Change to rewards is a step in the right direction, but TTK is still way too short.

Sweeet

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the only one in this thread that brought up Columi gear, why? What does Columi gear have to do with pvp? Recruit is garbage aside the increased expertise over Centurion and Champion gear, however Cent and Champ still has much better stats. Why should I buy a suit of Recruit and only have 13K health with 900 expertise which doesn't help much when the suit's stats are low. Even if recruit's stats are low, endurance should've been a little higher.

PS- oh and thanks for swapping out +power stats for +defense stats on Tionese, Centurion and Champion gear, they're so useless to me as a medicine operative... :rolleyes:

That was precisely the point of my post: 900 expertise is worth a lot. The difference of 900 expertise in PvP is a lot more pronounced than additional 200 health from higher endurance on Centurion gear.

Recruit is on par, if not better than Centurion gear when it comes to PvP due to the importance of expertise post 1.2. (It replaced Centurion gear). Yes, you're missing out on a bunch of health and PvE stats and a set bonus, but the difference in expertise that affects survivability, healing and damage makes up for it.

Tionese, Centurion and Champion are identical to 1.1.5 now (a bug related to the stats on that gear changing was fixed in the last patch).

Hey guys,

A few additional notes on this topic, fresh from a meeting with Gabe and the PvP team.

(a) Expertise difference between combatants is the single most important factor in time to kill in PvP.

Having zero or little expertise on your gear (e.g. pure PvE gear) is the primary reason for people to experience a sped-up time to death in Game Update 1.2. While it was quite viable pre-1.2 to bring your Rakata or Columi gear without any added expertise into PvP, the increased focus on expertise in the PvP track of gear has made it much harder to compete with that equipment compared to even the entry level Recruit set.

Consequently, the single most effective step you can take to decrease time to death (i.e. increase time to kill of your opponent) is to gear for increased expertise. Coming from PvE, obtaining at least some pieces of Recruit gear is definitely recommended.

We're aware that this fact is not adequately communicated in the game and that the cost of recruit gear is perceived as too prohibitive by some of you. We're in the process of working on a solution for these issues at the moment.

TL;DR: Expertise is a lot more valuable than any other stat in PvP. Recruit gear easily beats Columi for PvP.

(b) In response to your feedback, we've re-tested all classes to ensure they are falling within our desired DPS targets and found one issue with Demo Round / Heatseeker Missile which was getting increased DPS, not just from other people's stacks but also from an unwanted interaction with other skills. That issue was corrected in the 1.2.0c patch this week.

© There has been some level of inflation in the overall DPS budget of the game as result of Legacy benefits and other changes. Over time, these add up and as it stands, we have established that the global burst potential across the game is slightly higher than we are targeting. We will likely take some minor to moderate action about this in the near future by adjustments to the magnitude and duration of offensive relics (longer duration, reduced magnitude, identical power amortized over time).

(d) When faced with groups of enemies, stacking debuffs can result a real TTK issue. We are in process of revamping the debuff system in the game to reduce the impact of multi player debuff stacking on TTK.

Hi Georg, thx for the reply, and i hope you guys have the clear idea what r u doing for pvp.

I play as a Sorcerer, i dont have time to grow up at 50 another toon, right to play as a sorcerer is a mess.

Im wearing full battlemaster set plus 1 peace of war hero, with 1215 expertise, and i receive shot form sentinel Marauder for 4500 5000 damage, with Bubble on in few second.

Yes i have stun thats right but most of the time they resist...... i can run.... but they can jump on me.... not always tehre is a guild mate covering and helping you.

So i thought i go ful Healing..... nothing same story, impossible to cast and i die as well as before.

Only viable spec is the Madness one, but still is squish but doing damage.

Now if u guys revised all the buff and relic, all the sorcere become toilette papers.....

I dont want roll another class because you nerfed.... at least give the possibility that there is a viability of healing or damage without dieing in 3 4 shot, cuz this happend quiet often.

Im in a PvP server where most of the person know how to play pvp and now in every wz i have 3 4 melee constantly on me, even if im healer or not.... Probably on PvE server this doesnt happend, but when you try the Patch on PTS try with person wearing full top equipment please!!!

I personally know 10 other sorcerer that quitted the game cuz you guys change to mutch on the sorcerer/sage.

I hope this message receive is being read, im very frustrated, i love this game, but i hate some decision that have been taken regarding sorcerer and person that play only one charcter......

