Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female's being called sir..??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Female's being called sir..??

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.09.2012 , 10:53 AM | #101
In the Military in alot of cases (correct me if I am wrong, I know I have seen it in movies), Female superior officers are still referred to as Sir by lower ranking soldiers.

EDIT It appears from some previous posts that that is a European military tradition, not American.
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

VanorDM
04.09.2012 , 11:28 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinemetu View Post
but I am saying that "lore" is only a justification.
Lore is not a justification. It's the primary reason for doing it the way they did. There are a number of cases where my female smuggler has been called ma'am, or refereed to as her or she.

So the idea that they didn't to it because they are lazy or to save money simply doesn't wash. However the fact that refereeing to everyone as Sir, Lord or Master has been part of the established lore for 20+ years now.

There is no doubt that calling everyone sir saves them a few bucks. But that is not why they did it, because they did do it in some cases, and to do otherwise with troopers and the like would be breaking with Lore. Something Bioware has to be very careful about because they break with lore too much and they get their right to use the IP revoked.

Captain_Zone
04.09.2012 , 12:13 PM | #103
Since quite a few people missed it the first time around, and I don't feel like typing it all out again on my Droid....

Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Ok.... This is how it is in the Star Wars Universe.

Sir: A term of respect in the militaries of both Republic and Empire for a superior officer. It doesn't matter whether that superior officer is male or female. No distinctions are made.

Lord: Term of respect for a Sith of either gender. No distinctions are made. The only time a Sith is termed as "Lady" is if she's married to a Sith Lord. Lady Grathan, for example. She's married to Lord Grathan, so to distinguish her from her husband, she is referred to as Lady. If, however, she had chosen to keep her last name, then she too would be a Lord.

Master: Term if respect and rank within the Jedi Order for either gender. No distinctions are made. In the rare instance of a Jedi/Jedi marriage, and both are of Master rank, they are then referred to as "Master" followed by their First names. Or if the wife doesn't wish to take her husband's last name, they can both still be referred to by Master and their last names.

I can't quote sources here, since I merely observed the practices in the old comics, novels, movies, and ingame. Use deductive reasoning and yes, I actually applied common sense to Star Wars. I know, it's almost futile, but sometimes it DOES make sense.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Braaaiins
04.12.2012 , 11:38 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemina_Ausa View Post
I'm female and was slightly annoyed by it initially, but now I assume its just too much trouble (or costs too much) just to have the VAs say those extra lines for female characters.

I think this is the only answer that makes sense.. short.. sweet.. and to the point.

AshlaBoga
04.12.2012 , 12:02 PM | #105
I was in the CF for 5 years - I'm going back I just want to get my Undergraduate so I can be a commissioned officer - and we often called to women "sir," when not rank. Calling them ma'am was less common.

Elhanan
04.12.2012 , 03:22 PM | #106
Funny; this has been a point of discussion this past season of 'Castle'.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

Mimizuka
04.13.2012 , 12:58 AM | #107
Was in the U.S. Navy, sir was acceptable. It was NOT frowned upon. It is considered universal and no disrespect is meant when said to a female.

SRHornby
04.13.2012 , 05:42 AM | #108
OK, so this isn't just bugging me then.

I'm in the Royal Navy and have been in for numerous years now. All Officers, be it Warrant / Commissioned are called Sir if they are male, or Ma'am if they are female.

The fact that I have to repeatedly call General Garza Sir is down right embarrassing.

If I ever called a female officer Sir, I would expect a good beating

Hell, once I saw a sailor call a female Warrant Officer Sir. It was hilarious seeing him run laps of the base.

I believe that certain Countries call their officers Sir with no distinction on gender...
But no..its still annoying and odd. (Also in Star Trek TNG the Dr is repeatedly called Sir)

Captain_Zone
04.13.2012 , 08:43 AM | #110
Ok, if you have your Forum format set up for 10 posts per page, I have explained the Star Wars lore for calling all Officers "Sir", all Sith "Lord", and all Jedi Masters "Master". I actually reposted it from a few pages back, and it's the 3rd post down on this page if your format is set up the way I described. This is Star Wars, and that's just the way it is. Not going to say it again.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.