Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server downtime - suggestion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Server downtime - suggestion

DPCummerbund
04.13.2012 , 11:27 AM | #1
I know a lot of people have been complaining about the server downtime over the last few days, and a lot of people have expressed their frustration here. I know that some of these problems were unanticipated, but I'd like to make a suggestion.

I started the free trial last weekend, and was so hooked I signed up as soon as my trial was over. However, I've hardly been able to play it due to the 1.2 upgrade, last night's patch, and now all the downtime today. I'm sure that if the free trial had any effect on the subscriber base, all the new subscribers are feeling the same. From my experience with MMOs, patches can sometimes cause problems. In the future, I think the monthly free trials ought to be scheduled for the weekend AFTER a patch, rather than the weekend BEFORE a patch.

This does two things. One, brand-new players like me are probably wondering how often this happens, and if we've made a huge mistake. Making sure your game is up-to-date before welcoming new subscribers is better from a customer's perspective.

Secondly, from a player's perspective, I feel like I just started learning this game, and now many things have changed - even someone who has only played for a few hours has noticed. Even if all the patches had gone smoothly, it's disquieting to see things change on you from the very first screen when you're still trying to learn the game.

In conclusion, if you're going to have free trials or other big pushes to get customers playing, do your mods before you get people hooked in, not after.

AesirWarrior
04.13.2012 , 11:33 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Secondly, from a player's perspective, I feel like I just started learning this game, and now many things have changed - even someone who has only played for a few hours has noticed. Even if all the patches had gone smoothly, it's disquieting to see things change on you from the very first screen when you're still trying to learn the game.

In conclusion, if you're going to have free trials or other big pushes to get customers playing, do your mods before you get people hooked in, not after.
k...just sayin' i do agree that maybe the timing of the free weekend right before a major patch isn't exactly the greatest idea, always, but this downtime is something that happens with ALL mmos...especially considering this one's only been out 5 months on the market...it's something to be expected, also, when dropping that kind of a major change...based on the quote above, you could have spent a little more time and done the research to realise the change was coming...that one's on you...but i do agree to the first part

please just be patient...we all have to wait, just like you...and they're givin' a free day in response to the amount of downtime today, also researchable

DPCummerbund
04.13.2012 , 11:45 AM | #3
Yes, I did know that the 1.2 changes were coming when I started the free trial - but there was nothing I could do about it. My only alternative was to not try the free weekend at all.

And yeah, I know this happens sometimes with MMOs. I've played WoW and LoTRO, and it's happened with both of them. Patches get pushed back, take longer, and need fixing. Last night's patch was (I think) originally supposed to start at 1:00 AM (EDT), then 3:00 AM, then 7:00 AM. Knowing that those times were probably going to move, I just kept playing, knowing that they would warn me when it was actually going to happen - many noobs might not have bothered playing at all after hearing the 1:00 AM time.

I'm not trying to cause a problem or complain unnecessarily - these things happen. I just think it's better to plan on it than to ignore it. I think the person who schedules the free trials probably doesn't talk to the person who schedules the patches. I'm simply suggesting that they SHOULD. It's a simple, easy fix that wouldn't cost Bioware anything.

DPCummerbund
04.13.2012 , 12:05 PM | #4
And two more things just to clarify:

1) I'm not trying to complain that Bioware owes us anything. As others have mentioned, losing one day costs a quarter. I heard they're giving us a free day - great. Thank you. I still think my "fix" is better - it's always better to keep people from being dissatisfied than to fix the problem later.

2) I still think this is a GREAT game. I've read lots of threads here from people who are screaming about the epic tragedy that their lives have become over this. I'm not one of them. I've had more fun with this game in one week than I ever had in months or years with other games. It's well worth what I'm paying for it. Even with today's issues, I still love it and will tell everyone I know what a great game this is.