Best regard

A frustrated sorc......

No they werent. DPS was being reduced by expertise.

In 1.2, Mitigation and Bonus DMG cancel each other out perfectly.

Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice if that was more obvious, without doing testing, or knowing the developers' equations. Still, adjusting these levels, among other things, obviously had a significant impact on pvp damage. They normalized the levels so they cancel out, but I hope they didn't intend pvp to be like this.

Edited by Scramilton

Georg,

Thanks for the reply on this. I feel like expertise affecting DPS far more than mitigation or healing is what is making us feel so squishy. Myself I have over 1220 expertise and against certain classes, 1v1 even, like marauders I can easily be defeated in 4-5 GCDs.

Would you be able to tell from overall number of WZ kills now vs pre-1.2? I expect there should be a substantial increase. Hopefully you guys track this stat. Also any chance on sharing with us? : )

Like the guy above stated, the TTK thing goes beyond expertise. People in full recruit gear are getting stomped by people in BM/WH gear just like people in PVE gear are getting stomped by everyone. Recruit gear giving you 13000 health is stupid. You need a massive PVP gear normalization. Everyone should have 'PVP gear' automatically switched into upon joining a warzone, and that gear should be normalized from AC to AC to enforce parity. When something needs buffed or nerfed in PVP, you buff or nerf an AC's PVP set.

New gear shouldn't be a reward for competing in PVP, you should just get new appearances, titles, pets, etc. PVP should always be about the PVP, not about enforcing a gear disparity for no other reason than because other MMOs do it (badly).

Also, snares and roots need their own DR system if you're not going to put them onto Resolve. Call it Tenacity or something and make it a second bar.

Edited by Onager

Hey guys,

A few additional notes on this topic, fresh from a meeting with Gabe and the PvP team.

(a) Expertise difference between combatants is the single most important factor in time to kill in PvP.

Having zero or little expertise on your gear (e.g. pure PvE gear) is the primary reason for people to experience a sped-up time to death in Game Update 1.2. While it was quite viable pre-1.2 to bring your Rakata or Columi gear without any added expertise into PvP, the increased focus on expertise in the PvP track of gear has made it much harder to compete with that equipment compared to even the entry level Recruit set.

Consequently, the single most effective step you can take to decrease time to death (i.e. increase time to kill of your opponent) is to gear for increased expertise. Coming from PvE, obtaining at least some pieces of Recruit gear is definitely recommended.

We're aware that this fact is not adequately communicated in the game and that the cost of recruit gear is perceived as too prohibitive by some of you. We're in the process of working on a solution for these issues at the moment.

TL;DR: Expertise is a lot more valuable than any other stat in PvP. Recruit gear easily beats Columi for PvP.

(b) In response to your feedback, we've re-tested all classes to ensure they are falling within our desired DPS targets and found one issue with Demo Round / Heatseeker Missile which was getting increased DPS, not just from other people's stacks but also from an unwanted interaction with other skills. That issue was corrected in the 1.2.0c patch this week.

© There has been some level of inflation in the overall DPS budget of the game as result of Legacy benefits and other changes. Over time, these add up and as it stands, we have established that the global burst potential across the game is slightly higher than we are targeting. We will likely take some minor to moderate action about this in the near future by adjustments to the magnitude and duration of offensive relics (longer duration, reduced magnitude, identical power amortized over time).

(d) When faced with groups of enemies, stacking debuffs can result a real TTK issue. We are in process of revamping the debuff system in the game to reduce the impact of multi player debuff stacking on TTK.

Thanks for the response. But in reality this answer is a bit of a cop out. I loved pvp pre 1.2. Sure it was nearly impossible to take down a team with 4 healers. I love pvp post 1.2. I am a full BM geared assault tree trooper.

Whatever you decide to do, I'll adapt.

But if you are blaming TTK on legacy and and relics, you are not seeing the problem (if one exists and the new style is actually intended).

I kill things much faster and I get killed much faster. You can show me math and theorycrafting. I am going by the experience of playing at least 15 warzones a day.

If you want one person's opinion on which was better...I'll take pre 1.2. I felt that skill was much more prevalent. As a squishy ranged I used to use posts and LOS and kiting and positioning. I still do that but to a much less effective degree. It seems it's a bit more about who can mash buttons faster these days.

No they werent. DPS was being reduced by expertise.

