Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future 3D Space Combat

Monoth
04.24.2012 , 07:48 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.
And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.
Took SOE 6 months to get Space Combat in Star Wars Galaxies.... At least Bioware gave us a mini space game to hold us over....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Goretzu
04.24.2012 , 07:50 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Took SOE 6 months to get Space Combat in Star Wars Galaxies.... At least Bioware gave us a mini space game to hold us over....
I'd have rather they did what SoE did, hold off on space altogether and then work on it ASAP.

SWG JTL was well underway long before SWG went Live.

With the best will in the world I can't see a big space change this year (unless they have been doing what I said, only for some reason being very quiet about it).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Gruug
04.24.2012 , 07:51 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
The sad thing:

They were excited about space combat on rails - it failed.

They were excited about Ilum - it failed.

What can we expect?

Had to comment on this.
Would it have done any good for them to come out and say "we are NOT excited" about either of those? The point of being in business is to be excited about what you are doing and hoping that your customers will share that excitement. It doesn't always happen but if a business ISN'T excited about what they are producing I would call that business uninspired.

Anyway, did not mean to derail the discussion.

Give me an MMO that I can visit and have fun! Where what I pay for is not going to those that play for free.

Monoth
04.24.2012 , 07:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
Yeah, I spent most of my swg time in space. The fact that JTL came as an expansion, and proved to be so popular is one of the reasons full space should have been in tor at launch. They should have had that foresight.
It as not suppose to be an expansion, it was meant to be in the game from the beginning, they just didn't have time to finish it before the launch date...... Greedy SOE just took the opportunity to charge people for it....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

utio
04.24.2012 , 07:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertheron View Post
I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways
2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR
3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.
1. It won't, they have a space team to do it.
2. The benefit is something else to do, and star wars mmos really should have space. I understand that some people may not see a benefit, though.
3. I think you underestimate people, and even if a small percentage were to play, you can't exclude content based on percentage of involvement. I could say that ops are only done by a small percentage, and should not be included.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Zertheron
04.24.2012 , 07:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
That remains to be seen. The discussion over the space combat portion of the game and the pushing of said "3D space combat" on the beta forums was one of if not the hottest topics. There seems to be a huge interest in 3D space combat DONE RIGHT. Also, there is only a small number of players CURRENTLY interested in the space combat in game at present.
There are some players who want it. But I also know many, many players who are not interested in space combat at all and just played the first missions. And "to do it right" needs lot of capacities. I'm quite sure multiplayer battles were planned in the beginning, but didn't work well. (Space station attack for example, where you start with 3 player ships on your side.)

@Utio: You have to pay the "space team" too.

Monoth
04.24.2012 , 07:56 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
I'd have rather they did what SoE did, hold off on space altogether and then work on it ASAP.

SWG JTL was well underway long before SWG went Live.

With the best will in the world I can't see a big space change this year (unless they have been doing what I said, only for some reason being very quiet about it).
My issue with Jump to Lightspeed was the serious lack of content, after you did the few space missions there was nothing else to do... and PvP boiled down to who could turn the fastest would win....

Sure the whole Xwing vs Tie-Fighter vibe was cool, but without content it became boring pretty quick....

Goretzu
04.24.2012 , 07:57 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
Had to comment on this.
Would it have done any good for them to come out and say "we are NOT excited" about either of those? The point of being in business is to be excited about what you are doing and hoping that your customers will share that excitement. It doesn't always happen but if a business ISN'T excited about what they are producing I would call that business uninspired.

Anyway, did not mean to derail the discussion.
I honestly don't know what they were thinking with Ilum.

Ignoring the performance issues, the basic design of the RvR basin was terrible. They should have known much better from WAR.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Vankris
04.24.2012 , 07:57 AM | #29
It's been so long that i haven't played a space sim like

X-wing series: http://www.guerrestellari.net/spaw/i...0Power%204.jpg

But i agree, this is a huge undertaking, probably expansion worth.

Scar
04.24.2012 , 08:02 AM | #30
Something going on here that hasn't been announced? DE is Lead Writer, not Lead Designer that the article indicates.