Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need Advice on SOA Hard-Mode

Dee-Jay
03.30.2012 , 04:00 AM | #1
I've been raiding with a fairly casual but consistent group for the past two months.

We clear Eternity Vault in NM (up till SOA) and Karagga's Palace HM on a regular basis.

Aside from SOA, the Rancor is the only boss that causes us problems on a regular basis.

But then we get to SOA HM....and it's like suddenly the whole raid turn into mindless buffoons.

In the hour of tries we've put into the fight over the last few weeks we've only had a handful of attempts where everyone got into Phase 3. People, for some reason, just can't stop dying in Phase 2. It's mind-boggling.

We normally have 2 melees and 2 ranged DPS but have recently tried having everyone bunch up in the middle. It didn't really work any better.

Basically what I'm looking for is some practical advice on how to deal with the lightning orbs in Phase 2 and 3. This fight is making me hate my own group-members and I really don't want that.

PS: Is there any way you get get the Speeder to take your right to SOA instead of dumping you at the entrance of the woods-cave. The Speeder always dumps us at the cave after setting NM back to HM and it costs us at least 20 minutes every evening just running back to SOA.

HeVans_
03.30.2012 , 04:04 AM | #2
http://troopercommando.com/2012/03/1...ightmare-mode/#

Essentially, stack in the middle with EVERYONE.

Raid leader is only person talking.

When lightning balls are assigned targets, raid leader tells one target to go right and one to go left - regardless of whether the balls are on the right trajectory to each target this works, because then a ball NEVER goes through the middle. Once people have hit their balls they return to the middle stack.

Ranged dps focus on mind traps.

My guild achieved the Infernal title with this strategy.

Goodluck!
Raytard - 50 Mercenary
Behindju - 50 Operative

The Nightmare Lands
What's the difference between a duck?

Veriu
03.30.2012 , 06:15 AM | #3
You can also just have the person who's name is on top go to one side & the name on the bottom go to the other...that way there's less talking & the people don't need to wait to hear which way they should run. Also, lightning balls always spawn in front of Soa...so everyone other than the tank should be behind him so that they can see where the balls are coming from at all times.

We always have melee dps kill the mindtraps with the ranged, but then we generally end up running 3 melee & 1 ranged so we kinda have to or the mind traps wouldn't die fast enough.

In teaching some newer raiders in my guild the fight, the major problem they seem to have, is the transition at the end of phase 2. People run to the outer ring, forget that they have a ball coming after them and blow up the group right before the first drop down. Or, they forget that they need to get out of the middle and just run around dealing with the lightning ball and end up falling.

To solve this: if possible deal with the lightning ball on the way to the outer ring & then if needed have a sorc grip them. If not possible, people with lightning balls drop down first (the balls will blow up on them, but the whole group doesn't get hit as they are still up on the outer ring), everyone else waits till after the ball blows up and then drops down. Healers throw the ball people a few quick heals if they need, and then proceed through the drop phase as normal.

The hope I give you, is that phase 3 is much easier than phase 2 (as long as your tank is good). There is less damage going on, no whirlwinds, and with the boss being immune to damage, DPS are quicker to take down mindtraps due to not having anything else to do.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Ivy league educated research scientist working on solar cell development. So yeah, I have no need to feel "accomplished" in a videogame.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Call me when you've got 2 written recommendations from Nobel laureates and have attended annual private functions at the White House.

Skorched
03.30.2012 , 06:28 AM | #4
here is a vid we made of our 8 man encounter on nightmare. hopefully it will help a bit. also ill link how you increase your camera distance the way our tank is doing it. Starts at phase 2.

camera distance for tank

Go To: C:\Users\"Your Account"\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
Open the file: "account Name"_Account.
Find the entry - Controls_CameraMaxDistance =
Default is 25, i use 50. you can see this in the Soa kill vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zzv9...layer_embedded

skotish
03.30.2012 , 08:21 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Skorched View Post
here is a vid we made of our 8 man encounter on nightmare. hopefully it will help a bit. also ill link how you increase your camera distance the way our tank is doing it. Starts at phase 2.

