Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lagging, lagging

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

highway_dave
04.10.2012 , 07:14 AM | #1
Hi. I'm having pretty bad lagging issues that make playing really difficult. The issue definitely gets better/worse depending on what area I'm in. I tried following the instructions in another post that involved opening the control panel and typing in some runes, but the instructions we're very unclear as to what specifically I should be typing and what was part of the post's text - also it wanted me to type a symbol I don't know how to type (a vertical bar, like a back-clash at a 90 degree angle).

Anyway, I've got a Dell Inspiron 580, windows 7 professional, 64bit, 6.60 RAM, Intel Core i3CPU 550@ 3.20 Ghz if my stats give anyone a clue to the problem.

The game seems fun, so I'm hoping someone can get me able to play it.

Thanks,
HighwayDave

Cerimon
04.10.2012 , 07:24 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings highway_dave,

Can I ask what your location is and what server you play on?
Also, does the lag seem to occur at the same time each day?
I know the traceroute instructions can be a little difficult and I can try to give them to you in a more easily usable form if you wish to try it.

Thank You for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

highway_dave
04.10.2012 , 07:56 AM | #3
Hi Cerimon,

Thanks for the help. I live in New York, NY and I have a character on two servers: Thana Vesh, and The Harbinger. The issue is pretty much exactly the same on both servers and I have tried another (East Coast) server that had the same problem too.

It doesn't seem to be any different at different times but it's definitely worst in the "rest zones". It's actually pretty bad everywhere - it's tough to turn at all cause everything moves in stutters. I hope I'm explaining it alright.

Thanks,
David

Cerimon
04.10.2012 , 08:21 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings highway_dave,

It is unclear whether you are experiencing network lag or in-game performance issues so I will give you some performance tips and if these do not help you we can get into the network troubleshooting.
  • There is also a Graphics Quality Preset option in-game that you should set to Very Low.
  • Try setting your graphics card settings to performance options rather than quality for better frame rates.
  • Check that your Graphics card has the most recent drivers installed.
    For instructions on how to update your Graphics card drivers please see here.
  • You should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. For further details please check here
  • You should check that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.
Just so we can determine if there is an obvious issue with your machine can I ask you to post your Dxdiag as follows.

Obtaining a DxDiag File:
1. Press Windows Key + R
2. Enter in the following window “DxDiag” and press ENTER or “OK”.
Depending on the OS, you may have to confirm a popup window, to include WHQL signatures. It is safe to
press YES/OK here.
3. Now you have the “DirectX Diagnostic Tool” open
4. Click on “Save All Information…” and save the file at any location convenient (default: Desktop)
The saved file is now available under the location previously chosen.

highway_dave
04.10.2012 , 08:52 AM | #5
Hi Cerimon,

Wow, that totally worked. I changed the setting on the graphics quality preset to "very Low" and it was like clouds parted. Thanks a lot.

-David

Cerimon
04.10.2012 , 09:03 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings highway_dave,

Excellent! We are delighted you are now enjoying the game.

Thank You for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic