Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag switches and SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Lag switches and SWTOR

cuteypie
04.06.2012 , 11:40 PM | #1
Recently i've started to notice some very odd "features" when fighting other players. Mainly there are two different types of things happening:

1, Someone get the ball in Huttball, runs to top floor and jumps down. Gets stuck flickering just after the last fire for a few seconds then is instantly warped to goal-line and score.

2, I open from stealth or stunn a person on the run. The person is in melee range but i still get out of range message. 1-2 secs later the person is either warped and rubberbanding back and forth or just warped 10 meters away.

To my prior experience all MMO's had a built in protection against lagg hacks. This was achieved by punishing the person with lagg by freezing them in place and then rubberbanding them back there after lagg was over.

My questions are have others noticed this behaviour and can it be reproduced? Or is it just poor network coding of the game?

Or is the case that SWTOR uses same network coding as console fps's. Who is nolonger punishing the lagged character but instead everyone else. And how would you then counter behaviour like this?

MMOgamer
04.06.2012 , 11:50 PM | #2
I have noticed that alot in huttball where they drop down and instantly are out of range of melee and somehow end up in the goal line. Not sure if this is a lag switch or server lag or what but it might have to do with falling from that ledge with force speed on (usually only see this happen with force speed users but could be a coincedence).

HoosierDuke
04.06.2012 , 11:50 PM | #3
I've seen that

AND

Ability lag like we had at release ... not to the same frequency, but noticeable enough ... pressing an ability, and watching the GCD and CD kick in 2-3 seconds later.

Since Tuesday's patch.

Ortof
04.07.2012 , 12:16 AM | #4
Seen similar stuff just recently pop up like this and yes in Hutball. Someones running from the first fire trap and then appears past the second. Guy mysteriously fly's sideways to another ramp from the floor without anyone being there (if it were grapple they would come out of stealth, not to mention their entire team was on the other side of the midpoint).

And yes, all the while flickering "all of a sudden". I can say though I have not had it happen to me even though I have been in the same areas/circumstances as others. /shrug

HelinCarnate
04.07.2012 , 01:53 AM | #5
So if people are using lag switches and they are working, why do you only see it in huttball? Shouldnt you also see people without stealth suddenly warp from one area to behind the turret control? Or have people appear like they are going to the left door alone, turn right, studder and appear behind you planting a bomb? Could it be just a bad engine combined with actual lag?
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

Rotanartlu
04.07.2012 , 02:18 AM | #6
This was one of the first (of many) things I was accused of using. I assure you its not a lag switch. Its just lag. Happens in all mmo-pvp and in most online games of all sorts. Its no big deal.

Carbonated
04.07.2012 , 02:29 AM | #7
As an aussie I can assure you that this lag on stun happens in every mmo. I notice it on the us servers and the oceanic servers. I can't compare the oceanic to anything because no other mmo has oceanic servers(the one I did play I dont really recall pvping on it) but on the us servers the ping is better and the problem is less then others.

Wow ping for me was 260 in a non congested area, rift was 220, aion I dont recall, warhammer online was i think 250 in warzones, and star wars:tor is 187.

I seem to notice the stun lag alot more on the oceanic server then the us but it is hard to say what other peoples pings are as they could be in one of the asian countries or something.
I used to be Part of the community But the aussie dollar is strong with this one.

Zimith
04.13.2012 , 11:08 PM | #8
"Recently i've started to notice some very odd "features" when fighting other players. Mainly there are two different types of things happening:

1, Someone get the ball in Huttball, runs to top floor and jumps down. Gets stuck flickering just after the last fire for a few seconds then is instantly warped to goal-line and score"

This is exactly what I was trying too explain to someone before, That ALWAYS seems too happen.