent the "Psychotic, Axe Crazy, Murder with a Liscence" Bounty Hunter, but I can't be sure because I haven't gotten through Belsaivs yet.

For the Smuggler... Corso is the optimist, Risha is the principled Cynic, while Avaki is purely cynical. I haven't gotten Guss yet, but he seems like the most "Archetypical" of the Smuggler's companions (The Con Man), while Bowdarr is... The Token Wookiee. He suffers from the same situation Broonmark is in, only he isn't the last companion you get..

Guildrum
04.26.2012 , 08:28 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
This thread is a living testimony that you cant please everyone.
No, as I've said, this is a thread to at least be a bit constructive and at least, keep all of these, "Why do I have Broonmark/Skadge/Billy Joe Jim Bob?!?!?!" threads down, with a central thread to keep them all in. If I want, I could create a favorite companion thread, though I am sure there are plenty already.

Quote:
For the Smuggler... Corso is the optimist, Risha is the principled Cynic, while Avaki is purely cynical. I haven't gotten Guss yet, but he seems like the most "Archetypical" of the Smuggler's companions (The Con Man), while Bowdarr is... The Token Wookiee. He suffers from the same situation Broonmark is in, only he isn't the last companion you get..
Guss is comic relief. Seriously, bring him along, and as well as decent heals for boss fights, he's funny.

Smuggler: We just need to give them a reason to come out...
Guss: Nope. No way. Not being bait. Not this time.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Icebergy
04.26.2012 , 08:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by BuckyCameron View Post
I absoluley love Kira, but unfortunatley, she takes very little aggro. Im not saying replace her, im saying increase her threat generation a bit.
Kira is not a tank, she is DPS. T7 and Scourge are your tanks.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant