Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Spike/Overload Mechanics - Flawed positioning

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Spike/Overload Mechanics - Flawed positioning

dksocal
03.27.2012 , 08:44 PM | #1
I have a mechanics/input issue to pose to the assassin community and hopefully somebody can shed some insight.

I've noticed quite frequently that my Spikes and Overload are sending people in the opposite direction you'd expect. I do the typical set up, Force Pull into fire/acid and then spike and finally electrocute.

However, sometimes they end up spiking through me and out the opposite side and clear of the hazard. Same goes for Overload knock backs and trying to clear ledges or nodes. I'll set up to knock them off or into the fire and they go clear in the other direction.

Is it something that's more to do with how the server interprets a player's location versus what I'm seeing or is just a flawed mechanic?

Astarica
03.27.2012 , 09:22 PM | #2
The mechanics for KB is pretty simple. The enemy always flies away from direction he is relative to you. However, due to server lag, a lot of time the enemy is not where he appears to be so you end up having completely unexpected results from KBs. There's really nothing you can do about it except hope you don't lag.

dksocal
03.27.2012 , 09:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
The mechanics for KB is pretty simple. The enemy always flies away from direction he is relative to you. However, due to server lag, a lot of time the enemy is not where he appears to be so you end up having completely unexpected results from KBs. There's really nothing you can do about it except hope you don't lag.
That's what I was figuring. I'm pretty good about eyeing the seemingly correct angle to knock a guy into the desired direction or spike him down into the desired location. I assumed it was as much a misrepresentation of client side vs server side interpretation of character locations.

Rendos
03.27.2012 , 11:59 PM | #4
i always thought it was based of the direction the character being KBed is facing Ex: LoS is pointed North no matter where the character is within your KB range will be thrown in the direction to the South dunno just some info id like confirmed

Enexemander
03.28.2012 , 11:14 PM | #5
True, but you can use a stun to hold them in place and then Overload if it's really important and they don't have any resolve. A situational tip, to be sure.

Astarica
03.29.2012 , 12:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Enexemander View Post
True, but you can use a stun to hold them in place and then Overload if it's really important and they don't have any resolve. A situational tip, to be sure.
Problem here is that if they started with 1/4 or more of Resolve, the Electrocute fills their resolve bar which guaranteeds the KB cannot possibly work. So, it's usually better to just take a chance and hope your screen isn't lying to you. I find that if you're trying to knock any particular person into fire/acid, you'll usually be disappointed. But if you find 3 guys next to acid/fire, chances are one of those guy will end up in a hazard no matter how they're placed.

dksocal
03.29.2012 , 01:23 PM | #7
Problem here is that if they started with 1/4 or more of Resolve, the Electrocute fills their resolve bar which guaranteeds the KB cannot possibly work. So, it's usually better to just take a chance and hope your screen isn't lying to you. I find that if you're trying to knock any particular person into fire/acid, you'll usually be disappointed. But if you find 3 guys next to acid/fire, chances are one of those guy will end up in a hazard no matter how they're placed.
That is me 90% of the time.

See a big group? Overload, and they all go into a hazard. See one guy? Set up the angles to get him into the acid for fire, WAT? he goes some other direction completely ungoverned by physics.