Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best tree setup for pvp tank?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Best tree setup for pvp tank?

goskins
04.09.2012 , 04:00 PM | #1
Hey guys I just started a shadow alt a couple days ago and basically I want him to be very difficult to kill in pvp. Whats the best tree setup for a pvp tank?

Missandei
04.10.2012 , 05:53 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by goskins View Post
Hey guys I just started a shadow alt a couple days ago and basically I want him to be very difficult to kill in pvp. Whats the best tree setup for a pvp tank?
There is no such thing as PvP Shadow Tank.
As a «Tank» spec youll have a lot of shield absorb stats that do virtually no damage mitigation in PvP..
So youll have only a slightly more HP as a Tank and a considerably less DPS..

LessQQMorePewPew
04.10.2012 , 05:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by goskins View Post
31/0/10

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601bIrokrskbsZZf0cM.1

Full BM Survivor gear ??? profit.

LessQQMorePewPew
04.10.2012 , 05:57 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
There is no such thing as PvP Shadow Tank.
As a «Tank» spec youll have a lot of shield absorb stats that do virtually no damage mitigation in PvP..
So youll have only a slightly more HP as a Tank and a considerably less DPS..
This is simply not true. The survivability difference between a Tank geared and DPS geared shadow in pvp is large and anyone who says differently has never tried both or fought both.

Kinetic DPS spec (tank spec dps gear) is gimmicky and subpar. Don't get me wrong it is very powerful but a Sentinel or Focus Guardian does it better.

Spec balance or switch to tank gear if you want to contribute the most you can as your class. Kinetic burst sucks and most of its WZ chart numbers are fake AoE "soft" dmg. The 1v1 argument is invalid as it just wins via attrition and cooldowns.

Someone posted the other day and I 100% agree with them... As they said it "If you really want to be a GOD wear tank gear and find a decent healer". You and a halfway decent healer can hold a door in voidstar vs their entire team.

Missandei
04.10.2012 , 07:41 AM | #5
And get in mind that after 1.2 it would be much harder to compose a neat custom Survivor DPS set..

Arynoth
04.10.2012 , 08:52 AM | #6
You may take a while to go down, especially if you have a healer, but your dps will be laughable. Really the only reason I'd go tank spec again in pvp would be to guard a healer and protect them. Anything else, you may live a bit longer then an infil shadow getting beat on by several targets, but good luck killing any of them.
www.hardwarecanucks.com - Top Canadian Computer Hardware Forums

Bewoulff
04.10.2012 , 09:07 AM | #7
I wish the community would figure out what's best. I peruse the shadow forums only to see how awful infiltration is at pvp and how KC is the way to go. Then there are posts like this that are unanimously agreed KC is terrible at pvp. Its not even that the community is split, each post is unanimous one direction or the other. Makes for confusion for those of us trying to find out footing.

LessQQMorePewPew
04.10.2012 , 09:49 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bewoulff View Post
I wish the community would figure out what's best. I peruse the shadow forums only to see how awful infiltration is at pvp and how KC is the way to go. Then there are posts like this that are unanimously agreed KC is terrible at pvp. Its not even that the community is split, each post is unanimous one direction or the other. Makes for confusion for those of us trying to find out footing.
Inf is bad. It has amazing burst but poopy survivability and mobility/control. Balance is high sustained with medium burst. Kinetic DPS is medium sustained and no birst but has high survivability for a DPS spec. It is a DPS due to its lack of survivability under focus compared to actual tank geared tanks if you wear DpS gear but it does not DPS well when compared to actual DpS. Sure you can put numbers on a scoreboard by never dying and taking 50k dmg to kill a 15k target along with slow time and FB spam but that damage is meaningless.

A kinetic tank however gets resilience force slow knockback and force speed alog with stealth and a pull. Compare that to the other two tanks and it brings way more to the table then them. Guardian gets leap but coordinated sage pulls replace thqt in a groip enviroment.

Don't just listen to the "experts". Think. Read. Learn. Improve as a player and become an expert.

Bewoulff
04.10.2012 , 11:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LessQQMorePewPew View Post
Inf is bad. It has amazing burst but poopy survivability and mobility/control. Balance is high sustained with medium burst. Kinetic DPS is medium sustained and no birst but has high survivability for a DPS spec. It is a DPS due to its lack of survivability under focus compared to actual tank geared tanks if you wear DpS gear but it does not DPS well when compared to actual DpS. Sure you can put numbers on a scoreboard by never dying and taking 50k dmg to kill a 15k target along with slow time and FB spam but that damage is meaningless.

A kinetic tank however gets resilience force slow knockback and force speed alog with stealth and a pull. Compare that to the other two tanks and it brings way more to the table then them. Guardian gets leap but coordinated sage pulls replace thqt in a groip enviroment.

Don't just listen to the "experts". Think. Read. Learn. Improve as a player and become an expert.
All of this I have heard and am well aware of. The point I'm trying to make is everyone in the community is making it out to be either one is better than the other in PVP. Seems to me after "Think. Read. Learn." that it's situational. People will say KC sucks but it's only because Infil or Balance more suits their play style. Or that Infil sucks but only because KC suits their play style. Neither one is better than the other, fully depends on the player and these posts should reflect that. If you play as Infil you are squishy and need to be very careful which target you pick and how you fight them.

I wish Bioware would let us choose which PVP map we want to play. Because I find that KC is better in Voidstar and Infil is better in huttball. It may just be me and my newbish ways though. These "WoW" like MMOs are kind of new to me. I played FFXI where there was virtually no PVP so I didn't have to consider the most efficient way to play as much as PVP players do. PVE is so much easier simply because PVP players can think and adapt. Makes the game morei nteresting but also more exhausting.

Raja_Asenn
04.10.2012 , 06:23 PM | #10
I've been playing 31/3/7, dropping upheaval for infiltration tactics. I increased my average wz damage dealt by about 15% once I remembered how to properly use shadow strike from my infiltration days.

pros:

- I find myself energy starved less frequently because I project less.

- When you do come up energy dry, at least saber strike is doing something useful. 3 hits = high chance to proc FW

- The armor penetration from FW procs is lovely against other kinetics, powertechs and mercs.

- Stabbing people in the back is emotionally satisfying

cons:

- It takes a little longer to pick up 3 stacks of harnessed shadows because you double strike less frequently

- missing a GCD because shadow strike misfired will make you want to strangle a kitten
Jung Ma :: The Guardians