Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Black screen when launching game. Audio and cursor still present. Help please!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Black screen when launching game. Audio and cursor still present. Help please!

Revlit
12.16.2011 , 12:12 PM | #11
I have an issue like this, but I can get into the game (I can watch the cinematics) but when I try to make a character I cannot see any of the background or the character, but only the HUD around the sides.

I make a random character to see if it works in-game but still the same issue.

Kukani
12.16.2011 , 12:20 PM | #12
My problem is I click play, it acts like it's starting up, see a black screen then it goes poof within a second of starting.
You can go out guns blazing sure, though thermals to the face works just as well.

DThrawn
12.16.2011 , 12:31 PM | #13
I have a similar issue. The game starts, sound even plays, but the video is totally borked. My monitor flickers like the resolution is gonna change, but instead of the video I get a black screen with "INVALID SYNC". Please note that during the stress test a few weeks ago, the game worked absolutely fine. Same computer, same drivers.

Things I have tried already:
-Computer meets minimum specs
-Drivers and Directx up to date (catalyst drivers 11.12)
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the entire game

My guess? I think the default video settings were messed with between the stress test and the launch version. I think the game is trying to run at a resolution my monitor won't support. An out of game config utility would be helpful here.

Leiloni
12.16.2011 , 12:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Soliis View Post
I am aware that there are other threads concerning this situation but I feel the need to start a new one as the others have not been resolved for some people.

The issue concerns going into the game once the client has been closed. The window comes up and I can hear the introduction movie playing in the background. The problem is that there is no video to accompany the audio. I hit escape to skip the introduction and still no video is present. Randomly clicking on the screen produces different sound effects and looking at the AppData folder shows that a server was chosen. Point being that the game is working.. but there is no video or graphics to accompany the game. I can even see the cursor on the screen! However no amount of restarting or fiddling with settings or even the almighty alt+tab maneuver will get the video working.

I have already tried changing the resolution through the .ini files in the installation directory as well as updating my video card and directx11. Basically there is still some kind of issue that the repair function in the launcher does not fix, and I would prefer an alternative to reinstalling the game that may not even fix the problem.

I am using a Radeon HD 4770 with 8GB of ram and a 3.2Hz duo core processor. OS is Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this issue yesterday, Radeon HD 6770 and when I went to update the drivers via the Device Manager it said it was already updated so that is not helpful. What you need to do is go into Catalyst Control Center and check your Catalyst version. If it's version 11.8 go to the website and manually download a new version. I upgraded to 11.12 and that works fine. Basically anything but 11.8 and you'll be ok, game doesn't work with 11.8.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Warrwraith
12.16.2011 , 02:01 PM | #15
well guy i have tried everthing that is mentioned here and still get black screen after i click on play....gona try to get a new video card after christmas.....:-(