In 1.2, Mitigation and Bonus DMG cancel each other out perfectly.

edit: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=423665

I would disagree. Yes the raw % are different. And yes due to the way damage and mitigation is processed, the end result may be equivalent. But everyone is forgetting how useless mitigation is, unless I missed that PvP change.

Classical example for equal expertise opponents (post 1.2):

Attacker does 2000 dmg + 20% Expertise dmg = 2400 dmg

Recipient has 16% Expertise Mitigation = hit for 2016 dmg

This case is assuming the damage is mitigated in the first place. As far as I can tell, the expertise bonus for damage is added all across the board to all damage types. But the kicker is this; mitigation is not the same for every damage type. The defensive counterparts to offensive stats and attacks are spotty (go to sithwarrior.com for the theorycrafting or ask a Tank if they PvP with tank gear or DPS gear). Leaving out the differences between Acc/Def, Crit/Shield, Surge/Absorption; the armor mitigates Kinetic and Energy damage, but not Elemental or Internal damage..

So I know BW is working out the class balances. But please do not say that expertise balances itself out. Pre-1.2 patch, everyone knew that Elemental and Internal damage were the best offensive DPS classes. People exploited this flaw in armor mitigation pre-1.2, it was noticeable in PvP, people brought up these issues, and BW mostly ignored it. That is still the case Post-1.2 but now ALL damage has a higher bonus. So the numbers may appear to balance themselves out, but this added expertise bonus damage is making this exploitation worse.

When damage is actually mitigated the offense/mitigation bonus from expertise work themselves out. But mitigation is not equivalent to damage in the first place, thus resulting in faster DPS and lower TTK. I encourage BW to go back and address these issues because people are noticing a difference BECAUSE there is a difference.

If you are not a DPS class doing internal/elemental damage then chances are you are spending more of your time stun-locked, dying, or behind the zone doors because you keep dying.

Edited by Kil-Gorbane

Hey guys,

Some of this is puzzling. What legacy benefits are producing more dps in pvp? We have had relics from the start and now that also is some how out of balance? Marauder/Sents highest hit, viewed by mousing over their total damage, are hitting 5k-6k damage.. yet the problem you find was with Commando/Mercs? I havent seen a merc/commando get a high hit of over 3500, hell most classes highest hit usually is around 2800-3200 at most but that is vastly different than the current sent/mara hits.

I also understand expertise is way more important... I believe most of us hardcore pvpers all know this. Bm geared players vs other bm geared players are still seeing big numbers.

I really hope you can clarify some of my above statements a bit better though its nice to finally get an official response. We, the hardcore pvpers, do truely thank you for responding but it seems the known issues, in the hardcore crowd, seem unexplained.

Well I'll be damned, Georg did the thing he should have done a week ago. He addressed his angry customers. Thanks Georg, now if you could just consistently do this, a ton of us "whiners" would shut up.

Although most of what you say makes sense. I still think you guys are looking at too much numbers. And not spending enough time watching the numbers play out. You make it sound like you think the expertise between recruit and BM+ are whats causing a ton of issues. I hope you are exaggerating. Because if your not, it means you think how fast Battlemaster geared people are dying, is perfectly acceptable. Which it is not. No one should die as quick as they have been.

I hope the debuff stacking angle is the real issue here. As that makes sense as to why it affects everyone. Regardless though, I am fully geared BM and this PVP you patched in was crap. Cally of duty does not charge a monthly fee for one shot kill pvp. So please differentiate yourself.

And next time you have a patch on PTS, do everything opposite to how you did it. You know, things like allowing everyone to test it. And then when they give feedback, listen to it. And if you were listening. Let people know you were. And not just once, the first day they put up feedback. Little things like acknowledgment go a long way.....especially when your being paid, with our money.

PS:Maybe my math is just really that bad, but with all the nerfs to healing. Did expertise really need to be adjusted to create a large disparity between healing bonus, and damage output/mitigation? I just dont get that. I know output and mitigation offset each other. But what about healing? And not a comparison against itself pre 1.2 to post 1.2. But instead, how it relates to the increase in other stats. Are you trying to effectively knock healing down another peg via that method?

I love it.

Bioware, based on QQs from sorely bad PvPers, re-tested all of the classes/specs, and they only found a problem with one skill on a BH.

I'm going to link this thread in all the new marauder QQ threads baddies post.

Hey guys,

PvP stats such as Expertise should never have a different value based on the level of gear you have, Be it Recruit/BM/War Leader.

