Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars space RPG

MouseNoFour
04.06.2012 , 02:03 AM | #1
Will there ever be a proper Star Wars space combat RPG game?

I mean, a game that primarily focuses on space combat. Like X Wing and TIE Fighter?

For example, take out the ground stuff with SWG and remove the rails from SWTOR, where almost the entire game is devoted to space flight and combat - as well as RPG elements. With RPG themes like upgrading your shields, weapons, missiles and torpedoes.

Perhaps fighting the Empire/Republic/Rebellion/Pirates/etc, to earn credits and play through story elements to progress through the game.

Think along the lines of Freelancer, but for Star Wars.

TKMaster
04.06.2012 , 02:54 AM | #2
I dont want to roleplay as an x-wing......

TKMaster
04.06.2012 , 02:55 AM | #3
But srsly, make it like the old Wing Commander games...yeah, that would be cool.

jarjarloves
04.06.2012 , 05:47 AM | #4
probably not. Simulator games (even space ones) don't sell well.

TKMaster
04.06.2012 , 06:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
probably not. Simulator games (even space ones) don't sell well.
Millions and millions of ppl that bought games in the x-wing / TIE fighter seiries disagree with you.

Spartanik
04.06.2012 , 06:13 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
Millions and millions of ppl that bought games in the x-wing / TIE fighter seiries disagree with you.
Yet they are still a minority in comparisson, to the sales of other type of games.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

Lowry
04.06.2012 , 06:29 AM | #7
SWG's space system basically was its own game... after the first couple months or so i kept my subscription to SWG up for half a year just to keep playing the space stuff. in this game i was sick of the space gameplay after the first two days. Bioware really dropped the ball with the railshooter crap in SWTOR
"Destruction is easier than harmony but not more powerful."

"There are two kinds of Mandalorian Warriors, Jarael. The ones who figure out how to use their medkits and the ones we bury."

jarjarloves
04.06.2012 , 07:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
not sure how many people actually bought them. I know I did and I enjoyed them however I can't find any figure on the total sales. They did well but not sure how well.

I am sure they are not the highest selling SW game out there.

But I still return to my original statement which is simulator games don't sell well. There is a reason why the PC market doesn't have a ton of Space, tank, plane and submarine simulator games out there.

Datamonger
04.06.2012 , 07:48 AM | #9
If they made a Star Wars game like STO, I'd play it.

TKMaster
04.06.2012 , 08:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
not sure how many people actually bought them. I know I did and I enjoyed them however I can't find any figure on the total sales. They did well but not sure how well.

I am sure they are not the highest selling SW game out there.

But I still return to my original statement which is simulator games don't sell well. There is a reason why the PC market doesn't have a ton of Space, tank, plane and submarine simulator games out there.
Did they sell like KOTOTR? No, and some of that can be due to the small PC gaming market of the early-mid 90's because the Rouge Squadron games were platnum sellers on consoles.

Also.....dont think the OP said anything about sims, wich is why i suggest a "Wing Commander" like space RPG with Star Wars skin.