Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Old Republic, it is not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Old Republic, it is not.

Aloro
04.23.2012 , 01:18 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by RobertMcDonald View Post
The Imperial analog, the Agent, is so much cooler, and having the Republic version be an SIS Agent or Scout (to borrow a KotOR class) would've been a much, much better idea, IMO.
While I understand your point and agree to an extent, I also like that each faction has one non-force-using class that works for the government (IA/Trooper) and one non-force-using class that's just out for profit/fun/whatever (Smuggler/BH). If the Smuggler were turned into an SIS agent or what-have-you, then literally every Republic class would be working for the government, with no room for freelancers.

I wouldn't be opposed to BW adding an SIS Agent and Imperial Trooper at some point though.

RobertMcDonald
04.23.2012 , 04:18 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Aloro View Post
While I understand your point and agree to an extent, I also like that each faction has one non-force-using class that works for the government (IA/Trooper) and one non-force-using class that's just out for profit/fun/whatever (Smuggler/BH). If the Smuggler were turned into an SIS agent or what-have-you, then literally every Republic class would be working for the government, with no room for freelancers
Good point. Though I feel like Freelancers almost need to be faction-neutral. There's no reason why a Smuggler couldn't work for the Empire or a Bounty Hunter for the Republic. Granted, that would make things much more difficult for Bioware, but it would be a neat idea. Perhaps you could pick a faction at level 10 and only be neutral on your starting planet. Given how the classes mirror each other, I don't think it's a terrible idea.

On a slightly related note, the fact that Jedi Knights play rather like Sith Warriors isn't too big a deal to me (the absurdity of Force Choke --> "Force Stasis" aside). But Bounty Hunters working identically to Troopers seems a bit weird and the Smuggler to Imperial Agent parallel doubly so. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I just find it weird. (It also makes writing and reading guides somewhat bothersome.)

Aloro
04.23.2012 , 04:39 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by RobertMcDonald View Post
Good point. Though I feel like Freelancers almost need to be faction-neutral.
Were it up to me, there'd be a third faction: Hutts, and the Smuggler and BH would be with them by default. Also, I'd allow people to move from one faction to another, albeit with some limitations (e.g. no more than one move per character per month). But it's not up to me!

Jenzali
04.23.2012 , 05:38 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by jayderyu View Post
The game of ToR. This is all over the place in regards to movie fiction of a linear elements. All Hunters are Fett. I don't know why, but they are.
Not really. Only a few of the armor sets look anything like the Fetts'. Plenty of the earlier armor looks like the other bounty hunters you see in episode 5, for example the Arabic-looking head towel or a robo-cop style visor.

Quote:
Alderaan, really? House Organa? we are talking about 3000 years and no other house has ever risen to power? How do we even now that House Organa was even prominent on Alderaan?
Organa didn't have power in SWTOR, it's stated that one of the other houses just recently fell and now there's a dispute between Thul, Organa, and some of the other houses.

Quote:
Hoth. Hoth was chosen because it was an ice planet that no one ever went to. Hoth was the republic base because it was well hidden. Why is there now a civilization and bases on it for 3000 years? I could go on, but I'm wasting valuable play ToR play time on this.
They explain that there was a space battle that occurred above Hoth and all the starships fell to its surface. The only reason republic/imperials are there is because they want to reclaim the technology from the wrecked ships, including that of a few prototype ships. But otherwise it seems like they're ready to get off that planet as soon as possible.

Don't forget that technology hardly changes at all over the entire star wars timeline. Stuff is what it is not because it "makes sense", rather because it's more interesting to be part of. There are a couple retcons I can think of in SWTOR, but otherwise everything is spot on.