Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is my spec too weak for this game???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Is my spec too weak for this game???

Athera
12.17.2011 , 06:23 AM | #11
Im actually right there with you, i temp. went back to wow because this game is so unbearable at my current fps rate. If it wasnt for my companion, i doubt id be able to do any quest.

Im hoping there is an update to my drivers or maybe it something internally from bioware and hope they fix that. If not ill have to quit playing this game. And i really dont want to go back to wow. I actually have a REALLY good fps rate there on the highest settings.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Premium
AMD Phenom II x4 830 Processor
ATI Radeon HD 5450
6g of Ram
on a 64-Bit operating system.

Honestly i think its the 64 bit that could be screwing me up since the game is run on 32bits, or am i just stupid and it has nothing to do with it?

Amarinth
12.17.2011 , 06:25 AM | #12
It sounds like it may be an ATI card/driver problem of some sort then You might want to check google (no search function on these forums atm unfortunately) for people with similar problems, or which drivers work best with ATI + TOR, or just to see if there are any ATI-specific tweaks you can do to improve performance.

That said 20% CPU useage also seems rather low. Is that the average useage, or just a single random point in time? Does it ever go higher than that?

My i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz is loaded between 30-40% most of the time with spikes of upto 50% useage. I would expect your CPU to be loaded at least similarly or somewhat higher due to your processor speed being lower, so the client should be making percentually higher use of your cores.
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 06:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Amarinth View Post
It sounds like it may be an ATI card/driver problem of some sort then You might want to check google (no search function on these forums atm unfortunately) for people with similar problems, or which drivers work best with ATI + TOR, or just to see if there are any ATI-specific tweaks you can do to improve performance.

That said 20% CPU useage also seems rather low. Is that the average useage, or just a single random point in time? Does it ever go higher than that?

My i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz is loaded between 30-40% most of the time with spikes of upto 50% useage. I would expect your CPU to be loaded at least similarly or somewhat higher due to your processor speed being lower, so the client should be making percentually higher use of your cores.
I'm constantly trying to find a tweak/solution for it but everything I found didn't work for me, I'm seriously considering not buying the full game now...

20% CPU usage is average, sometimes spikes up to 30% but I've never seen it go higher.

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 07:04 AM | #14
guys, I think I found a temporary solution...

I seem to get playable FPS if after logging in to SWTOR I instantly set all my settings from high to low, then I set them back, I get between 40-70 FPS (worst is 35 I've gotten so far, and of course bad FPS inside buildings, but there is a thread about this already http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=22835)

What I found helps
-Setting Texture anisotropy to low gives me a 5-10 FPS gain almost all times.
-If FPS falls below 40 FPS (it happens in some places in the game) usually temporarily setting shader quality to low compensates the lost FPS (but it makes the game look ugly)
-No other settings effect my FPS at all, only these 2 (after setting the game to low then back to high)