Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No free respec for Combat Medics???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
No free respec for Combat Medics???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

amantheil
04.16.2012 , 05:04 PM | #41
(delete)

Aaoogaa
04.16.2012 , 05:26 PM | #42
I do hope that he recieved a warning from the moderators for calling RuQu a troll.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

amantheil
04.16.2012 , 07:47 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post

The only fair, honest, and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on technical necessity.

IMO, the only fair, honest, and logical way is to give EVERYONE a free respec when you make these many changes. At the very least, even if you only reset talent trees for classes that had their structure changed, at least give them the option of getting a free respec and resetting the cost escalation if they already used one during the week.

EDIT: I meant to say "even if you only reset talent trees for classes that had their structure changed, give the other classes the option of getting a free respec".

APeckenpaugh
04.16.2012 , 08:59 PM | #44 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by HotLeadSingerGuy View Post
Then explain why Shadows got a re-skill lol.
The "you get a free respec" system is automated. It happens when skill tree structure changes. We don't do it by hand. If Shadows got a free respec, then there's a bug in the system and we'll investigate. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Chuck_Diesel View Post
Wow, that was so unwarranted. RuQu is one of the most mature, concise posters on the SWTOR forums. A conversation about free respecs is perhaps not the most critical discussion in the world, but I really don't understand where this condescending response is coming from.
Sorry you feel that way. I wasn't trying to be mean. I answered RuQu's real questions and had some fun with his "not real" question:

Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
Perhaps you felt there was no point refunding Commando skill points because you realize that there is no point playing a Commando in 1.2?
Maybe "/facepalm" would have been more appropriate?

ImariKurumi
04.16.2012 , 09:14 PM | #45
They can keep the damn free re-spec, the free 1 month sub for lvl 50s and the free 1 day compensation due to server downtime, just gimme back my pre 1.2 Commando Medic!!!

Onomaus
04.16.2012 , 09:17 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by amantheil View Post
IMO, the only fair, honest, and logical way is to give EVERYONE a free respec when you make these many changes. At the very least, even if you only reset talent trees for classes that had their structure changed, at least give them the option of getting a free respec and resetting the cost escalation if they already used one during the week.
DUH! You're hired!

Smaltie
04.16.2012 , 09:51 PM | #47
Out of all the posts I've read on the forum today, and I've read a fair few... this is by far the most petty.

The reason given makes perfect sense, classes got talent respecs so that you could LOG ONTO YOUR CHARACTER, they couldn't simply set the cost to 0 and let you toggle a respec as you'd have points in a skill you couldn't possibly get, talents were moved to other trees and re-designed.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've respec'd 0-1 time in the week leading up to 1.2, a cost of 0 credits or less then 2k, that's terrible.

After reading the OPs post and subsequent posts I wonder why you've not un-subbed yet, you don't seem to get any enjoyment out of the game, pre or post patch.

So much BW bashing, if it's this bad go play AoC.
Sith Sorcerer:- 50 - Mystical
Sith Marauder:- 50 - Danger

SuperGrunt
04.17.2012 , 12:19 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Applejam View Post
This thread is unbelievably petty.

Talent resets were given because not doing so would cause someone to have 40 or 39 or whatever points rather than the appropriate 41. This is a very common practice in MMOs when talent trees are restructured. It has nothing to do with how much these structural changes affect the gameplay of that class (i.e. Focus/Rage trees for knight/warrior had one talent removed but become baseline. For someone with that talent already, there would be no change, but without a reset they'd be missing a point.)

Also respecs are cheap.

Please realize that commandos have bigger problems and don't make CS annoyed over useless stuff like this.
Actually, in my experience in both SWG, and in WoW, if any changes happened to your profession/class respectively you got a free skill reset.

I think the same thing happened with Rift, but I only played so much of it, and don't really recall all that well if it did happen while I was active in it.

In Eve Online, whenever a skill you had was eliminated, or combined with another, you got the points that you trained into that skill refunded.

You may see this as useless stuff, but when a skill tree is "rebalanced" it is industry standard practice to refund all skill points.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

SuperGrunt
04.17.2012 , 12:25 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post
The only fair, honest, and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on technical necessity.
Actually the only fair, honest and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on if there was a change that affected a skill tree talent, just like every other MMO company does.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

rjkishida
04.17.2012 , 01:39 PM | #50
Gut a class, severely change the mechanics of several abilities, no free respec = screwed.

Anytime you make major changes to a classes mechanics you should give players the option of chosing a different path than previously taken. Did the Mercs/Commandos ask you to make these changes? The answer would be no. Did you ask if you could make the changes? The answer would be no. Without prior consent, I do not see any logic in NOT allowing players to change how they allocated their skill points.

On an entirely cynical note, I made a BH Merc before the patch. I knew they would gut Merc healing since I read the patch notes and could not comprehend why they were making such massive changes to the healing ability of Merc/Commando. So I spec'd into one of the DPS trees like Bioware seems to want you to anyway. In this case foresight prevented a lot of aggravation.