Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

View Poll Results: What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?
'Raw' Open World 500 22.77%
PvPvE balanced 1,021 46.49%
Faction population capped 340 15.48%
Guild based (non-faction specific) 335 15.26%
Voters: 2196. You may not vote on this poll

DarkDruidSS
03.28.2012 , 05:32 PM | #21
I think PvPvE is pretty much the only option to get the Open World feel. If you are going to limit the player caps then it is just another instanced warzone... we will have 4 of those in 1.2, I don't think that is the right direction at all.

Population imbalances would mean "RAW" Open World would only exist when the patch comes out to add it then it would quickly die.

At least with PvPvE you can balance around the people in the zone by making the NPCs scale to the number of players. I think a NPC controlled 3rd faction is the perfect way to assist both sides depending on the current imbalance due to time of day or what have you.

It's not a system that should be rushed though, because poor implementation will just give the wrong vibe from BW on this. A lot of PvPers are already feeling slighted with 1.2s changes.

-edit-
Adding in some Guild vs Guild stuff would also be very nice, but with rated coming I don't think that is as needed since rated groups are mostly going to be single guilds anyway.
Beatrush - 50 Assassin | Satellitebeam - 50 Sniper
Katastrophe - 41 Powertech | Ømnislash - 34 Marauder
Highwind - 29 Commando | ßraver - 23 Sentinel
Finalheaven - 21 Sage | Bigbrawl - 14 Scoundrel

infedele
03.28.2012 , 05:36 PM | #22
Guild based - everyone is your enemy except players in your guild. Guilds claim objectives.

*.*

Great XD

hargrave
03.28.2012 , 05:40 PM | #23
Heres how to do the open world

PVP bases on other planets besides ilum.

Why should there be pvp bases on other planets?

Everyone cant be everywhere at once. This was the problem with ilum the outnumbered side couldnt go anywhere (except for warzones this is not a open world solution).

If there was other planet pvp bases it would thin out the fights and make it better for all. I see no negative to this if someone reading this does please let me know.

When one side is outnumbered and bieng camped they should have the option to go to other planets pvp bases. No one wants to be camped and have no where to go and warzones is not a solution to this issue.

heres how the quest for open world pvp should look like http://www.theimperialnetwork.com/wp...12/03/pvp2.jpg this is for ilum base take you can apply this pic to other planet base takes.

These pvp bases need to have base bosses that have 200k morale and it takes a raid to kill the base boss. This base boss should have a chance to drop a armor piece or pieces that everyone can roll on and also as the pic shows give the champ bags/bm coms for reward.

Having the open world pvp quest rewards be the highest valor gains and com gains/credit gains will make the open world pvp more interesting to everyone.
We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team.James Ohlen Ilum is bieng reworked as it wasnt a fun or exciting experience

Alaron
03.28.2012 , 05:48 PM | #24
I am in favor of faction capped open world PvP, provided that it is not simply designed to feel like a large scale battleground.

A good example of what I mean by this was Sony's MMOFSP, Planetside. Each continent/planet had a population limit of 133 players per faction, but there were a number of continents where a player could choose to fight.

That said, each continent itself was quite large, with multiple objectives. Objectives were structured in a lattice, such that you could only capture objectives which bordered/linked-to one that you already controlled. This would create a front line of battle to focus combat. At the same time, however, there were several lattice links active at any given point to allow for tactical play for those that did not want to simply join a "zerg".

Further tactics were introduced through associating desireable bonuses with different types of objectives, the ability to sabotage objectives behind the lines (which would block bonuses, but would not capture the territory), etc...

I think that this type of system would lend itself extremely well to a star wars game, though it would admittedly be a very significant undertaking.

Assaultrooper
03.28.2012 , 05:48 PM | #25
Guys u do realize the game is already out right? There is no "if" factions are un balanced.

