Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enough of the Hayden Christensen hate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Enough of the Hayden Christensen hate

Captain_Zone
03.30.2012 , 12:45 PM | #11
I did enjoy Jumper, though. Just to see Sam Jackson get his revenge for Episode III.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

billyboyjennings
03.30.2012 , 12:58 PM | #12
Hayden Christensen is just a bad actor. Wooden and boring.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Rehneu
03.30.2012 , 01:08 PM | #13
I guess no one saw Life as a House with Hayden and Kevin Kline. Hayden was great in that role.

Like someone pointed out, it does indeed come down to direction as to how to portray the characters.

Also, a great movie by Lucas was American Graffiti.

DSafana
03.30.2012 , 01:20 PM | #14
The dialogue and directing was the problem. It was forced. NOBODY could have pulled off acting that garbage. It was like telling someone here's your lines. try to force emotion into them . George Lucas also has no clue how to do a love story. I have a hard time believing Padme would fall in love with anyone as weak willed as Anakin, especially since he seems to have aged 5 times faster than her. In 10 years he'd be an old man and she'd still look the same.
I wanted to see Anakin become a powerful Jedi with real character, that turns darkside because of circumstances. Instead they forced this whinny spoiled brat on us that was so easily manipulated by Palpatine that it wasn't believeable.

Obi-Wan never lets me do anything on my own----waaaaaahhh. They should treat me like an adult---waaahhhh. where's my blankie.

Wolfninjajedi
03.30.2012 , 01:21 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DSafana View Post
The dialogue and directing was the problem. It was forced. NOBODY could have pulled off acting that garbage. It was like telling someone here's your lines. try to force emotion into them . George Lucas also has no clue how to do a love story. I have a hard time believing Padme would fall in love with anyone as weak willed as Anakin, especially since he seems to have aged 5 times faster than her. In 10 years he'd be an old man and she'd still look the same.
I wanted to see Anakin become a powerful Jedi with real character, that turns darkside because of circumstances. Instead they forced this whinny spoiled brat on us that was so easily manipulated by Palpatine that it wasn't believeable.

Obi-Wan never lets me do anything on my own----waaaaaahhh. They should treat me like an adult---waaahhhh. where's my blankie.
Hmm....well I never saw that at all, but opinions are opinions so be happy. For the record, Anakin and Padme's ages weren't that far off, that you could see being a difference.

In EP 1: Anakin was 9, Padme was 14

EP 2: Anakin was 20, so this would made Padme 25

Not sure how old they were in EP 3, but their ages weren't far apart.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

celebrei
03.30.2012 , 01:30 PM | #16
Star wars was never known for good acting, heck even Mark Hamill's acting was bad. But Christensen's acting was Keanu Reeves bad, meaning it almost single handedly ruined the entire prequels. Lets face it, the guy cant act, even in life as a house his delivery was bad, like when his character was berrating kevin kline saying "thats child abuse i can report you for this" makes me cringe everytime, Jumper was an equally moronic exercise for him. Is it no wonder he hasnt done a note worthy role since Jumper? Coz the studios now he is bad and lost all faith in him.

Captain_Zone
03.30.2012 , 09:28 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by celebrei View Post
Star wars was never known for good acting, heck even Mark Hamill's acting was bad. But Christensen's acting was Keanu Reeves bad, meaning it almost single handedly ruined the entire prequels. Lets face it, the guy cant act, even in life as a house his delivery was bad, like when his character was berrating kevin kline saying "thats child abuse i can report you for this" makes me cringe everytime, Jumper was an equally moronic exercise for him. Is it no wonder he hasnt done a note worthy role since Jumper? Coz the studios now he is bad and lost all faith in him.
Actually, Mark Hamill is probably the most underrated actor ever. Just the looks on his face in RotJ when he figured out Leia was his sister. OMG she's my sister! OMG she kissed me!!! OMG and I LIKED it!!!!!!! Ah, heck, I'd kiss her again.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Wire_Razors
03.30.2012 , 09:41 PM | #18
Christiansen did well with what he had. He's not a good actor by any means, but he's not bad. The character sheet for Anakin was just really badly written. Christiansen didn't shine until the 3rd installment, and even then his tendency to overact (which, let's be honest, was present in Eps 4, 5, and 6 ad nauseum ... the only difference is that they were better scripts), he did a great job in that episode, though Ewan McGregor carried 100% of those scenes.

