Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commissions for Critted Gear - What Rates do you use?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Commissions for Critted Gear - What Rates do you use?

GnatB
04.25.2012 , 12:12 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
Success rate isn't random, it's a certian percentage modified by your companions affection and "natural" crafting bonus. I honestly don't know the rate at the moment, but since I generally craft an augmented piece within 6 tries, (My one odd 15 attempts is by far my worst, and about the 10th augmented thing I've tried for), I will use 1/6 for this example.
Ok, fine. To be completely accurate it's a weighted random, I guess I didn't think I really needed to specify weighted since most "randoms" in games are weighted randoms, and this one obviously is. (which actually makes the odds of "infinite" failure higher.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
If my chance is 1/6, I could charge 12x's the materials cost for one. That gives me 12 tries before I start losing profits.

In 12 tries (1/6 x 12/1 = 12/6 = 2) probability wise I should have made 2. Thus I profit.

So your statement is true there is "No way to charge a flat rate and always profit" but the probability you would lose money is low, and the amount of customers you will get from decent fees + uncomplicated transactions should make up for any once in awhile losses.

<.< For your flat rate, I'd just do a little research into the probability, then stack it in your favor within reason.
Which is pretty much what I was saying. I agree with the flat rate, hence my price of 10x CoM (though I'd put the odds closer to 1:5, and thus my figure of 10x CoM.) I'm just nitpicking that due to how random works (includeing weighted random), it is impossible to cover the "worst case scenario" as that would be infinite failures.

Urkanan
04.25.2012 , 12:49 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by shark_megabyte View Post
The arrangement that sounds the best to me so far is...
  • The buyer provides all mats to fuel the crafting attempts.
  • The buyer does not actually pay anything for the crafting, until the item is delivered.
  • The price paid for the item is based on the number of crafting attempts, with the highest possible amount agreed on in advance.

What do you think of this arrangement? What kind of terms have you used yourself, and how have people liked them?
Either I don't understand your point, or there is no doubt it sounds great to you.

To be sure: I provide the mats for all attempts, and then have to pay for the item?? Seriously?

The way i see it, I would give you a tip for... you know, being cool and keeping an eye on your companions, and for taking the time to research the eschematic if that is the case.

Marketing here is very simple: if you have no costs for making the item (I provide all mats), the only think you can charge for is providing the service.
The effort, time, and credits invested (by you) in being able to provide that service is something you should be looking to get back by adding all profits obtained in the long run. Not for every time you provide the service.

Your system, as a customer, seems highly unacceptable to me. All due respect.

Sorry, my economics English is very poor, hope I explained myself
If we insist in calling ourselves casual players, we need to accept that there is a downside to it: Hardcore players will always look cooler, be stronger, play better and in general win more often than we do

Luno
04.25.2012 , 02:58 PM | #13
if the buyer is supplying the mats, I'd charge a flat fee of 50K per block of 5 attempts.

Doomsdaycomes
04.25.2012 , 10:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
Ok, fine. To be completely accurate it's a weighted random, I guess I didn't think I really needed to specify weighted since most "randoms" in games are weighted randoms, and this one obviously is. (which actually makes the odds of "infinite" failure higher.)

Which is pretty much what I was saying. I agree with the flat rate, hence my price of 10x CoM (though I'd put the odds closer to 1:5, and thus my figure of 10x CoM.) I'm just nitpicking that due to how random works (includeing weighted random), it is impossible to cover the "worst case scenario" as that would be infinite failures.
^_^ I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply your 10x CoM was wrong, just simply wanted to point out to anyone out there that it's a probability issue that can be reasonably accounted for. I'd totally agree 10x CoM.

SpatterJack
04.26.2012 , 02:37 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Urkanan View Post
Either I don't understand your point, or there is no doubt it sounds great to you.

To be sure: I provide the mats for all attempts, and then have to pay for the item?? Seriously?

The way i see it, I would give you a tip for... you know, being cool and keeping an eye on your companions, and for taking the time to research the eschematic if that is the case.

Marketing here is very simple: if you have no costs for making the item (I provide all mats), the only think you can charge for is providing the service.
The effort, time, and credits invested (by you) in being able to provide that service is something you should be looking to get back by adding all profits obtained in the long run. Not for every time you provide the service.

Clearly, you don't understand the concept of "opportunity cost".

I can either use my companion to earn credits for myself, or I can use my companion to process the stack of materials you have provided. For example, if my companion can potentially earn me 30K profit per hour (from crafting or missions), why should my "service fee" to you be less than 30K per hour ?

The fact that you have provided a stack of materials is entirely irrelevant to the fact that I can earn 30K per hour from using my companion for personal gain.

Serbegorn
04.26.2012 , 03:51 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Urkanan View Post

It's a game dude, not a job. I play to have fun. Call me crazy I guess.