Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Graphics Card Question

evlspirit
12.16.2011 , 10:50 AM | #1
Reposted here as i think customer services was the wrong thread....

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - if so please feel free to move.

I have been looking at a few laptops all i5 or i7 with 6-8gb RAM so the graphics card is going to be the main thing for this game.

My question is what sort of performance and settings i could expect from the below - so i can decide what to get:

- nvidia GT520/525M
- nvidia GT540M
- nvidea GT550M
- nvidia GT555M - costs a few hundred more

- radeon 6630M
- radeon 6650M

Any advise is most welcome - having real difficulty deciding.

Also if anyone has bought custom laptops from Novatech UK id be interested to hear your opinions of there systems?

Many thanks

Ben

Note: reason going for a laptop over a desktop is because i want to be able to sit in the living room with my partner while playing - to avoid being a recluse Plus our study is right at the back of the house.

evlspirit
12.16.2011 , 11:58 AM | #2
bump

evlspirit
12.16.2011 , 01:44 PM | #3
please - any help

potsherds
12.16.2011 , 01:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by evlspirit View Post
- nvidea GT550M
- nvidia GT555M - costs a few hundred more

- radeon 6650M

Note: reason going for a laptop over a desktop is because i want to be able to sit in the living room with my partner while playing - to avoid being a recluse Plus our study is right at the back of the house.
In order, GT550M, radeon 6650M, GT555M. A laptop is not going to deliver the sort of performance a desktop would. If that's an acceptable trade-off, so be it. I'd never recommend it myself. I can't stand trying to game on a laptop.
Te'aza , Scoundrel - Space Slug
Rhien , Sage - The Shadowlands (waiting for server transfers)

Mattdoommaster
12.16.2011 , 01:51 PM | #5
All of those except for the GT520/525 are in a close range in terms of performance.

With the GT520/525 you probably would be able to play at medium settings with a resolution of 1366x768 at a decent framerate.

If you grabbed one of those more powerful cards, you might be able to go for high settings or a mix of high/medium settings.

Personally I'd got for the GT540/550 system, assuming that the GT555 is much more expensive, as you indicated. I like Nvidia's mobile graphics because they use a graphics switching technology called Optimus that allows for great battery life when you aren't gaming.

ATI also has switchable graphics, but their version is a lot clunkier.

evlspirit
12.16.2011 , 02:04 PM | #6
Great,

Thanks everyone. might go for the GT540M as i can get a lenovo or acer one with an i7 cpu and 6gb ram for under 650 (staff/trade price) at work.

Ben