Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

madness roation for pvp


Ushela's Avatar


Ushela
03.29.2012 , 08:12 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by jbuschell View Post
Balance shadow here but my rotation is (using your terms)

Death field
Discharge
Creeping Terror
Affliction
Shock to get unearthed knowledge up
Thrash
Crushing darkness when I get a raze proc
And if dots are up, death field is on cd and you have no procs and unearthed knowledge is up then thrash to your hearts content, I'm 10/0/31 so I never use maul, never

I generally pop recklessness an adrenal and a relic at this point with a deathfield and a shock and put out some sick burst.

I also use my creeping terror more as a root then a dot.

Madness sin and balance shadow is fun as hell, don't cave and go darkness
You have affliction? Interesting. Id recommend putting 1 point into Duplicity (the maul talent). With all your dots ticking, only having one point in the talent makes it proc a lot for Mauls which are a huge dps increase when used with the proc each time.

Maul used with a Duplicity talent proc is better damage/time than Deathfield, Thrash and Saber Strike. In fact, it falls in line JUST behind crushing darkness in this statistic. This makes Maul very worth using, and only 1 point in the talent is all that is needed for the madness spec. Way better than the 3rd point you have in the lightsaber charges talent!

jbuschell's Avatar


jbuschell
03.29.2012 , 08:47 AM | #12
ROFL no I do not have affliction I have a 50 madness sorc and got my streams crossed, and if you watched ghostbusters you know that's not a good thing, maul/shadow strike is a matter of personal taste personally I enjoy picking up 3 more points in darkness/kinetic combat.
E-Thuggin since 1987

mrHaterade's Avatar


mrHaterade
03.29.2012 , 10:10 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ushela View Post
With all your dots ticking, only having one point in the talent makes it proc a lot for Mauls...
Holy crap it procs on dots too?! Damn, I never knew that. I always wondered why it proc'd so much with just one point. I may have to reconsider those other 2 points now. :/ The good thing about having 3 points in it is Exploit Weakness is almost always up so you can drop a Maul any time you want.

Quote: Originally Posted by jbuschell View Post
... I have a 50 madness sorc and got my streams crossed ...
But, Egon, you said crossing the streams was BAD.

Philosomanic's Avatar


Philosomanic
03.29.2012 , 10:58 AM | #14
The way I read it, Exploit Weakness can only proc on direct damage, which means you hitting them with lightning or a lightsaber. DoTs probably shouldn't trigger it.


As far as I'm concerned, there's really only one golden rule for your rotation. After using Death Field, be sure to put one Discharge on each enemy with Deathmark on them. You'll do a large amount of damage to them from that single DoT, get periodic self-heals from DoT crits (3 ticks every two seconds equals roughly 1%/second), and you'll regenerate an extra 3 force every second.

After that, it's completely situational. Definitely keep Creeping Terror up on at least one person. You can choose to maintain it on a second person, or save it for CC. There are few things more fun than rooting a Sorc/Sage half a second after they start Force Speed, and watching them stand there with the speed effect around them. Obviously, you should cast Crushing Darkness whenever it procs, and use Maul if you have the proc. Always be ready to swap targets and use Assassinate if someone drops below 30%.

Unearthed Knowledge is definitely not worth the talent points. It's a 10% bonus to melee bonus damage. If you're in Battlemaster gear or near it, you've got a melee damage bonus of 500-600. This means that UK gives you +50-60 melee bonus damage. Considering that maybe half our DPS comes from melee, that's not worth the points.

Shock represents a net loss of DPS, but that's really only relevant for PvE fights where you have near 100% uptime. You obviously shouldn't spam it, but especially with Chain Shock it can be incredibly powerful for a quick burst. Personally, I only ever use it to consume a Recklessness charge. Except for when Recklessness is up, you're choosing a little more damage now for less damage in a few seconds. It's usually better to just use Thrash.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

mrHaterade's Avatar


mrHaterade
03.29.2012 , 12:55 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Philosomanic View Post
Unearthed Knowledge is definitely not worth the talent points. It's a 10% bonus to melee bonus damage. If you're in Battlemaster gear or near it, you've got a melee damage bonus of 500-600. This means that UK gives you +50-60 melee bonus damage. Considering that maybe half our DPS comes from melee, that's not worth the points.
I totally agree, but when you've got a ton of spare juice you may as well zap 'em for 20 seconds of a little extra damage. I've considered respec'ing those two points a number of times, but 10 seconds off Electrocute is the only thing close to being worth while. In my opinion, 2% damage reduction and 2 less Force for a Thrash is borderline crap. :/

Philosomanic's Avatar


Philosomanic
03.29.2012 , 01:43 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by mrHaterade View Post
I totally agree, but when you've got a ton of spare juice you may as well zap 'em for 20 seconds of a little extra damage. I've considered respec'ing those two points a number of times, but 10 seconds off Electrocute is the only thing close to being worth while. In my opinion, 2% damage reduction and 2 less Force for a Thrash is borderline crap. :/
If you're going to be using Shock at all, then you definitely need the talent for force cost reduction. The bonus to Thrash is small in short fights, but in a true sustained DPS situation (PvE boss fight) that's a pretty hefty damage boost. But yeah, that's kind of a nebulous area we have. There are a certain number of Balance/Madness talents you can't live without, but after that it's pretty much a toss-up.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

mrHaterade's Avatar


mrHaterade
03.29.2012 , 11:23 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Philosomanic View Post
The way I read it, Exploit Weakness can only proc on direct damage, which means you hitting them with lightning or a lightsaber. DoTs probably shouldn't trigger it.
Yeah, I tested it out this evening. I kept popping only Discharge and Creeping Terror and I never got Exploit Weakness to proc. Could be I had the worst luck ever, but I think Philosomanic is right.

Philosomanic's Avatar


Philosomanic
03.30.2012 , 07:30 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by mrHaterade View Post
Philosomanic is right.
My three favorite words :P
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

Ushela's Avatar


Ushela
03.30.2012 , 02:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by mrHaterade View Post
Yeah, I tested it out this evening. I kept popping only Discharge and Creeping Terror and I never got Exploit Weakness to proc. Could be I had the worst luck ever, but I think Philosomanic is right.
I guess with thrash, saber strike, crushing darkness, deathfield, shock, and assasinate all able to proc weakness, I get along fine with 1 point. Any more than that just seems like a waste to me if 1 point does the job.