Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Female's being called sir..??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Female's being called sir..??

septembersphinx's Avatar


septembersphinx
04.08.2012 , 05:56 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinemetu View Post
I'm objecting to it being used at all because it's not true. I only mentioned real-world usage in response to someone using the real military as a justification--so if you don't like the argument, take it up with them.

I strenuously object to using a lie as a justification. If you want to say that it's common in fictional settings, fine... although I think it's pretty inconsistent of you to say that the real world doesn't matter but other sf settings do. If you want me to restrict my arguments to SW, then stop trying to use other fictional settings as a justification.
Only the first paragraph of that post was really directed at you, the rest of it was meant to address previous posts in the thread more generally.

I'm not entirely sure what the lie you're referring to is. If you mean "the us military works that way" then yes, I certainly agree that that fails as justification, which is why I never used that as justification. I do think the justification offered repeatedly in this thread and that is offered in game makes perfect sense, and suffices.

I'm not saying the real world doesn't matter. However, I think the situation in other sf settings (multiple races, potentially less of a history of treating sexes separately due to greater speciesism problems) parallels that of star wars a little more closely.

I'm a little confused by your last sentence. You seem to be implying that since the us military does not call women sir, the star wars military should not, which I find odd. I may, of course, be misunderstanding.

Sinemetu's Avatar


Sinemetu
04.08.2012 , 06:34 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by septembersphinx View Post
I'm not entirely sure what the lie you're referring to is. If you mean "the us military works that way" then yes, I certainly agree that that fails as justification, which is why I never used that as justification.
That's the one.

Quote:
I'm not saying the real world doesn't matter. However, I think the situation in other sf settings (multiple races, potentially less of a history of treating sexes separately due to greater speciesism problems) parallels that of star wars a little more closely.
Umm... I suppose you haven't made this argument, but people "on your side," so to speak, have been arguing quite the opposite. IE, Alderaan basically parallels feudal Europe and the Empire is patriarchal and racist. Besides, several prominent sf settings with no aliens at all have done the universal sir thing. I don't think the presence of aliens has anything to do with it. I think it's a misguided attempt to appear egalitarian in a fictional setting.

Quote:
I'm a little confused by your last sentence. You seem to be implying that since the us military does not call women sir, the star wars military should not, which I find odd. I may, of course, be misunderstanding.
Not really. I'm saying that if you want to allow settings other than SW as acceptable reference material, then RL is fair game too. Ultimately all fiction is based on real life, to a greater or lesser degree.
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
04.08.2012 , 06:43 PM | #73
Quote:
In the Republic, though, holy cow, there's some sexism going on. Wow. I have a 30ish male trooper and 30ish female consular, and yeah. I really don't like that pretentious womanizer.
Just to make another point here, it's somewhat ironic that...

Spoiler
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Rebornlos's Avatar


Rebornlos
04.08.2012 , 07:04 PM | #74
Bioware did it on purpose so sexists like me could laugh everytime a female is called sir against her will. That puts you feminists in your place! No matter what you try feminists will never remove all the years of power men have had and the titles held by men will always be the standard of power. Get over it..../end sarcasm

It is the best way to deal with a universe that has multiple species that may not have visible queues as to gender. Get over it.
Something,something, something...dark side.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.08.2012 , 07:07 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Just to make another point here, it's somewhat ironic that...

Spoiler
Yes, and it doesn't hurt that...
Spoiler
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Idunhavaname's Avatar


Idunhavaname
04.08.2012 , 07:12 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Braaaiins View Post
On my jedi I was also called "sir" ... very annoying.
It's better than being called "my lord" all the time.
.

RIP orange pixel

Lemina_Ausa's Avatar


Lemina_Ausa
04.08.2012 , 07:17 PM | #77
I'm female and was slightly annoyed by it initially, but now I assume its just too much trouble (or costs too much) just to have the VAs say those extra lines for female characters.

Sipah's Avatar


Sipah
04.08.2012 , 07:18 PM | #78
I always thought 'Sir' was originally derived from 'Officer'. Not sure where the heck I heard or dreamed that.
...
I researched later and found out how noobish the above sounds. The word 'Sir' was originally derived from the word 'Sire'. Yes Sire, No Sire...

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.08.2012 , 07:29 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemina_Ausa View Post
I'm female and was slightly annoyed by it initially, but now I assume its just too much trouble (or costs too much) just to have the VAs say those extra lines for female characters.
ARRGGHHHH! People refer to you as she and her ALL the time. It has nothing to do with costs. IT'S JUST THE STAR WARS LORE. You know, the lore that was established DECADES ago.

Why can't people get this? WHY?!

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.08.2012 , 07:34 PM | #80
In fact, here is a suggestion. Go make picket signs and march in front of Skywalker ranch, cause that's where the person who is responsible for this resides in. LucasArts says females are sirs and lords, not BW, not me, not anyone else.