The Idea behind Expertise is to separate PVE and PvP sets for PvP in the game... Giving different values on gear that already have different values of stats is silly and UN-needed.

For example, the difference between Battlemaster and Recruit is substantial, Not only is BM gear Moddable, and has a Set bonus, It has greater stats then Recruit as well, And you're throwing in a PvP stat on top of it is completely pointless when separating ti from PVE and PvP gear.

Simply put, Normalize the expertise bonus on all PvP sets, let the actual stats separate the gear, Not the PvP stat.

Hey guys,

Look at the multi-player cc stacking. This does impact the TTK issues also.

Another learn to play thread. Will these ever end?

I look forward to a day when I can come to the pvp forums and see worthwhile pvp discussions and not a bunch of crying. TTK is based on your skill and method of attack. If you play stupid well of course you are going to loose.

Play smart. Win.

I would disagree. Yes the raw % are different. And yes due to the way damage and mitigation is processed, the end result may be equivalent. But everyone is forgetting how useless mitigation is, unless I missed that PvP change.

Classical example for equal expertise opponents (post 1.2):

Attacker does 2000 dmg + 20% Expertise dmg = 2400 dmg

Recipient has 16% Expertise Mitigation = hit for 2016 dmg

This case is assuming the damage is mitigated in the first place. As far as I can tell, the expertise bonus for damage is added all across the board to all damage types. But the kicker is this; mitigation is not the same for every damage type. The defensive counterparts to offensive stats and attacks are spotty (go to sithwarrior.com for the theorycrafting or ask a Tank if they PvP with tank gear or DPS gear). Leaving out the differences between Acc/Def, Crit/Shield, Surge/Absorption; the armor mitigates Kinetic and Energy damage, but not Elemental or Internal damage..

So I know BW is working out the class balances. But please do not say that expertise balances itself out. Pre-1.2 patch, everyone knew that Elemental and Internal damage were the best offensive DPS classes. People exploited this flaw in armor mitigation pre-1.2, it was noticeable in PvP, people brought up these issues, and BW mostly ignored it. That is still the case Post-1.2 but now ALL damage has a higher bonus. So the numbers may appear to balance themselves out, but this added expertise bonus damage is making this exploitation worse.

When damage is actually mitigated the offense/mitigation bonus from expertise work themselves out. But mitigation is not equivalent to damage in the first place, thus resulting in faster DPS and lower TTK. I encourage BW to go back and address these issues because people are noticing a difference BECAUSE there is a difference.

Very good points, didn't think about that

So the real question that needs answering is when the "PvE" mitigation stats are calculated compared to when Expertise mitigation is calculated or are they added together?

If PvE mitigation is calculated before expertise mitigation then an example would look like this:

ATTACKER does 2000 dmg to DEFENDER

Add in +22% bonus dmg

ATTACKER does 2440 dmg to DEFENDER

Add in PvE mitigation (too many variables for an exact number here but lets say 10% for a general idea)

ATTACKER does 2186 dmg to DEFENDER

And finally add in expertise Mitigation at 18%

ATTACKER does 1793 dmg to DEFENDER

207 DMG Mitigated in the end

If Mitigation from expertise is calculated first:

Add in +22% bonus dmg

18% mitigation from expertise

And finally 10% mitigation from "PvE" stats

ATTACKER does 1800 dmg to DEFENDER

200 DMG mitigated in the end

If the two types of mitigation are added together before calculations:

Add in 22% dmg bonus

28% mitigation from all defensive stats

ATTACKER does 1757 dmg to DEFENDER

243 dmg mitigated in the end.

That is 3 possible scenarios all with different results. Hmmmmm. I put my money on the second example, seeing as how TTK has been decreased so much, especially for squishy people.

Funny thing though that as a sorc-heal in full BM-gear I felt like a "glass cannon" without the cannon-effect on healing...

But thanks that you made it clear, that the way it is now is almost the desired state of gameplay, therfore I don't have to check if resubbing would be an option...

So basically what is being said is the gear gap is causing people to die fast.

There is an answer to this without changing the stat itself. Give all PvP gear the same amount of Expertise.

And can we talk about the alacrity smeared all over the Operative Healing gear?

Is it possible to get expertise on gear while your character is level 10-49? I'm hoping the answer is no and therefore the expertise difference in the 10-49 bracket is zero (i.e. no one has expertise).

