Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight, Trooper, Smuggler - Torn, Please Help

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Jedi Knight, Trooper, Smuggler - Torn, Please Help

Disastersaurus
12.16.2011 , 07:48 AM | #1
orn between these three classes, wondering if you guys might be able to lend a hand.

First off, here's me in games - I like to be fast, direct, and aggressive. I don't really tend to play the stealthy rogue, the heavy warrior, or the mage; my playstyle usually revolves around that of the flexible, persistent type.

In WoW I was a Feral Druid, in Aion a Chanter, City of Heroes a Scrapper, you get the idea. I like fast, exciting playstyles where my defense isn't about staying out of range or having beefy armor - it's about ability management and twitch reactions.

Putting story and everything aside [yes they're important, but I've got a level 50 mindset] do you guys know if any class is particularly well-suited to my playstyle? Here's a bit more comprehensive version of how I like to play for anyone okay with tldr:

STRENGTHS I NEED: Good mobility, difficult to kite. Good spike damage. Lots of abilities to manage.

WEAKNESSES I'M OKAY WITH: Unimpressive DPS. Low passive defense [I'm fine with having low armor if I've got defensive cooldowns, for example], difficult to play.

Any help would be appreciated.

RymahFett
12.16.2011 , 07:56 AM | #2
I dont have much EXP but the Trooper has all the STR's your are worried about and it DOES NOT have any of the weakness, i was looking for about the same as you and i was stuck between JC, Smug and Trooper, rolled a troop and it is AMAZING, he is a run and gun type char with some channeled and cast times, heavy armour incase you get ganked i wouldnt say it is hard to play but its a lot of fun...

Disastersaurus
12.16.2011 , 07:58 AM | #3
Yeah, ever since the TOR trailers with that ****** Commando I've been considering a Trooper, I'm just usually uncomfortable with Ranged classes since they tend to be...squishy.

However, it seems like the Trooper and especially the Vanguard is anything but.

RymahFett
12.16.2011 , 08:01 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Disastersaurus View Post
Yeah, ever since the TOR trailers with that ****** Commando I've been considering a Trooper, I'm just usually uncomfortable with Ranged classes since they tend to be...squishy.

However, it seems like the Trooper and especially the Vanguard is anything but.
Even as a commando you get Heavy armour and if your worried about being a ranged you can roll vanguard as they have some more medium/close range stuff, im rolling command because i want to have the option to heal

Disastersaurus
12.16.2011 , 08:04 AM | #5
Okay I think I've narrowed it down between Jedi Sentinel and Trooper Vanguard.

Gelos
12.16.2011 , 12:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Disastersaurus View Post
Okay I think I've narrowed it down between Jedi Sentinel and Trooper Vanguard.
Go Trooper Vanguard, the Sentinel uses Medium Armor and is more DPS oriented, so it has those little drawbacks you mentioned.

The Trooper is straight up melee power in heavy armor. (Well...Melee or very short range).

Disastersaurus
12.16.2011 , 01:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gelos View Post
Go Trooper Vanguard, the Sentinel uses Medium Armor and is more DPS oriented, so it has those little drawbacks you mentioned.

The Trooper is straight up melee power in heavy armor. (Well...Melee or very short range).
Those drawbacks are drawbacks I'm okay with, though, as it said. Weaknesses I don't mind.

I dunno. I think I'ma stick with Sentinel, I just don't like guns.