Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nerfs for...more fun?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Victros
04.12.2012 , 01:53 PM | #1
From the patch notes, "Grav Round has been rebalanced in order to encourage more active gameplay rotations."

So they nerfed commandos to make them have a rotation that's more fun?

I've seen this kind of logic since EQ. I guess game developers will never learn.

Was there some outcry from the commando community to change their rotation?

amantheil
04.12.2012 , 02:04 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Victros View Post
From the patch notes, "Grav Round has been rebalanced in order to encourage more active gameplay rotations."

So they nerfed commandos to make them have a rotation that's more fun?

I've seen this kind of logic since EQ. I guess game developers will never learn.

Was there some outcry from the commando community to change their rotation?
I've seen people complain that spamming Grav Round is boring (not to mention it has a horrible sound and pathetic looking animation ).

But the outrcry may have been from other classes "I have a complicated rotation and I get the same DPS as some guy who just spams Grav Round over and over!"

Victros
04.12.2012 , 02:06 PM | #3
So add some more useful attacks to the game, to broaden the rotation. Don't take the cheap and easy way out by nerfing the spec's bread and butter attack. That just makes the player feel weaker.

swifferdude
04.12.2012 , 02:06 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by amantheil View Post
I've seen people complain that spamming Grav Round is boring (not to mention it has a horrible sound and pathetic looking animation ).

But the outrcry may have been from other classes "I have a complicated rotation and I get the same DPS as some guy who just spams Grav Round over and over!"
rofl, I toldally agree, the complaint probs wasnt from the commando pop, but from the other classes who are sick of being out classed by grav round/tacer missile spammers lol
POT5 PvP
My Youtube channel: GrassianGaming
I play a variety of classes! Check it out, like, and sub!

ArchangelLBC
04.12.2012 , 02:11 PM | #5
There as apparently an outcry from the members of the PVP community who were mad at Commandos, and Mercenaries, who did nothing but spam grav round in PVP, so I guess this is supposed to encourage us to become a 3-4 button class as opposed to a 1 button class in that one specific arena?

Stupid nerf is stupid though because even a commando with a fully robust rotation was using at least half their GCDs on Grav Round because everything in the gunnery tree is tied to it, and after this change they're STILL gonna do that. My thought is that if they wanted to encourage more active rotations give us a reason to actually use Charged Bolts over Grav Round. Everything in the tree is tied to grav round (whereas only about half of it is tied to Charged Bolts) and Grav Round feels like it averages more (because we all like the color yellow more than the color white).
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Redcorn
04.12.2012 , 02:12 PM | #6
Watching in PVP because there was no way to judge DPS in PVE I found that a gunny did well to be 2nd or 3rd high damage on the Repub side of the house. DPS Guardians and Vanguards do about 1/3 more damage. If we look at the empire side the gunny even falls farther. Guess what? As of patch 1.2 the discrepancy is even worse.

Redcorn
04.12.2012 , 02:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
There as apparently an outcry from the members of the PVP community who were mad at Commandos, and Mercenaries, who did nothing but spam grav round in PVP, so I guess this is supposed to encourage us to become a 3-4 button class as opposed to a 1 button class in that one specific arena?

Stupid nerf is stupid though because even a commando with a fully robust rotation was using at least half their GCDs on Grav Round because everything in the gunnery tree is tied to it, and after this change they're STILL gonna do that. My thought is that if they wanted to encourage more active rotations give us a reason to actually use Charged Bolts over Grav Round. Everything in the tree is tied to grav round (whereas only about half of it is tied to Charged Bolts) and Grav Round feels like it averages more (because we all like the color yellow more than the color white).

I found it extremely funny that my vanguard and sage got their talent points back but my gunny did not. oh well

ZucriyLyhdnamm
04.12.2012 , 02:48 PM | #8
I dummy tested all morning...

Assault, 950 dps average

Gunnery, 1050 dps average

No buffs at all for either, and I'm on the ops dummy ofc so higher vs players and non-bosses... but still.

Not pretty.
A disturbance in the force... Its like thousands of trolls cried out at once, and then were silenced. 12/20/11. Long live SWTOR.
Aridhol Tarlnir the Infernal/Unyielding of Frogdogs, Dark Reaper. For the Republic!

ArchangelLBC
04.12.2012 , 03:04 PM | #9
That seems in line with what snipers were reporting over on the PTS, but how long were you fighting, etc. Need a larger sample size.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

amantheil
04.12.2012 , 03:16 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post

Stupid nerf is stupid though because even a commando with a fully robust rotation was using at least half their GCDs on Grav Round because everything in the gunnery tree is tied to it, and after this change they're STILL gonna do that. My thought is that if they wanted to encourage more active rotations give us a reason to actually use Charged Bolts over Grav Round. Everything in the tree is tied to grav round (whereas only about half of it is tied to Charged Bolts.
Yeah, I agree. If they feel it did too much damage, then fine reduce the damage. But if they felt the rotation relied too heavily on Grav Round, they did nothing to address that. There are still too many other benefits tied to Grav Round. I don't see how reducing the damage and increasing the activation time really affects that, since we still want to keep 5 stacks of Gravity Vortex up, five stacks of Charged Barrel, and proc Curtain of Fire.