Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nerf Denova?

Eddizel
04.19.2012 , 10:10 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
We all know if gear was removed from raids, no one would do the raid at all unless it was completely faceroll.

If you must have a raid all decked out in Rakata before attempting EC storymode, then you have effectively removed the gear carrot from the raid. While some raiders will spend some time in there to see the sights and experience the wonders, that quickly wears off when silly mechanics operate in strange ways - like having 3 lightning spires spawn inside the bombardment shields on the tank bosses.
I am in a fairly hardcore progression guild, I am sure we would do the raids whether they dropped loot or not, it is a different mindset.

That being said, my post was obviously sarcastic. The masses must have loot rained down upon them to remain happy

TheRealCandyMan
04.19.2012 , 10:24 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
Wait, did you just tell people to not try EC until they overgear it?

EC storymode drops Rakata - what's the point of banging your head running storymode if you already have the gear it drops?
EC story mode also drops black hole gear - tier above Rakata.
Member of SuckaFish
Roovin - SniperOhmygerd - PT Ciphas - Marauder Frodo'swaggins - Juggernaut

The Hashtagyolo Legacy

Raeln
04.19.2012 , 10:29 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Codek View Post
If you have the entire raid decked out in rakata then you should probably start thinking about upping the difficulty a bit and shoot for the higher stuff. If they are still wiping hard on the bosses in story mode EC even after say a months release then I got some bad news for that raid.
We actually started directly in HM EC just to see what it was like. Overall, I thought we did fairly well. On our 3rd attempt, we had Toth/Zorn down to 74% or so. Our second raid night, we decided to just go ahead and knock out our story mode quest - since we didn't believe we'd get credit for doing it in HM.

To me, minus a mechanic or two - it didn't really feel that much different. We killed Toth/Zorn but it certainly didn't feel like the step down that I was expecting from hard mode to story mode. As it is, I expect only a handful of raiders to complete storymode EC as it is right now.

Again, if you must have gear only acquired from hardmode EV/KP - then storymode EC seems out of place. I imagine there will be some nerfs to storymode.

Raeln
04.19.2012 , 10:33 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Eddizel View Post
I am in a fairly hardcore progression guild, I am sure we would do the raids whether they dropped loot or not, it is a different mindset.

That being said, my post was obviously sarcastic. The masses must have loot rained down upon them to remain happy
You might. Your Ops group might. It is highly unlikely though. From my experience, when the raid membership feels there is nothing left for them to "win" from the boss dying, they stop showing up.

I'll use my own ops group as an example here: we're often 1 DPS short for some strange reason. We have the numbers but for some reason that 8th spot is so hard to get a dedicated person to show up for. Nonetheless, for the last few weeks, our ops group repeatedly voted to try to recruit someone to continue doing hardmodes rather than raid normals for little gain. We have almost everything we could possibly want from normals - the same applies to most raiders, they are not going to continually expend the time, effort and repair costs to do "difficult" content for little gain.

I'm sure your ops group is the unique snowflake among all ops groups but that is how it has been in my decade of MMO / raiding experience.

Raeln
04.19.2012 , 10:35 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealCandyMan View Post
EC story mode also drops black hole gear - tier above Rakata.
Storymode drops black hole commendations. The last boss reportedly drops a piece of Black hole but that hardly equates to being able to let on like someone is going to get geared out in Black Hole gear by doing storymode.

Realistically, you're going to get a handful of BH commendations and a truckload of Rakata pieces that only your companions need if you were doing EV/KP hardmodes.

Shingle
04.20.2012 , 03:30 PM | #126
I actually really like the difficulty to be honest. It took us a few attempts on story mode but we did it in the end. The first was tricky for us to do too, but once you get the hang of it, its fairly simple. When we did it the second time a week later, we downed them first time no problem.

The difficulty is what made it fun and you get far more satisfaction when you down a boss.

Please DO NOT nerf this!! It is nice to see that something is actually a challenge. I'm really looking forward to doing it on Hard.

Akumati
04.21.2012 , 01:51 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by stiksen View Post
well we are republic and 90% of our healers are sages and they just got nerfed abit
Doesnt matter. Sorc/Sager healers are still the most powerful healers for PVE. With the new damage/healing meters, it's easy to prove too.

in a 16man, sorcs are the clear winners due to their AOE heal. In 8mans, if you ensure you have at least a group of 4 people for your AOE heal, you can beat operatives every time. The funny thing is, a sorc/sage's "oh shyt" button is our bubbles which dont show up on healing meters. Even without my absorption counting as healing, I'm still beating operatives in healing done

Akumati
04.21.2012 , 01:55 PM | #128
I really hope they don't nerf it. It really isn't too bad if you have a good group of geared/somewhat skilled players. My first night there, we did it on 16 man and it was a lot harder than the 8 man version. The second week there, we 1 shot every boss on 8man and i don't think we had more than 1 death the entire run.

Learn the mechanics and it's simple. The hard modes are also tuned well. Took my guild about 1 night of attempts per boss to kill so far. Bioware did a good job with this new operation.

_Zorth_
04.21.2012 , 02:01 PM | #129
Working as intended
The Red Eclipse
Best Player World Wide
..Greedo shot first

krinaman
04.21.2012 , 02:07 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Akumati View Post
Learn the mechanics and it's simple.
Beyond gear and knowing the mechanics of your class learning the mechanics of the raid is the only challange of a raid.

You basically just said, get the raid on farm and then it's easy.

The question is how hard should learning the mechanics be, particularly on a story mode raid.