Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Apparently there's an application of the game running, but i see nothing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Apparently there's an application of the game running, but i see nothing
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

antique_nova
04.05.2012 , 11:46 AM | #1
Basically, i have a new computer, One with a higher spec than the last one which ran the game okay.

Packard Bell - TK87-GN-051UK

Memory: 6GB
GRAPHICS: UMA
HARD DRIVE: 750 GB

WINDOW 7 HOME 64BIT

I have installed the game via online like i did months ago on the previous laptop, everything checks out.

I then managed to bring up the login tab thing, then the computer turned itself off. I was annoyed, but it's stopped doing that now.

Whenever i try to launch the game now it repeats the same message:

"Only a single instant of this application can run"

And yet i can't see a damn thing that indicates that there is one already running. It does however show in the processes part of task manager and nowhere else.

I have tried to turn the computer off and on and trying to launch it access, i have ended the process in task manager. The machine just hums and nothing happens. :/

I haven't played the game in a damned month and would like to get back on it asap!

thanks
antique_nova

Ratae
04.05.2012 , 11:50 AM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello antique_nova,

Please try the following to try to solve the ‘single instance’ issue:
  • Please make sure that your anti-virus software and firewall are not blocking launcher.exe.
  • Go to this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.
  • Run FixLauncher.exe (also in the above location) as administrator.

Afterwards, please run the launcher again and let us know if you still have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

trueanimus
04.05.2012 , 12:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratae View Post
Hello antique_nova,

Please try the following to try to solve the ‘single instance’ issue:
  • Please make sure that your anti-virus software and firewall are not blocking launcher.exe.
  • Go to this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.
  • Run FixLauncher.exe (also in the above location) as administrator.

Afterwards, please run the launcher again and let us know if you still have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

also.. you may want to try the simple normal fix.. control alt delete ONCE then task manager, then processes tab. There could be 1 or 2 SWTOR.exe running.. if you see em.. click em and stop process.. This happens sometimes on vista and win 7. The main exe shuts down but the process threads keep working...

THEN...

right click on the swtor icon on your desktop, goto compatibility tab, set to windows xp sp 3 (or 2) if you dont have 3. then check run as admin. saves changes and run from the icon. ALSO.. if the icon will not allow you to set a compatibility mode, simply create a new shortcut then browse to the swtor.exe file and set the compatibility for that shortcut. Sometimes the install makes the icon read only and will not allow you to set compatibility mode.

hope this helps..

BTW for the droid.. How about trying the same thing i just mentioned and looking at the size of the exe process thread even when the game is idle.. this shows the memory leak clearly... the process ram used will continue to grow 2k to 3k per second when the bug is happening until all avail memory is full. This stems from bad call lines in the code that need to be fixed and could account for some of the games fps issues since the game keeps calling to ram and HD. check it out.
Formerly Known as Trueevil of Tarquinas server SWG or Truelydead/trueid/truelock/truedewd/truecan/truelyinsane/truelynsane/trueblu/truebacca of undermine in WoW

antique_nova
04.05.2012 , 01:09 PM | #4
thanks Ratae. Your suggestion worked and now the launcher is just "being updated. Please wait" giving me that response.

I will check back in about 30 mins or less.

EDIT: Or not

The launcher has now just been replaced by a large black box, barely a few seconds ago. Will give it a bit of time.

thanks
antique_nova