Even in Ep 1, the kiddo (Jake Lloyd), when you get right down to it, wasn't a totally bad actor for that role. Analyze his dialogue, his expressions, and you'll see that it came down to a badly written script, not his acting (which, even so, was no more/no less, than any other script from Hollywood). Was he mis-cast? Definitely, but he, like Christiansen, did okay with what he had to deal with.

My biggest beef with the Prequels is the "sudden aging" of Anikan from Ep 1 to Ep 2, and the fact of the love interest with Padme ... single biggest blunder in writing history. Little kid gets a crush on an older woman, becomes a teen and engages in what amounts to an elicit affair ... hallmarks of a sort of reverse Lolita there). Lucas should have cast a younger Padme in the first episode, same age as Anikan at the time, and then FF to Episode 2 when they're both older.

That being said, I think it's almost genious that Lucas did what he did ... it adds subtle levels of taboo (Anakin being younger, and thus more passionate and innocent, while Padme is older, more experienced, but yet just as naive, yet in some respects cunning). He just didn't do that dynamic justice.
Knights of the True Republic

Wolfninjajedi
03.30.2012 , 09:49 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wire_Razors View Post
Christiansen did well with what he had. He's not a good actor by any means, but he's not bad. The character sheet for Anakin was just really badly written. Christiansen didn't shine until the 3rd installment, and even then his tendency to overact (which, let's be honest, was present in Eps 4, 5, and 6 ad nauseum ... the only difference is that they were better scripts), he did a great job in that episode, though Ewan McGregor carried 100% of those scenes.

Even in Ep 1, the kiddo (Jake Lloyd), when you get right down to it, wasn't a totally bad actor for that role. Analyze his dialogue, his expressions, and you'll see that it came down to a badly written script, not his acting (which, even so, was no more/no less, than any other script from Hollywood). Was he mis-cast? Definitely, but he, like Christiansen, did okay with what he had to deal with.

My biggest beef with the Prequels is the "sudden aging" of Anikan from Ep 1 to Ep 2, and the fact of the love interest with Padme ... single biggest blunder in writing history. Little kid gets a crush on an older woman, becomes a teen and engages in what amounts to an elicit affair ... hallmarks of a sort of reverse Lolita there). Lucas should have cast a younger Padme in the first episode, same age as Anikan at the time, and then FF to Episode 2 when they're both older.

That being said, I think it's almost genious that Lucas did what he did ... it adds subtle levels of taboo (Anakin being younger, and thus more passionate and innocent, while Padme is older, more experienced, but yet just as naive, yet in some respects cunning). He just didn't do that dynamic justice.
Their ages weren't that far apart....

Anakin was 9, Padme was 14 in TPM

Anakin was 20 and Padme was 25 in ATOC

Its fine.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Wire_Razors
03.30.2012 , 10:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Their ages weren't that far apart....

Anakin was 9, Padme was 14 in TPM

Anakin was 20 and Padme was 25 in ATOC

Its fine.
Something I wasn't aware of (thanks for the 411).

I guess in that context it's not that bad (9/14 year olds ... I've seen it happen in RL), but it's still just a bit ... creepy. Guess that's my old-fashion values kicking in. One thing I have to give credit for, in light of this info, is that in Ep 1, she didn't encourage it, but didn't totally destroy his world for having such a crush. The Force knows when I was that age, I had crushes on much older teens/young women who didn't encourage it (and when I was those ages, vice versa), but handled it appropriately and with grace.

Even so, there was so much more maturity in Padme that it made it a bit freaky. I would have guessed her to be 17/18, if not early 20s in TPM.
Knights of the True Republic