Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discharge consumes teh static charge buff??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Assassin
Discharge consumes teh static charge buff??

Incauta
03.29.2012 , 10:40 AM | #1
Sorry bout the double thread made the first one in the inquisitor general on accident.

So discharge consumes my static charge buffs, is this working as intended? because discharge is on a 15sec CD and it is impossible to get 5 stacks of static charge in that amount of time...so i rarely ever have more than about 3 stacks of it before i need to burn it off when i use discharge...

the tooltip does not say a thing about consuming the buff when i use discharge...it really makes the talent about worthless if you can only take advantage of half of it..

brgnomnom
03.29.2012 , 10:56 AM | #2
it works for pvp. discharge is a nuke you sometimes want to save for when your target is most vulnerable and ready to be killed. its not so great for those cut and dry strict dps rotations. i like having these kinds of choices. if there were no choices in our rotation it would be boring.

Incauta
03.29.2012 , 11:06 AM | #3
"when your surging charge deals damage you have a 50% chance to build a Static Charge which increases the damage of your next surging charge by 6% stacking up to 5 times."

thats the tool tip for it...says nothing about discharge being affected at by it at all....thats why i'm asking if its working as intended. There is little to no synergy for this ability to work with discharge.

Incauta
03.29.2012 , 11:15 AM | #4
236 is the damage on my surging charge tool tip, 1300 for my discharge for it.

even at a full 5 stack buff the surging charge effect won't break 310 on the tool tip.

If you hold off on discharge for any amount of time you have netted your self a dps loss.

Considering the talent doesn't effect the damage outcome of the discharge ability this makes no sense at all...

Philosomanic
03.29.2012 , 11:18 AM | #5
Well, the tooltip is incorrect. When you have two points in the talent, it goes up to a 100% chance. So every time Surging Charge deals damage, you get +6% damage to Surging Discharge. You're right that you'll almost never build up five charges of that. When I was an Infiltration Shadow (who, by the way, have the right tooltip), I found that I usually got 2-3 charges of this in between uses of Discharge. So basically, that talent is giving you roughly 15% damage to Discharge, assuming you use Discharge on rotation.

The only time you should save up all five charges is to break a stalemate. If two sides of a fight are heal-heavy and no one is dying, build up all five charges so your Shock -> Discharge -> Maul burst is even bigger. This will sometimes be the extra edge you need to push them down to 30%, get an Assassinate off, and break the stalemate.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

Incauta
03.29.2012 , 11:23 AM | #6
ok so the tool tip clearly says it buff only the damage of the actual surging [I]charge[I] as in teh passive damage proc....

are you saying it doesnt effect that damage and rather was meant all along to be discharge and the tool tip is backwards?

Herem
03.29.2012 , 11:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Incauta View Post
ok so the tool tip clearly says it buff only the damage of the actual surging charge as in teh passive damage proc....

are you saying it doesnt effect that damage and rather was meant all along to be discharge and the tool tip is backwards?
That's what he's saying. Static Charges affects the damage done by Discharge, not Surging Charge.

Philosomanic
03.29.2012 , 12:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Incauta View Post
ok so the tool tip clearly says it buff only the damage of the actual surging [I]charge[I] as in teh passive damage proc....

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If you look at the Jedi Shadow equivalent, you'll see that's the case. Ours says:

"When your Shadow Technique deals damage, you have a [50/100]% chance to formulate an Exit Strategy, increasing the damage dealt by your next Shadow Technique's Force Breach by 6%. Stacks up to 5 times."

Shadow Technique = Surging Charge
Force Breach = Discharge
Exit Strategy = Static Charge
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

Incauta
03.29.2012 , 01:02 PM | #9
thank you for clearing this up for me