Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shinarika - Shadow Breaker [Ultimate Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin Guide]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Shinarika - Shadow Breaker [Ultimate Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin Guide]

Xinika
04.23.2012 , 12:20 AM | #1
(New) 1/26/2015: PvP Update
This update pays optimal attention to PvP in general
\\
Deception / Infiltration (Click for Video)
Shadow of Revan's Update
Due to the increase health pools and generally reduced TTK, Deception (aka Infiltration) has fallen behind dramatically in the new expansion. There may be the slim opportunity it may have to toss a smile back to its old days, but this is a glimmer of false hope at best. Against equally geared and knowledgeable opponents, the spec's weaknesses quickly comes into the light.

It is vulnerable to kiting with high dependency on healers and others to back it up. On some occasions it can relive part of its glory days by picking off wounded or clueless foes. This spec is not recommended in its current incarnation. It has less burst and survivability than sorcs and is even less useful than concealment operatives. However, it is 'fun' to play and has, arguably, some of the best animations this game has to offer.

Utilities
Avoidance, Obfuscation, Electric Bindings
Emersion, Audacity
Dark Stability, Shroud of Madness

Damage: Below Average
Survivability: Average
Usefulness: Very Low
Coolness Factor: Very High

Refer to this thread for information on gearing.

\\
Hatred / Serenity (Click for Video)
Shadow of Revan's Update
Hatred / Serenity, formerly known as Madness / Balance has dramatically improved - unlike its sister counterpart. After years of being generally useless in PvP, the spec is very strong at last. Sporting sufficient pressure damage and self sustainability without over reliance on others, it is the recommended DPS spec to use right now. It is a good team player with high cleave damage, along with the classic utility that Shadows and Assassins bring.

Utilities
Avoidance, Lambaste (for Aoe) or Obfuscation, Electric Bindings
Disjunction, Emersion

Damage: High
Survivability: High
Usefulness: High
Coolness Factor: Average

\\
Darkness / Kinetic Combat (Click for Video)
Shadow of Revan's Update
Darkness / Kinetic Combat is currently in its best, team-play incarnation. It is very strong and very useful to the team with solid damage to back it up. It also acts as a counter to other Inquisitors, driving its usage even higher. It is one of the best tank specs in PvP at the moment as well. The only drawback is that it suffers from lone play in comparison to its DPS counterparts. However, Darkness combined with a Healer and a right team makes this spec, perhaps, the best team player spec in the game.

Utilities
Avoidance, Insulation, Electric Bindings
Disjunction, Emersion

Damage: Above Average
Survivability: Above Average (Without Healer) / Very High (With Healer)
Usefulness: Very High
Coolness Factor: High

2015 Update
Credit to Exilove for Deception / Infiltration and Aelanis for Hatred / Serenity updates

Deception / Infiltration PvE Update (Click Me)
"Deception pretty much plays like it used to. The energy management got slightly changed and we got a replacement ability for Shock but that is really all there is to it as far as mechanical 3.0 changes go.

You still have your choice for utilities which I highly advise you judge on a boss-to-boss basis. Each boss has unique abilities and that makes different utilities particulary useful.

Overall though, I would generally not recommend the exercise of the Deception Discipline at all given the current strength of Hatred. Hatred beats Deception at AoE, Single Target, and in some cases even at burst capabilities."

- Evolixe

Hatred / Serenity PvE Update (Click Me)
Hatred plays very similarly to the old Madness Assassin. Energy Management became somewhat easier outside of execute range, and very tight in the execute range, and the AoE rotation was almost entirely revamped. With the new Leeching Strike, and change of self-heals from triggering on periodic effect critical hits to being simply damage based, we saw a huge increase in self-healing and survivability that has made it the go-to spec for PvP.

Utility selection should go on a boss-by-boss basis, as we have a wide variety of abilities that can make certain situations go from challenging to sleep inducing.

While typically the superior choice, some bosses are better fought in Deception. However, with the decent burst Hatred can achieve, especially if given time to set up, Deception has lost some of the advantages it once had.
- Aelanis

2014 Guides
Spoiler

2013 Guides
Spoiler

2012 End-Year Guide

Spoiler

2012 1.65 Update

Spoiler

2012 Original Guide

Spoiler
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action

Exzileforgotten
04.23.2012 , 01:23 AM | #2
Great as always but I just lost all desire to play dps shadow. Just seems silly when you can wear heavy and do more dps =( GG vanguard

Xinika
04.23.2012 , 03:20 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Exzileforgotten View Post
Great as always but I just lost all desire to play dps shadow. Just seems silly when you can wear heavy and do more dps =( GG vanguard
Another one to the darkside...
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action

mclammitys
04.23.2012 , 05:41 AM | #4
Nice video!

But i would like to ask why dont you use single target taunt as you can use it 30m and no power cost and it dosent trigger global cooldown?

Allmost every assasin/shadow pvp vid i see lot off times people dont use it. I just wonder why? i dont see the down side off it as its nice to but on some dps hammering our healers. Just wonder have i missed some reson why most people dont user it?
Fluffy The Drunk Assas.... Shadow =)
Guild: Harbinger
Role: GM
Raiting: +3,9K My Stream

jbuschell
04.23.2012 , 05:52 AM | #5
I'm always taunting in all specs, all it does is lead to more medals
E-Thuggin since 1987

jbuschell
04.23.2012 , 05:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Exzileforgotten View Post
I have an assault VG and I do about the same Dmg and protection on both my VG and my balance shadow except my shadow gets more self heals. Assault VG is also pretty squishy especially since most Dmg in this game bypasses armor, unless you're tank spec you still die pretty quickly
E-Thuggin since 1987

Feralclaw
04.23.2012 , 05:58 AM | #7
Two thumbs up for this, well it's really 4 thumbs up using the ones from the feet as well!

Thanks for helping to keep the class alive, no matter the spec, how squishy we are, how low DPS we perform in tank compared to others, if we play to the full of our habilities we still are a great, deadly and useful class imo.

Payneintherear
04.23.2012 , 07:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jbuschell View Post
Assault VG is also pretty squishy especially since most Dmg in this game bypasses armor, unless you're tank spec you still die pretty quickly
This is blantantly false. Armor is the single most important defensive stat, as very few skills, comparatively, bypass armor .

GekoKujo
04.23.2012 , 07:12 AM | #9
Thank you very much for continuing to post videos and taking the effort that is required to produce these. It can be very time intensive. Well done.

I just want to say that I probably speak for many when I say that I believe very little of what I read on this forum. It is frankly, just as bad as any other MMO. I do however, find what you produce to have some validity, due to showing your experience. As opposed to the majority of people that post and boo hoo about Shadows who really cannot validate what they say. It ends up being nonsense and heresay.

So again thank you for posting these vids. Shadows/sins are a great class but are even better when the player is really good. Player skill trumps all else. Been this way since the beginning of games.

jbuschell
04.23.2012 , 07:15 AM | #10
Uhh not really, yeah it mitigates some Dmg, but not to the point where the survivability is gamebreaking as an all out dps spec VG have you even played one?
E-Thuggin since 1987