Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Framework Has Been Laid - What Should BioWare Do With It?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Framework Has Been Laid - What Should BioWare Do With It?

TalkingDinosaur
04.15.2012 , 01:43 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
So SW:TOR wasn't the MMO equivalent of the Second Coming. It didn't match the very specific vision of the game you had in your head when it was announced. Once you can get over that, you'll begin to appreciate it for what it is and contribute in a rational manner.

Or, more likely, you can head on over to the "Next Big Thing," get disappointed by that, flame their forums for a few months and move on to the "Nexter Big Thing," repeat the process with the "Nextest Big Thing" and so on.
I love you.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

CelCawdro
04.15.2012 , 01:59 PM | #32
A thought occurs - given that BioWare has a lot of old Mythic employees, I'd love to see a system like WAR's trophies. You would unlock these for certain accomplishments (for example, a medal for killing 1000 Dark Elves in PvP) and then equip that aesthetically on your gear (you can choose shoulder, belt, etc.).

The class emotes are already a similar concept. It would be great to see additional distinguishing and visible features on your alts demonstrating the feats of your legacy.

CelCawdro
04.15.2012 , 03:59 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
Felt this deserved a separate thread.

one idea that's been floating in the back of my head is having the ability to have your "Nemesis" progression impact yours. As an example, if your nemesis has finished a planet before you, there are more mobs/heavier presence of your nemesis' fraction on the planet. or a critical quest are id developed with the bulk of the battle in favor of whoever is ahead.

Or allowing certain zones to trigger PvP for you and your nemesis if your in the same planet together. sort of a friendly competition/fight for the planet kind of deal.

...or how about class bonuses? if you're nemesis is a consular, as an example, you get +5% damage to NPC's that fit that archetype (not too hard to tell with NPC's...they use very signature moves).

or lock in main (not class, but planet) quest lines with a final "battle' between you and your nemesis instead of the final "boss" NPC. victor gets cutscene A (similar to what you'd get if you beat the boss in the same situation), loser gets cutscene B (you get away in the nick of time...story still carries out, but with a slightly different end result.)

Edit: just thought of an easy end quest Option to the one above. Victor gets double exp+ comms reward, loser gets less exp and comms. end cutscene is victoe about to win, freak situation and loser pulls out and the both escape in the chaos. finish quest chain with traditional cut scenes.

yeah that last one is a big stretch (too much quest and story rewriting overall). but just brainstorming ideas. But even with minor adjustments (like the bonus damage, or dual open PvP zones for just you and your Nemesis) it would make it an interesting process. Imaging your nemesis waiting for you as you fly into the dune sea on Tatooine...laying in wait to ambush you because he heard you were on the planet as well...
Hm. I enjoyed the system in CO, but given how linear and narrative-driven the class stories are, that might be very difficult to pull off.

CelCawdro
04.16.2012 , 04:37 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
Listen to more feedback on the PTS. Let people import level 50 characters to the PTS so they can test things better.

Oh, did I mention listen to their community?
From what I've observed, they've been taking player feedback into account quite well. Long-term, of course. I'm very thankful to see a lack of reaction to the usual kneejerk flaming that goes on whenever anything changes.

Elyx
04.16.2012 , 07:38 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Furoo View Post
Don't come and tell me that most people don't like to have choices.

Also, I asked OP because I wanted someone to not give me a ******* answer.
(Such as pulling statistic about what players want out of your butt)
Of course people want choices. but your generalizing now to try and make your point.

And you again totally missed to point of my post. The OP did not ask you to come in here and answer his question of "how to make the legendary system" or even the game in general better by asking something like "tell me why I didn't get my SWG reincarnation!" because that's what you did.

SWG peak in 2003-2004 was 300k
SWtOR hit 2m subs a month ago
WoW's peak was 12m in 2009, and hit it again in 2011

there's some numbers for ya. Source. No offense, I have friends that loved that game, And there are times I wish I could have tried it, but again...SWG fans are a minority.

And you didn't ask for "more choices". You challenged the OP Like it was his fault that you didn't get your SWG ver. 2.

your words were, "Can anyone answer me why we weren't given SWG2".

Not, "i would change the system by giving us more choices. here's how."

Se the difference? second comment was constructive and moved the conversation in a beneficial direction, and discussed "choices". first comment was whining. Hence my comment

there are plenty of threads that you can happily commiserate on the loss of SWG here...this doesn't need to be one of them.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

MWidowmaker
04.16.2012 , 11:14 PM | #36
features i would like to see eventually:

being able to use more than 1 companion for your story quests
dialogue and interactions between your companions (start with on the ship, then to what i said above... like other BioWare games)
extending your story -this is actually the most important thing to me since its why i enjoy the game
a feature to design and implement your own quests for your legacy (i.e. have one member of your legacy give legacy related quests to other members, even cross faction)-this might be tricky if it is even possible

Darka
04.16.2012 , 11:31 PM | #37
Legacy wise I was hoping to see more species, rather then just more of the same species for all the classes. I originally felt all species ( excluding Pureblood) could have been able to be played all factions all classes regardless.

