Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

StephenReid
04.20.2012 , 02:30 PM | #1
As a reminder: these instructions only apply to the Asia-Pacific character transfer system. A more advanced character transfer system is being developed.

Hello everyone. We've heard from quite a few of you who created 'name placeholder' characters on the APAC servers (Dalborra, Gav Daragon and Master Dar'Nala) upon their launch, and are now wondering if you should delete those placeholder characters before the transfer process begins. This is partially covered in our FAQ but I wanted to go into more detail and hopefully clarify for you.

This is a little tricky so please read carefully, and I'll try to answer follow-up questions in this thread as they occur. (Apologies in advance if due to timezone differences or the weekend I'm not super-prompt.) If you have any issues with the character transfer process, please contact Customer Service.

Here's the short version: if you have sufficient character slots free on your destination server, you can transfer your characters and then delete your placeholder characters - therefore ensuring you retain your character name after transfer.

Let's get more detailed. First, you need to be aware of the restrictions on character slots. There will always only be eight character slots available on any single target server for you to transfer characters to, and transferred characters will not 'overwrite' characters with the same name. That's important because if you're transferring characters to 'replace' a placeholder character, you may find that you don't have enough free slots to transfer to.

For example: you have six characters that you wish to transfer to the Dalborra server, on which you have previously created six placeholder characters with the same names as your incoming transferred characters. As those six characters do not 'overwrite' the existing placeholder characters, you will be unable to move all six characters and will actually only be able to move two.

This essentially means that if you are trying to transfer more than four characters to 'replace' a placeholder character, you will not be able to transfer all of them to a single server. You will need to delete some characters on the destination server to make room for incoming transferred characters. This does mean that there's a chance another character will be created on that server with that name in the interim.

However, if you do have free slots, you can transfer characters to your destination server, delete your placeholder characters, then rename your transferred characters. This process would happen as follows:

- After your transfer is complete, you will be notified via email.

- You will login to the game and navigate to the new region in the server select screen.

- You will select your chosen destination server.

- On the character select screen you will see any of your placeholder characters, and also your transferred characters. (Your transferred characters will have randomly generated names; you should be able to recognize them visually, though!)

- You may delete any or all of your placeholder characters.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON RENAMING: If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

- After a placeholder character is deleted, click their 'replacement' character (see note above!) and then click 'Play'. You will be prompted to rename them. Rename them to your previous 'placeholder' name. (You will actually not login to the game after this point, but will remain on the character select screen and see your renamed character.)

- Your character will be renamed and ready to play.

- After you have renamed your first transferred character, you will be prompted to rename every other character that has been transferred. If you have not deleted your other placeholder characters at this point, click the 'X' to cancel the rename process.

In summary, if you are attempting to transfer more than four characters to a single server with 'name placeholder' characters, then you may need to delete some placeholder characters to make room for all your characters that are being transferred. However if you have space (or choose to transfer characters to differing servers) you should be able to use your 'name placeholders' to ensure you keep your transferred characters' names.

Hopefully this makes the process a little clearer. Again, as a reminder, this is not a description of any final character transfer process - just what will be occurring specifically for the Asia-Pacific character transfer process.

danpen
04.20.2012 , 02:34 PM | #2
Well siad mate
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

DavydM
04.20.2012 , 02:40 PM | #3
That makes sense, but just to be safe can we get some sort of assurance that if this process screws up can we get customer support to rename our characters afterwards for us? I think that would make a lot of people feel a lot happier about it
Squadron 419

Dalborra Conquerer Davyd Redstrum <The Shadow Syndicate> (Guildmaster)

StephenReid
04.20.2012 , 03:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DavydM View Post
That makes sense, but just to be safe can we get some sort of assurance that if this process screws up can we get customer support to rename our characters afterwards for us? I think that would make a lot of people feel a lot happier about it
Customer Service will absolutely be able to help you in that (hopefully unlikely) scenario.

ploKOOL
04.20.2012 , 05:23 PM | #5
Sounds simple enough. Thanks for clearing that up Stephen!

StarKiwi
04.20.2012 , 06:31 PM | #6
Hi Stephen - will the procedure be the same if the legacy name I am transferring over to one of the Asia Pacific servers already exists - i.e I'll get the option to change it?
(Also, unrelated, but could you consider adding NZ times when you are posting up maintenance/patching downtimes? Thanks!)

EvilZeRo
04.20.2012 , 08:31 PM | #7
if you already have a legacy on oceanic servers it will use that name even if the legacy being transferred in is of a higher level.

you will get to have that higher level on your oceanic legacy but the name will not change.
-=/After time adrift among open stars,along tides of light and through shoals of dust, I will return to where I began\=-

AKIHA
04.21.2012 , 01:52 AM | #8
Nice post, its good to know this if the EU and US servers will going be abble to have transfers servers too.
Trayus Academy PvP server
S. Scoundrel - KIZUNNA Main: J. Shadow - AKIHA J. Guardian - Kizunna
The ShadowElite Legacy

Havokk
04.21.2012 , 02:05 AM | #9
Thank you for the clarification, Stephen, much appreciated.
▂▇≡≡≡≡≡≡≡()▇(₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦

freekyjason
04.21.2012 , 03:06 AM | #10
great to have some clarification on this, guess ill need to delete 3 characters before the transfer :/
C.E Squadron 419
Not a Valued Subscriber