Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Key Bindings, HELP!

teambff
03.27.2012 , 06:05 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
My approach has been to (largely) segregate movement and targeting from everything else. Movement goes on the mouse, as does targeting, and ability activation goes on the keyboard. Not having WASD for movement means I can map clusters of keys for different purposes (e.g. my Sawbones has his combat stuff on abut 1-5 and Q-T, and healing stuff on 8-= and U-]. Utility stuff like interrupts goes in between.

Having the mouse available for steering is the biggest advantage of keybinding, I feel, and this maximises the benefit, for me.
out of curiosity how do you perform complete movement with the mouse?
i never feel quite comfortable using it to move, solely. i like to use it as a circling move with both buttons held in, or quick movements but complete movement? it just doesn't seem to move the same way as with the keys and makes me feel awkward.

if i could manage complete movement with my mouse i would consider changing to that but so far i haven't felt comfortable with it. i think it's mainly due to how the camera moves without using the keys, in sync with the keys i can usually always keep the camera moving with the mouse at once and it keeps me balanced that way.
JOSS WHEDON is god!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vS4z6ngQo
"the scoobygang legacy" on server mind trick, and in all other games, and things, and in life.

Morefunnest
03.27.2012 , 10:00 PM | #12
Thanks everyone, doing my research now on the links. I have all week to try out SO MANY different combos. Again thanks for the tips. I find all of them uncomfortable because I still click! It's like an addiction! It will be hard but I bet I'll find something I'm comfortable with soon. Very helpful info. everyone, nice to see a good forum community

dosadnik
03.27.2012 , 11:18 PM | #13
Well i just started keybinding 3 months ago and now it feels natural. It really is as others said a personal thing. Also i started by keybinding one ability aka the most important one (for me at least). Then it was like man that ability i use a lot let's keybind it etc. And it evolved from there. And i won't tell you how my abilities are cause again it's a personal thing. But generaly people keybind 1-5 then the buttons around wasd, then you can have shift and ctrl and alt modifiers. Hope you figure it out and remember to always have fun.

Deamian
03.27.2012 , 11:44 PM | #14
let me add a little bit of insight.. some already stated. Since I play a marauder which every class but marauder/sentinel thinks is easy to play I'll post some of my keybinds.

R
Shift+R
E
Shift+E
V
Shift+v
X
Shift+X
Q
Shift+Q
F
Shift+F
G
Shift+G
Z
Shift+Z
Shift+W
Shift+1
Shift+2
Shift+3
Shift+4
Mouse Wheel click
Shift Mouse wheel click
Mouse thumb
Shift Mouse thumb

Think that's it.. I probably use all of those in 1 fight
Just because I watch my back more than I watch yours, doesn't mean I'm not behind you kid. ~~~Deamian Sharper

Acindo
03.27.2012 , 11:47 PM | #15
These are what I have used for years now.

12345QEZXCFV is my main hotbar. I find 6+ to annoying to reach.

I use a modifier + all of them for my second bar. (Shift, Alt, Ctrl, whichever you want)

Thats 24 abilities right there which is most of em.

I also use T G and F1-F8 (Anything above F4 is usually a buff or something you don't need to use whilst fighting)
Acindo - 66 Assassin - 2/31/8
Acindo - 71 Scoundrel - 3/31/7
The Spiral Legacy
Australian Gamer

Baelish
03.28.2012 , 02:07 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by teambff View Post
out of curiosity how do you perform complete movement with the mouse?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "complete movement", so I'll tell you in more detail how I've got the mouse set up for movement, and hope that answers the question.

For movement, I have the "forward" and "back" keys (as they work in normal Windows) bound to "autorun" and "move back".

I have both "strafe" directions bound to the tipping scroll wheel, so I push that right to strafe right, left to strafe left.

I have "Ctrl-S" assigned to the quick key for my speeder, and a button hits that (which is very useful for healing companions out of combat and outside...).

For short moves I use "mouserun" which is activated by pressing both keys. While the keys are held down, moving the mouse steers me.

For longer moves, I tap the autorun key and steer just using strafe (on the wheel) or the right mouse button.

If I want to click on something onscreen while I'm moving, I'll activate autorun and steer, if necessary, using strafe while I do.

I use the Fkeys to target my party for healing.

Quote:
...it just doesn't seem to move the same way as with the keys and makes me feel awkward...
It certainly does feel different. I find it to be infinitely smoother and easier to control, to the point that I can keep up with keyturners on their level 40 speeders, on my level 25 one, because I can clip corners more closely and pick better "shortest" routes more accurately.

Quote:
...in sync with the keys i can usually always keep the camera moving with the mouse at once and it keeps me balanced that way.
Not quite sure what you're doing here, as the camera turns when I steer using RMB or mouserun, without having to pan it manually...