Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag without fail in evenings

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Lag without fail in evenings

Darth_Precursor
04.02.2012 , 05:10 PM | #11
I've been having lots of lag lately. This is what I scored on speedtest.
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

British_Wookiee
04.02.2012 , 05:38 PM | #12
For people having latency issues that are still not getting resolved, please head to this thread and /sign or leave your comments.
K r a y d e n
/__R_e_d___D_r_a_g_o_n___P_l_a_t_o_o_n__\

- British: Killing you politely since the 1800s -

KorbinArmand
04.02.2012 , 06:06 PM | #13
A high Speedtest.net Ping is NOT SWTOR problem, its with your ISP or your home setup.

First if you have any router or switchs reset them, unplug and leave off for 10-15secs then power them back on. Next check background programs, ensure no Torrent or streaming items are running. Next Check your wireless router (if you have one) to see if you got any freeloaders or unknown devices on your connection, if so change password and reconnect.

Also when testing connection test it with and without any/all router and switchs, to ensure there isnt a issue with them clogging up your connection.

Given your results id guess that you have issue with your home system, its very uncommon (less youre very rural) to have under 1MB/S upload connection, this should indicate with larger than 100ms ping that there is something on your connection steadly exchanging data that is clogging up your connection (ie Per to Per, Torrents or steamers, or even other console online).
May the Fourth Be With You

XxWattonxX
04.03.2012 , 01:16 PM | #14
rang up sky CS (my isp) and the bloke said my internet speeds seem fine on his end -.- anyway changed the channel my internet was on, whatever the .... that means, and still no difference, but like I said other games seem to work fine, so im now losing the will to live If anyone else is having the time specific lag gimme a shout and we can start a cult or something..

Oh and as a side note the guy at sky said the speed checker things on the internet dont work properly the majority of the time...was this just to make me stick with sky products, or is it actually true? =S
"Nature has left this ticture in the blood,
That all men would be tyrants if they could."

Onyx
04.03.2012 , 02:02 PM | #15
Speedtests do very little to help troubleshoot this type of problem unless it is specific to your computer, your local network, or the access point where your router/modem connects to your ISP.

Could you please follow the instructions I posted (it's on the first page of this thread) and post a traceroute. That will show us what's going on between your computer and the server. You'll want to do that at a time when you are experiencing latency to the server.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Onyx
04.03.2012 , 02:03 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by XxWattonxX View Post
Oh and as a side note the guy at sky said the speed checker things on the internet dont work properly the majority of the time...was this just to make me stick with sky products, or is it actually true? =S
Yes, that is true.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D

Romiz
04.04.2012 , 05:54 PM | #17
If you want to really see what is going on run Smokeping. This is a long test unlike a general speed test. You can run it anywhere from 1 (none registered user) to 14 days. This also gives answer the guys at the ISP can not. Since they only take a 1 second poll of your connection not 24 to 336 hours.

Just remember to bookmark the results page. To do this select number of days click start. Then click next on page that comes up. Bookmark the next page.

Also I like to keep a log of what I am doing during the test. So use the internet like you would normally but just write down start and stop times. Safe paper just record times on Windows notepad

Onyx
04.04.2012 , 06:32 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
If you want to really see what is going on run Smokeping. This is a long test unlike a general speed test. You can run it anywhere from 1 (none registered user) to 14 days. This also gives answer the guys at the ISP can not. Since they only take a 1 second poll of your connection not 24 to 336 hours.

Just remember to bookmark the results page. To do this select number of days click start. Then click next on page that comes up. Bookmark the next page.

Also I like to keep a log of what I am doing during the test. So use the internet like you would normally but just write down start and stop times. Safe paper just record times on Windows notepad
That look's likes a nice, useful tool, which can help identify some problems. However if the latency issue is caused by anything other than your router/modem or the access point where your router/modem connects to your ISP, it may not show up.

What that test is doing is pinging an IP from several of their own servers. If it's your own IP, then it can indicate traffic issues either at your router or at the node/IAD (Internet Access Device) your connection is configured to connect to.

That may or may not show any others issues external to those two points.

That's why we use tools such as traceroutes for troubleshooting network/internetwork latency, which can help us see how your data is traveling from end to end and indicate bottlenecks or routers/switches that are having problems.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group

XxWattonxX
04.09.2012 , 04:17 PM | #19
Ok, I am now having lag constantly non-stop I contacted my isp, they have boosted my signal and internet speed to its fullest, but they are pretty sure its not on their end soooooo, Im now officially blaming bioware . I know im gonna get people telling me how it cant be on biowares side 'cos "they are awesome **** dude rarglarglar rage rage" but i have exhausted everything I can possibly do with my internet and computer...I even splashd out 30 on a new router (but i coulda done with one anyway so i wont mention it.....again).
"Nature has left this ticture in the blood,
That all men would be tyrants if they could."