So to put it simply I take it,

Raw equals ilum at the very start.
PVPVE equals post "fix"
The faction capped is something like Tol barad which is not really bad...
And guild is the current outlaws den... What if they made it large scale? Could be fun... But I can see large guilds just owning the place :/

Again I think most voted PvPvE remembering castle warfare... But with unlimited numbers the quality will drop ALOT just like it did in Ilum.
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
Just wonderin how AP is lookin pvp wise
Could be worse

hargrave
03.28.2012 , 05:51 PM | #26
Thats why pvp bases on other planets is needed. It would thin out the fights. The main problem with ilum is the outnumbered side had no where to go.

Quote: Originally Posted by Assaultrooper View Post
Guys u do realize the game is already out right? There is no "if" factions are un balanced.

So to put it simply I take it,

Raw equals ilum at the very start.
PVPVE equals post "fix"
The faction capped is something like Tol barad which is not really bad...
And guild is the current outlaws den... What if they made it large scale? Could be fun... But I can see large guilds just owning the place :/

Again I think most voted PvPvE remembering castle warfare... But with unlimited numbers the quality will drop ALOT just like it did in Ilum.
We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team.James Ohlen Ilum is bieng reworked as it wasnt a fun or exciting experience

pogmahone
03.28.2012 , 05:54 PM | #27
PvPvE balanced seems the best way to go with the way the balance issues are.

mschrader
03.28.2012 , 05:56 PM | #28
I really like the idea of having Guild Based OWPVP. This gives guilds something else to do as a guild. It encourages Pride and Teamwork.

This could even be brought into the realm of Attacking other guilds capital ships when they come in.

This not only creates a way to get rid of the bland repub vs empire battles and goes along with the cannon of during this era there is much infighting between dark side factions.

This can also bring into play the Alliances that you had pre game launch on the forums as well as a possibility to bring in another aspect of endgame content with a pvp meta game feature. With the possibility to add in new planets that are specifically for this new guild on guild action.

You still have the same leveling planets but adding in maybe 5 or 6 new planets with PVP in the main focus of them. You can gain valor commendations or even rare crafting mats for the the owning of certain territories. Maybe even and XP gain buff for your guild for different objectives held. Maybe even a monetary gain as well for over time holding of an area.

The possibilities are endless, This could truly make this game completely original in a way that really hasnt been seen before.

Run with it!!
EPIC
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

TheTitan_KoS
03.28.2012 , 05:56 PM | #29
As one if the poster's above mentioned the only way to make it more fair considering the faction balance is to make it guild based, and completely ignore the faction stuff.

If the guilds actually have something to fight for that will benefit the guild later on its the best you can get from open world pvp.

Raw open world is great but its never going to happen in a game that has ANY factions even if you somehow encourage ppl to make chars on both sides ( the 8 buffs you so fear for example) there will always be imbalance or ppl will simply switch to the char on the other side when they see it winning.

As for the other 2 options pvpve balanced and capped population they belong in instances for example warzones. If you can make bigger warzones say 24 v 24 or even 100 v 100 its still going to be a warzone and you should not call it open world especially if there are objectives that give advantages/points

So considering your poll has only 3 options ( raw, guild based and bigger warzones - which is not open world pvp) and the fact that you cant fix faction balance in a open uncapped world no matter how hard you try - there is no real choice there

I'm sure all would welcome bigger warzones specially if they are event based once a week/day with some cool story/rewards.

But if you want to do somehting for the open world pvp it has to be guild based with rewads for the winning guild.

Assaultrooper
03.28.2012 , 05:56 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by hargrave View Post
Thats why pvp bases on other planets is needed. It would thin out the fights. The main problem with ilum is the outnumbered side had no where to go.
Sorry but I am highly skeptical of ur solution... I mean if u think of ilum instances as planets (its not far fetched) what happened was everyone farmed the one instance or planet while all/most the other options were left like ghost towns
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
Just wonderin how AP is lookin pvp wise
Could be worse