Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS and Armor

Excid
04.13.2012 , 11:32 AM | #1
So my guild ran through NM KP last night to collect the black hole badges prior to do the new raid this weekend. We found a great damage calculator to use called MOX. It appears to work perfectly well. So we found an interesting situation. Most classes were sitting around 1400 dps including myself on my sniper (not counting aoe fights). However, the powertech in our group was hitting 1700 to 1800 dps (think the 1800 was on an aoe fight though).

So... we started to look at why and how he was so high. Most of his dmg was done from his passive dot (no clue name) and almost all his dmg mitigates armor. Everybody else topping out around 1400+ was using abilities that are negated by armor. So... assuming nothing is changed, this means everyone who wants to capitalize on the current situation should invest in a spec that can negate as much armor passively as possible. I'll be playing around with a lethality/engineering build since poisons and ex probe goes through armor.

Anyone else witness this yesterday?

Excid
04.13.2012 , 01:58 PM | #2
Nobody? Anybody? Everybody? Someone had to do something with damage meters last night.

Excid
04.13.2012 , 10:13 PM | #3
Since no one else posted, I was able to play around with my dmg and the results after practicing are...

Full Marks: avg 1150 solo dmg on dummy (1300-1400) in raid.
Mark/Eng: avg 1150 solo dmg on dummy
Full Lethality: 1350 avg while messing up the rotation. 30% of my dmg was from passive poison dmg (ignores armor).

So... dps specs should look deep into specs that bring a constant passive dmg that ignores armor if they have one. Huge dps increase in practice.

KBSIP
04.14.2012 , 12:58 AM | #4
I'm assuming your powertech was a pyrotech, as their DoT would be combustible gas cylinder (CGC), an elemental DoT that is thus not mitigated by armor.

The other key abilities of their rotation, flame burst (elemental), and railshot (can be talented to pierce most armor), along with an occasional rocket punch (can be mitigated but procs a railshot), their DPS is mostly armor proof. This is to make up for the fact that PT as a class has limited utility and no long term crowd control or stealth mechanic.

EDIT:
Numbers on our PT forum found CGC DoT accounts for 22.1% of DPS in warzones, may be similar numbers or greater in ops.

pure_laced
04.14.2012 , 09:41 AM | #5
If only my guild had another tank, I have been wanting to try out dps for some time.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter