Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FPS Issues

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 02:45 PM | #1
Been having frame rate dropping issues ever since 1.1 but it has only gotten progressively worse throughout 1.2

As instructed by the 3 customer service reps I've talked to they have tried to get the game back to a playable state.
Issue: Frame rate drops from 50 (staying still) to 3-6 when playing any warzone/flashpoint/operation or basically any fight.

DXDIAG Report:
Spoiler

Fixes I've tired (both instructed from Customer service reps and various posts found on the forums):
Turning graphic settings from very low to high back to very low to ensure the settings took. - No success
Using the repair tool - No success
Using the following settings on my NVIDIA Graphics card for SWTOR.exe - No success
Spoiler

Opening the folder that contains the launcher.exe and swtor retail client .exe and using the following settings - No success
Spoiler

Uninstalling current video drivers, reboot to safe mode, use drive sweeper, then reinstall newest driver - No success
Reinstall SWTOR - No success
Downloading 3rd party software was my last attempt to kill all unnecessary process's in the background. - No success

This problem is only encountered in SWTOR. Any other game I load (Call of Duty MW3, Battlefield3, Skryim, DC Universe Online, World of Warcraft) does not suffer frame rate drops during game play.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated. I really wish to continue my subscription to SWTOR but if the game remains at an unplayable state for me then I will be forced to cancel it.
Been using the R2D2 notification ringtone since 2004

Drength
04.18.2012 , 03:44 PM | #2
If I remember correctly, "Character Texture Atlasing" and "Visible Character Limit" were added with 1.2. If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning those down to low to see if there is any improvement...make sure shadows are off too. I had to do as much to get it working on my laptop after 1.2 came out.

Roalmo
04.18.2012 , 04:01 PM | #3
Well for most MMO's these days...

You need 3.0+ gig on your cores, not 8 cores 2.2, or 6 at 2.6, or 4 at 2.8, you need a base of 3gig on 2 at least.

You need a separate graphic card, no on-board graphic card.. 260GTX+ of nvidia products(ATI/AMD does not play well with SWTOR for some reason on a significant number of computers).

And the majority of laptops will not play the game well.

The above is relevant to a significant percent of the players.. not all but a significant percent.

Again there are some guys with "golden" rigs that violate the above... but again for a significant number if you follow the above golden rules, you will be golden.

RamathRS
04.18.2012 , 04:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Well for most MMO's these days...

You need 3.0+ gig on your cores, not 8 cores 2.2, or 6 at 2.6, or 4 at 2.8, you need a base of 3gig on 2 at least.

You need a separate graphic card, no on-board graphic card.. 260GTX+ of nvidia products(ATI/AMD does not play well with SWTOR for some reason on a significant number of computers).

And the majority of laptops will not play the game well.

The above is relevant to a significant percent of the players.. not all but a significant percent.

Again there are some guys with "golden" rigs that violate the above... but again for a significant number if you follow the above golden rules, you will be golden.
While this is probably true, this is NOT what their system requirements say. This is NOT what they said during development. I'm not pointing fingers at you, but rather stating that their game isn't running nearly as smooth as it should on the machines many people have.

They made a point of making SWTOR playable on most machines, not just the "uber-elite" Skynet Home Edition models.

My machine is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination, and it still has crap FPS issues. It still has bad memory leaks. I turn around and play other new games with twice the stress load and it runs as smooth as silk.

The fact that top end Radeon cards are having issues is a problem that needs to be fixed and addressed.

Drength
04.18.2012 , 04:32 PM | #5
I only had to turn down a couple of settings from max to get it to run with more than adequate fps on my laptop @2.3GHz...But it does run much better on my desktop @3.9

As to the original post:
I looked up your video card. It is just a hair above the minimum to run the game so I imagine even with all the graphics settings set all the way down your fps will be lackluster at best. If you could swing it, a discrete graphics card would likely help a lot.

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 07:18 PM | #6
Thanks for all the replies, but I have SWTOR running on my high performance graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 425M. So you guys are saying that is not enough to be able to play this game at the very low settings?

And yes I did try this and still nothing thank you though.
Quote:
If I remember correctly, "Character Texture Atlasing" and "Visible Character Limit" were added with 1.2. If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning those down to low to see if there is any improvement...make sure shadows are off too. I had to do as much to get it working on my laptop after 1.2 came out.

HeavensHell
04.18.2012 , 08:21 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Victoris View Post
Thanks for all the replies, but I have SWTOR running on my high performance graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 425M. So you guys are saying that is not enough to be able to play this game at the very low settings?

And yes I did try this and still nothing thank you though.

The 425M is pretty weak you can theoretically play TOR on medium at max with about 40 to 50 fps at max with shadows and bloom off. Your processor fine you just have a mid range mobile graphic chip that is not really meant for gaming .

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 08:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensHell View Post
The 425M is pretty weak you can theoretically play TOR on medium at max with about 40 to 50 fps at max with shadows and bloom off. Your processor fine you just have a mid range mobile graphic chip that is not really meant for gaming .
Any recommendations for an upgrade for my laptops graphic card?

BTW thanks for all the replies everyone's been really helpful.

Romiz
04.18.2012 , 09:15 PM | #9
error see next.

If only we could delete our post

Romiz
04.18.2012 , 09:15 PM | #10
OP you video system does not meet games system requirements which is the problem. In a way lucky it ran at all.

Your system has Intel HD 3000 and 64 MB dedicated memory. Sadly with that laptop there is no upgrade options for video. Reason it has no video card the CPU is the GPU also.

Quote:
Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only)
Internet connection required to play.
OP is that the MSI FX603 laptop? Only ask since MSI laptops with I5 have a video card in them too.