Ithorians and other "alien" species would have been nice.

cashogy
04.16.2012 , 11:35 PM | #38
if they want to make legacy more exciting, they should start by lowering the credit costs. the entire legacy system is a massive credit sink, but there is no reason to price legacy stuff so stupidly high.

make it more accessible to the average player. i will likely never buy anything from the legacy system because of the credit costs. if im going to spend 1mil + on something, i would like it to go towards improving the performance of my character, not just some stupid trinket

CelCawdro
04.16.2012 , 11:38 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
Legacy wise I was hoping to see more species, rather then just more of the same species for all the classes. I originally felt all species ( excluding Pureblood) could have been able to be played all factions all classes regardless.

Ithorians and other "alien" species would have been nice.
I have a Republic Pureblood and I'm proud of it. Two, actually. My main was a Light-side Sith Pureblood. The two Republic Purebloods are his sons who he smuggled into the Republic such that his enemies would not use them against him. One accepted the role and is another Light-side Jedi Knight. The other is a Dark-side Smuggler who feels his father robbed him of the opportunity to excel in the Empire and has thus embraced a reckless lifestyle.

I'm not saying it makes the most sense of all combinations. But it is certainly justifiable. Unfortunately, most do it for the "lol i am darkside sith on republic lolol"-effect.

That being said I was hoping to see the same as far as species selection goes. While something like Ithorian may be awhile off, species with "regular" sized humanoid body types, such as Kel Dor, Nautolan and Rodian, wouldn't be too far-fetched.

JusticeThorne
04.17.2012 , 11:54 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
*snip*
one idea that's been floating in the back of my head is having the ability to have your "Nemesis" progression impact yours. As an example, if your nemesis has finished a planet before you, there are more mobs/heavier presence of your nemesis' fraction on the planet. or a critical quest are id developed with the bulk of the battle in favor of whoever is ahead.
*snip*
OP, great idea for a constructive post! I applaud.

Addressing the original question, I'd like to see the Fourth Pillar affected by Legacy. I like where Elyx is going with the idea of a nemesis' progression impacting yours. Some of my ideas will seem similar, but I will, instead, try to tie them to a single account to fit the current Legacy system.

The following are brainstormed ideas to this end (there's probably some holes in the ideas; feel free to dissect). Things like "If I finish a planet with 1 char, that char's Ally gets the planet in a completely different state," which, while awesome, sound like pretty high development cost. So hopefully these ideas fall under the more "sane" category (but I'm no dev, so maybe they're far harder than I think!).

----------
1) Main planet quest chain alterations

If you have an Ally finish a planet's main quest chain before you, occasionally your dialogue choices could be altered. This could be as simple as the main chain quest giver changing his tone, or it could add slight alterations to quest requirements.

Example:
Instead of "Toss these 5 grenades down pipes as presents to the rakghouls!" you might hear solo "We had a tough <insert ally class> roll through here and clean up the rakghouls, but just to be safe, toss this 1 grenade down the pipes and that should be enough."

----------
2) Ordering "hits" on a cross-faction alt or on a Rival

Within your Legacy, a char can proc an NPC ambush on someone from the other faction or on someone tabbed as a Rival.

The mechanic could be: the next time the enemy character enters a class quest (one that doesn't auto-jump to dialogue), an aggressive group of mobs decloaks. The mobs could call out something like "Someone in the Republic/Empire wants your head!"

The reward could be planet commendations off the corpses; since you can farm those with Heroics an extra one or two wouldn't be overpowered. Maybe limit "hits" to once per day to avoid abuse (e.g. someone constantly restarting a class quest with a new "hit" in order to farm).

----------
3) "Relation" and "Attitude" networks

I'd like to see two types of node networks overlaid on top of one another. The first is the relationship as we have now. The 2nd would be a network in which you could tie a line from every character to every other one showing mood (distrust/neutral/trust). Maybe only have these 7 lines show up for 1 char at a time as you click on him/her to avoid clutter.

(With this addition, I might change the current tree's selection of "ally" and "rival" to simply "acquiantance" because the Attitude network would capture the "mood" of the connection.)

Things I'd do with this Attitude network:

3a) Add a small bonus to lightside point accumulation that scales with the number of light-sided alts that are considered "trusted" and the number of dark-sided alts that are "distrusted." (Invert this for dark-siders.)

3b) Add a small bonus to companion affection where it might make sense. E.g. If a consular "trusts" any other Jedi alt, perhaps that consular gets a bonus to Qyzen's affection gains.

----------
4) "Fill Codex entry" quests

If you fully complete the Codex of a planet on a character (or two?), an alt can send out companions to grant a random Codex entry of that same planet. Gate these quests to be allowed once every few days or once a week. The goal would be provide a small perk of filling out the odds and ends in a not-quite-complete alt's Codex. Perhaps limit this to Bestiary, Lore, and Location entries; obviously don't include Datacrons.