camera distance for tank

Go To: C:\Users\"Your Account"\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
Open the file: "account Name"_Account.
Find the entry - Controls_CameraMaxDistance =
Default is 25, i use 50. you can see this in the Soa kill vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zzv9...layer_embedded
Wonder why when your max camera distance is 100% it looks nothing like your setting great tip though buddy
Quote: Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Palpetine: "... Not from a TOR dev."
TOFN Farquar'hoffe/Val'korsin

Mosene
03.30.2012 , 08:41 AM | #6
Just eat some balls like a pro.
No BIRD is made out of metal, unless it's a machine.

Onibubu
03.30.2012 , 09:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dee-Jay View Post
But then we get to SOA HM....and it's like suddenly the whole raid turn into mindless buffoons.
I can feel with you... happened to us also in the first three IDs.
It sounds stupid but just practice it.
Once they get the balls right the fight is easy as hell.
Knights of the Shadows, Vanjervalis Chain - Republik
T1:10/10 NM T2:4/4 HM
http://knightsoftheshadows.de/

Gellay
03.30.2012 , 11:03 AM | #8
Just a repetition of the former posts, but i'll list it anyway as i know your pain:

Phase 2:
----------

- Everyone should hav set their settings to ViewDistance=MaxRange and ShowEnemyNames=True (so you don't get that much disturbed by LightningBalls that already blew up but do not despawn after that)

- The whole group should stand together directly behind SOA, even the ranged ones. That makes it easier for the Healers to heal the whole group

- One person tells the names of Lightning-Ball targets in TS. These two people immediately leave the group to left and right. At least one healer focuses them to ensure they are at about 100% health and if possible shielded so they can run into their balls at save distance

- Whenever someone is in a MindTrap, he/she should just say "MindTrap" in TS, so the DPSers cann focus on the Trap - ignore further DPS on SOA for that time as phase 2 is about staying alive and has nothing to do with Enrage-Timers (Enrage-Timer Starts within Phase 3). After the Mindtrap is done reform the group behind SOA and continue DPS

- Noene should ever have less then ~50% Health, or they will surely die if trapped by a whirlwind

- When the Tank becomes the target of a LightningBall = Damage-Stop

- When one Healer gets mindtrapped or target of LightningBall - a DPSer with healing abilities should try to help on healings/shieldings (i.e. DPS Inquisitor)

- Phase 2 ends when SOA is at 30% Health. So if he is at about 35-33% tell it in TS. If the last Whirlwind is too long ago, Damage-Stop, wait for the next Whirlwind to appear and end and then DPS him to 30%

- If someone is still targetet by LightningBall after Phase 2 ended (transition phase when everyone runs down - that person should always stay some meters behind the group until the ball kicks in. It sounds harder then it is.

- Be patient on phase 2, don't try to down him fast, concentrate on keeping alive and beeing topped on health. The single Rez-Chance hou have is more important/needed in phase 3.

- If someone dies at the start of phase 2, rez him and slow down to take 5 minutes to finish phase 2 so you can use the rezz in phase 2 again.

Phase 3:
----------

- Again one person tells the targets of the lightning-balls. This time the balls will most of the time be kited whenever SOA gets vulnerable as the DPS is needed and be blown only when SOE is shielded.

- When SOA is shielded noone except the tank does damage on him - everyone else concentrates on the MindTraps

- Tank has to tell in TS 5-10 seconds BEFORE the shield will go down so the DPSers can reposition, blow balls or whatever they need to do to be ready for DPS-Phase.

- In DPS-Phase (SOA is vulnerable), leave MindTraps, kite existing Balls and concentrate on DPS on SOA

Anyways, in HardMode SOA is anyways always a piece of luck to kill because of that many bugs and the intense amount of RNG aspects (i.e. both healres get continously targetet by Balls or trapped) - but with enough training you can down the part of "needed good luck" to about 50-30%.

Good luck though on your next tries