TTK may be longer now, but do you really want to go back to WZs dominated by healer/tank compositions only? Playing DPS was pointless before. Tanks put out more than enough damage to kill off DPS. Healers too. If you just went all tank/healer then you couldn't be stopped. At least now DPS classes have real impact on the fight.

Another learn to play thread. Will these ever end?

I look forward to a day when I can come to the pvp forums and see worthwhile pvp discussions and not a bunch of crying. TTK is based on your skill and method of attack. If you play stupid well of course you are going to loose.

Play smart. Win.

Yeeeah... Im a PT tank, who really loves PvE, and used to love PvP. However, after 1.2, I dont find it fun as a tank. Pre-1.2, I could stay alive long enough vs 1-2 dps'ers (depending on how skilled) to call for help in voidstar or civil war.

Post-1.2, I can hold my own for ~8-15 seconds vs 1 dpser (again, depending on skill, and class now).

Figured this was just me, as I have stacked quite a bit of PvE gear (needed endurance because of guard). Only have three BM pieces, and if I swap over to recruit, I drop insane amounts of hp, which renders me even more useless (Guard a healer at 15k hp = me dropping 50% of my hp from healer dying = me beeing piss easy to kill).

However, I talked to some other tanks, and they have the same experience as me. Three of the five i talked to have swapped to dps, two have stopped doing pvp until we are useful in pvp again.

Me, well, I've stopped pvp'ing at the 50 bracket until I get my operative to 50 (can at least see if it is possible to heal at all in warzones.)

If that doesnt pan out, well, there is always PvE. :-D Which atm, I find a helluva lot more entertaining than PvP.

But meh, guess I'm gonna get flamed for using pve gear in warzones now. But pay notice: One of the tanks I talked to (Guardian), is full bm with 2-3 war hero pieces, with the same experience as me. (10k hits from marauder lolwut?).

TL;DR: Lazy bastard, read the post.

If these two minor points are the only actions you'll even consider looking at then you really aren't listening are you?

You say that DPS and TTK are near enough on target but clearly the community isn't happy about that. Surely you should be making your targets based on the requests of the community as a whole, we want slower combat in PvP. Clearly, you don't.

Thats fine, if the game is going to continue in this direction that many of us are unhappy about no doubt we can find another game to take up our time with. Thats not a threat but if I want super fast TTK times I'll go play an FPS, I want strategy and meaningful combat, currently I'm not getting this on a Sage. So with that in mind, maybe I should pickup a copy of WoW. It is after all the largest subscriber based MMO around, so I'm sure they're doing something right.

Edited by Lawrie

Just stop and think for a minute, This is coming from the same guy who at the guild summit said Tanking stats are fine for pvp. Even stating that my tankassin really hurts himself by slotting all that dps power mods that allows me to slaughter everyone with him as opposed to NOT shielding damn near anything in tanking gear.... Yeah same guy, welcome to Bioware's vision of PVP. I honestly doubt he plays his own game.

TTK has gone down, but it's manageable. If you have people in a group, working together, healing/shielding/cc/ing and peeling and protecting each other it still is fast paced, maybe a little too fast, but at least it isn't a tank/heal circle jerk like it was.

Personally I'd like to see a little more mitigate from expertise, on par with the damage increase. With the other buffs that went into play to certain classes this patch that along would be more than enough to bring pvp to a better place in my opinion.

The stacking debuffs can certainly be an issue as well, although some should indeed stack as you have multiple people attacking that target. Obviously some shouldn't, and that should be addressed individually, not with a global change hopefully.

Edited by Guiken
learned to type

TTK has gone down, but it's manageable. If you have people in a group, working together, healing/shielding/cc/ing and peeling and protecting each other it still is face paced, maybe a little too fast, but at least it isn't a tank/heal circle jerk like it was.

Personally I'd like to see a little more mitigate from expertise, on par with the damage increase. With the other buffs that went into play to certain classes this patch that along would be more than enough to bring pvp to a better place in my opinion.

The stacking debuffs can certainly be an issue as well, although some should indeed stack as you have multiple people attacking that target. Obviously some shouldn't, and that should be addressed individually, not with a global change hopefully.

Excellent post, A+++++ would read again.

Clueless about what the players want...

Clueless how their own game works...

Clueless how to fix bugs (e.g. double dipping) without ruining the playstyle completely...

AKA Georg "the clueless" Zoellner!

Your shareholders will kick your "behind" when they see the decrease in subscriptions.