Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

Dayshadow
04.18.2012 , 01:31 PM | #71
EQ1 is still up and running.

Some of them eventually grow old and die.. some are immortal vampires.
(▀▀▀▀!(Θ)!▀▀▀▀!!(████████████████████)

Neothanos
04.18.2012 , 01:32 PM | #72
I dont think they will pull the plug so soon even if it declinesmore it will take years to reaaly see it end i belive. But a declining player base will threaten future content and its quality.

Remenber this is probably one the most expensives games ever created if not THE most . And it has a lot of problems(understatement of the year).

notebene
04.18.2012 , 01:45 PM | #73
Micro-level arguments aside, at a 'macro' level, it's about the journey, not the destination. Better to have loved and lost and all that. Someone in another post said it a bit more elegantly (and I believe there's some Shakespeare in there somewhere):

Living is the time between when you are born and you pass on.
Dying is the time between when you are born and you pass on.

Or something to that effect. It's all about perspective. The idea with any game is to find something fun and play it. I have 'never' understood the mentality where someone looks at an MMO they enjoy (this doesn't seem to apply to other games), and then stand there paralyzed staring at it for fear of 'wasting time' doing things in the game, only to find out a lot of people are leaving or the guild is disbanding or whatever.

If you enjoy the game, play it, nothing is wasted if you are having fun. What you do 'today' to have fun, no one can take that away from you, it already happened.

Live Long and Rotate! (Star Trek/Happy Days Mash-Up)
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.

LizardSF
04.18.2012 , 01:57 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by amantheil View Post
I don't get all the hand-wringing. Who cares whether the game will be around 10 years from now?

If you're having fun, keep playing. Once it's not fun anymore, stop playing.
Wait... so.... what you're saying is... if i do something for entertainment, and it's entertaining, I should keep doing it... and if it stops being entertaining, I should stop doing it?

This is madness! Sheer, unadulterated, madness!

The way in which I pretend to be a magic elf in fairyland... sorry, a magic knight in outer space... is the sole thing which defines my entire existence! Anyone who likes to play make believe differently from me is my mortal enemy (and is stupid, wrong, and probably murders kittens). You... you can't just play a game while it's fun, then maybe stop and play something else, then maybe come back, or, even worse, like two different games, or want to do different things at different times. That's simply not possible. Not at all. There can be only one game which is absolutely perfect and everyone should play, and all the other games are totally stupid and they're all going to die yesterday!

Please, stop posting these insane, incomprehensible, ideas!

PS: To the morons in the audience whose distant ancestors probably got outraged by how J. Swift advocated killing babies (and who probably think Colbert is a real conservative and that Onion articles are real news), the above was sarcasm. Sar-cas-m. Google it, or, as a particularly stupid poster in this thread might say, "goggle it".
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Ansultares
04.18.2012 , 02:07 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Blistrich View Post
See what I mean?

Experience.

Good post.
Running forever and actually receiving content updates are two totally different things. You can still play WAR, but it's been update-less for what, almost two years now?

Every developer is different; the most applicable evidence we have as to what might happen to TOR is WAR. You're fooling yourself if you think that can't happen here, albeit on a longer timescale (say, 18 months instead of 12).

Quote: Originally Posted by IGX_ View Post
People are so negative nowadays, as well as impatient.
I wish I could go back in time and have them remove really awful features like Advanced Quest Tracker and those damnable red shields they put everywhere as if with childish glee.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
First off, BioWare has stated, DE himself specifically has stated that subs haven't changed, just how how many concurrent users are on at any particular time. Please show some undisputable, ironclad, statistical facts that the game is dying? The marketwatch stuff you posted is ancient news. Conjecture isn't going to get you anywhere and EALouse is full of crap because the tripe he spewed has been disputed time and time again.
No one will give you real numbers.

Just look at the promotions this month; that upcoming quarterly report will be padded by how many bought 1-month subscribers interested in a free month or whatever other garbage they were offering for re-subscribing?

Sycoskater
04.18.2012 , 02:14 PM | #76
BioWare has openly stated, before the release of this game, that they will need 500,000 active subscribers in order to make a profit from this game. Stating something like that means that 500k is the minimum in order to keep EA under their feet, and their pockets full. Since this game has over 1.7mil subscribers, who are active.. I don't see it going bye bye anytime soon
Curaja: Mercenary (Healer) Lvl. 40 - The Constant
"And that's the way the cookie crumbles!"

Catch_TwentyTwo
04.18.2012 , 02:15 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
A month ago i would have said no, then i went to a few servers to try to find one with a decent pop to reroll on and now im really afraid for this game, and if they dont fix most of this by the time gw2 comes out its going to get ugly, and i would not put it past EA to pull the plug on a game early.

First they need to suck it up and fix the server pops, then they need to fix and add in all the things they have been refusing to add in because of a very vocal minority like LFG tool, macros, dual specs to name a few, we have seen what happens to the game when bioware listens to this vocal minority so its time for a change.
I seem to remember a question being asked way, way back, and the initial investment case was based on at least a 3 - 5 year run. That's pretty standard I would say for a Business case.

In reality I think they would like at least a 10 year run, longer if they can upgrade the hardware and background systems inflight.
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

kirorx
04.18.2012 , 06:42 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
EQ1 is still up and running.

Some of them eventually grow old and die.. some are immortal vampires.
Some do seem to live on but this game cant flounder around and just make a nice little profit and stay a float.

The reason, its Star Wars.

Games like WOW or Everquest are products owned by the respective companies, since Bioware does not own Starwars the rules are different.

If WOW sank to low subs, Blizzard could keep that game going if THEY wanted to. If Biowares loses subs, it will be up to LA if they want to renew the contract.

I dont see this game going anywhere for several years, but "always in motion is the future"".

unseenmaji
04.18.2012 , 06:49 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Sycoskater View Post
BioWare has openly stated, before the release of this game, that they will need 500,000 active subscribers in order to make a profit from this game. Stating something like that means that 500k is the minimum in order to keep EA under their feet, and their pockets full. Since this game has over 1.7mil subscribers, who are active.. I don't see it going bye bye anytime soon
You realise that is if those people hang around for over a year to even make back what they spent. It doesnt have 1.7million subs.